Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GoG's Dead

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Alexandros said:
@ FellTheRads: Don't try to convince them, it's a lost cause. They'll just find some other lame excuse for downloading, you can't change their minds.

Well, I just think that the hate is misplaced. They should be hated for not fixing the compatibility they claim they fixed and for exclusive patches, like in the case of DD (at least I think it was DD), and for those things alone I would avoid buying from them, not for simply being a distribution service.

made

Arcane
Zeus said:
CrimHead said:
Who the fuck are you supporting by buying games from GOG?
Attic Entertainment Software (Realms of Arkania), or any of the other developers who've gone on record supporting sales of their games through GOG.

I'm curious how buying through GoG supports a dev studio that's been defunct for a decade. Got a link to them "going on record supporting sales of their games through GOG"?

Mortmal

Arcane
I cant redownload what i bought too, thats hilarious, i have no backup either, i was too naive i suppose.As much as i hate blind piracy, if i could get a bitgamer or under gamer invite to get my stuff back that would be nice.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
You'd think that with a business model like this they would have very little overhead and a pretty good profit margin. So, either their server costs hit the roof or they run into some legal trouble?

Anyway, if they won't let the dupes/customers redownload the games they bought the butthurt will be astronomical.

bonescraper

Trash said:
You'd think that with a business model like this they would have very little overhead and a pretty good profit margin. So, either their server costs hit the roof or they run into some legal trouble?

Anyway, if they won't let the dupes/customers redownload the games they bought the butthurt will be astronomical.
Jesus Fucking Christ. They're NOT dead. They're just having some rearrangments or some shit. There are rumours Steam is about to buy them.

As we already know, GOG.com will continue to operate. It means that it's current users should not worry about their games. This whole mess is just a marketing stunt aimed to create buzz in the media before press conference scheduled for Wednesday.

That being said, we managed to contact our anonymous source close to the GOG staff. What we learned is that service is going to be bought by one of it's rivals - Steam, to be precise. Please keep in mind that it's not an official announcement and we advise you to take this information with a grain of salt.

That being said, we must take note, that for some time Steam tried to get into the market of retro games, but it's prices weren't too approachable. Especially for European users who are forced to make their purchases using euro. Secondly - what will happen to "DRM-free" policy after the supposed merger? GOG says on it's website, that the idea behind service will remain unchanged. Does it mean that despite purchase, both services will remain separated?

We will keep an eye on this and will keep you posted as soon as we learn more.
Quote form a former CDProjekt games portal Gram.pl.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Fuck no. Steam treatment of older games is abysmal, and i'm still waiting for my goddamn Jedi Knight soundtrack (in digital format plz).

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
Trash said:

Already went over this.

GOG may or may not have been doing fine, but what's been dug up is that it's the parent company of CDP (Optimus, remember when that was news?) that's in massive debt and is almost worthless (6 mil net worth). Said company is getting bought out, probably by someone that wants a ready-made digital distribution service.

The GOG guys may not have even known about it until the last minute, which would explain the suddenness of this, with the site closing down in the middle of a promotion. It would also explain the silence, since I bet no CDP employees are allowed to talk about the deal before it goes through.

GOG had nothing to do with it directly. Somebody bought out Optimus which owns CD Projekt which runs GOG.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
bonescraper said:
Trash said:

Jesus Fucking Christ. They're NOT dead. They're just having some rearrangments or some shit. There are rumours Steam is about to buy them.

20030425007100510.jpg

denizsi

Arcane
Lyric Suite said:
Fuck no. Steam treatment of older games is abysmal, and i'm still waiting for my goddamn Jedi Knight soundtrack (in digital format plz).

I could patch you up with a disc image of the original.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
denizsi said:
Lyric Suite said:

I could patch you up with a disc image of the original.

And do what with it? The game still looks for audio tracks in the CD player, which means i'd have to burn the disk and stick it in the drive. What i want to know is why the guys at GoG were able to solve this problem with Total Annhilation while the faggots at Steam couldn't even be arsed to include the soundtrack at all.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I can't be the only one who always found annoying playing older games that used CD audio tracks, particularly after being told that it was something that just couldn't be fixed or hacked through, except now GoG did it, and i'd really like to know how.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Yeah... what the hell? If the disc image is done right, the game should take the tracks from it.

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
Lyric Suite said:
I can't be the only one who always found annoying playing older games that used CD audio tracks, particularly after being told that it was something that just couldn't be fixed or hacked through, except now GoG did it, and i'd really like to know how.

Somehow they hacked EXE's with this: http://audiere.sourceforge.net/

You'll find that DLL in MM6's install directory anyway, as well as a few other non-DOS CD-Audio titles, so that's how they did it there. Not sure how they managed that without source code access though.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
You might want to give the virtual drive the letter D. Not sure if this is the case here, but some old games really insist that the CD is in drive D.

spekkio

Arcane
Lyric Suite said:
And do what with it? The game still looks for audio tracks in the CD player, which means i'd have to burn the disk and stick it in the drive.
Lyric Suite said:
MetalCraze said:
Lyric Suite said:
And do what with it?
Put it inside your daemon tools virtual drive
I tried. It won't work.
And you call me a newfag? Glorious PC master race at it's best... :lol:

What FeelTheRads wrote: check if your Virtual CD/DVD is 1st non-hd drive in the system. Next-genified: set your physical DVD drive to Z: and virtual drive to X: or something like that.

MetalCraze

Arcane
FeelTheRads said:
You might want to give the virtual drive the letter D. Not sure if this is the case here, but some old games really insist that the CD is in drive D.
They just insist it's the first CD-ROM drive in the system. Letter doesn't matter, just make DT's drive first out of all -ROMs. I had the same problem with CD audio of Emperor of Fading Suns and doing that brought back the music.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom