Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GoG's Dead

Stabwound

Arcane
All signs point to terrible publicity stunt. Hilarious...ly bad. They could have done something that wouldn't piss off a ton of people.

Not that I have ever bought anything from them, or will if it returns.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Actually, now that I look at it:
We have recently had to give serious thought to whether we could really keep GOG.com the way it is. We've debated on it for quite some time and, unfortunately, we've decided that GOG.com simply cannot remain in its current form.

This doesn't mean the idea behind GOG.com is gone forever. We're closing down the service and putting this era behind us as new challenges await.
They could just be coming out of the BETA phase (and into the final) which has been in their logo for ages.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Quilty said:
Aw, come on, I was just about to redownload JA2.

Oh well, real men have a boxed copy of JA2 anyway. :smug:

You talking about that Shitty Sirtech box with the dubious 'mercenaries'? Don't know if there were others, but in Australia we got that one, it looked cheap as shit. Have it though... :smug:

reaven

Educated
Never trust a pole. When it gets back up I will download all my games to keep them safe in my HD.
What if you want to play one of your rightfully bough games today and you cant play due to this bullshit?
P.S. The new owner is Bobby Kotick

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
phanboy_iv said:
Best analysis/summation so far on the situation, not just speculation. Looks like Optimus was in major debt and somebody's moved in to take over:

Link.
The main appeal of GOG is that it's "100% DRM free". I don't want a fucking third party client or have GOG be DRM infested.

Why the hell would I buy from GOG if it had DRM? If I could just pirate their games with less hassle.

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
Reconite said:
phanboy_iv said:
Best analysis/summation so far on the situation, not just speculation. Looks like Optimus was in major debt and somebody's moved in to take over:

Link.
The main appeal of GOG is that it's "100% DRM free". I don't want a fucking third party client or have GOG be DRM infested.

Why the hell would I buy from GOG if it had DRM? If I could just pirate their games with less hassle.

If they do re-emerge, it may be simply that they will also, in addition to current DRM-free oldies, offer recent games with DRM if publishers so desire, a la GamersGate.

Silellak

Cipher
starwarsnoooo.jpg

noooooooo.jpg

noooooooooooooo.jpg

NooooooooooCat.jpg

Achilles

Arcane
It seems it's just a bad joke. I should be pissed, but now I'm just hopeful that gog will come back.

made

Arcane
Yea, where else would we buy cracked abandonware if not for GoG. :S

Naw just kidding, GoG's all right. Let em keep milking you sheeple for a bit longer, hopefully it'll help secure funding for TW.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Hobo Elf said:
And so begins the fallout of digital distribution. I haid a fair amount of games from GOG. I'd like the chance to re-download all the installers so I can back them up at the very least.
So, other people don't make backups just after downloading O_o ?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Zeus said:
Hobo Elf said:
And so begins the fallout of digital distribution. I haid a fair amount of games from GOG. I'd like the chance to re-download all the installers so I can back them up at the very least.

Er... why wouldn't you have those backed up?

Because it never really occured to me that they'd crash and burn this fast. But then this might be a (very) bad marketing ploy and GOG isn't really gone.

reaven

Educated
We should have all the gog games up in some tracker for these occasions...

Deleted member 7219

If this is a PR stunt then it is the worst PR stunt in history. Fuck them.

Multi-headed Cow

Mortmal said:
Quite weird , id like to know more about this, it was a convenient source of games for the lazy bums unable to setup dosbox or for when there was no seeds on piratebay on old games.
Speaking of this, is there a complete GoG installer catalog on a torrent somewhere? If GoG's gone tits up I'm gonna say it's abandonware and their pre-Dosboxed versions would be kinda nice. :M

Quilty

Magister
Multi-headed Cow said:
Mortmal said:
Quite weird , id like to know more about this, it was a convenient source of games for the lazy bums unable to setup dosbox or for when there was no seeds on piratebay on old games.
Speaking of this, is there a complete GoG installer catalog on a torrent somewhere? If GoG's gone tits up I'm gonna say it's abandonware and their pre-Dosboxed versions would be kinda nice. :M

There are several games from gog on demonoid, but not their whole catalogue.

CrimHead

Scholar
I don't get this thread. GOG sells abandonware.

Check out that last sentence again just in case you don't already feel like a dumbfuck consumerist.

THEY SELL

ABANDONWARE

AND YOU BUY IT

Who the fuck are you supporting by buying games from GOG? Good riddance I say. GOG were worse than pirates.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Zeus said:
If you buy it through Impulse it will. Besides piracy and $60 on eBay, that's the only option. Pretty sure the original had a disc check, which is more than GOG would have required.

Disc check is digital rights management how?
Besides you can always use NoCD.

Also I got mine before all these Impulse/Ebay bullshitz :smug:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I don't get this thread. GOG sells abandonware.

Do you understand what abandonware is? I don't think you do.

Also, do you know that the games they sold they got from the publishers, thus the games weren't abandonware anymore from that point on?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom