Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GoG's Dead

Zeus

Cipher
MetalCraze said:
Guys have you heard? Shadow Magic had DRM!

If you buy it through Impulse it will. Besides piracy and $60 on eBay, that's the only option. Pretty sure the original had a disc check, which is more than GOG would have required.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The patch 1.4 (i think) had no copy protection.

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
Rumor is a company bought out CDP parent company Optimus, which would explain the recent rise and then slight dip of Optimus shares.

My take: A (western?) company wanted to buy their way into digital distribution, and bought out the parent company. GOG'll back under a different name with modern games and DRM.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
:x

Good that I managed to grab Commandos ammo pack before it was too late.

But I think it's just an elaborate troll and 'lololo changing site name and bringing more quality than ever!1' anyway.

Tails

Arbiter
I won't be surprised if GoG comes back and call this a hilarious joke for end of beta. If not... oh well.

Zeus

Cipher
SCO said:
The patch 1.4 (i think) had no copy protection.

Regardless, I doubt Impulse will make an exception to their own brand of DRM, so that leaves me with $60 on eBay.

...or piracy, and considering the guy who designed AoW is still onboard Triumph Studios, which is currently all, "Hey! Buy our games on Impulse and GOG!" this isn't one of those infamous RPGCodex "Gonna pirate it cuz the devs won't get the money anyway :smug:" situations.

Quilty

Magister
Aw, come on, I was just about to redownload JA2.

Oh well, real men have a boxed copy of JA2 anyway. :smug:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I'd rather have it be a rather bad joke than see it for real. Then again it reminds me when the public tv here announced one evening that the north declared independence and Belgium ceased to exist. Good times.

ironyuri

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23418875&postcount=240

People, relax. It's just a marketing stunt. Worse one ever. I don't know who at CDP thought this was a good idea to drop the beta and go final in such manner, but he's a moron.

And yes, it is a stunt, CEO warned financial forums couple days ago to ignore what will appear on Gog site soon. .t. It's a mess overall...23rd there was supposed to be full blown conference (like the one in Spring, when they've shown Witcher 2 for the first time), but it was just annouced it won't happen and there will be online conference instead.

Anyway, bassicaly GoG is simply ending it's beta phase and going final, that's all. Some speculate it will get a standalone client too.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
ironyuri said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23418875&postcount=240

People, relax. It's just a marketing stunt. Worse one ever. I don't know who at CDP thought this was a good idea to drop the beta and go final in such manner, but he's a moron.

And yes, it is a stunt, CEO warned financial forums couple days ago to ignore what will appear on Gog site soon. .t. It's a mess overall...23rd there was supposed to be full blown conference (like the one in Spring, when they've shown Witcher 2 for the first time), but it was just annouced it won't happen and there will be online conference instead.

Anyway, bassicaly GoG is simply ending it's beta phase and going final, that's all. Some speculate it will get a standalone client too.

wow if this is true then that is one of the most retarded idea some one most have gotten EVER!.

spekkio

Arcane
It struck me that they make an effort of changing their browser icon while going belly-up.

So, yeah - stupid marketing gimmick.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
And so begins the fallout of digital distribution. I haid a fair amount of games from GOG. I'd like the chance to re-download all the installers so I can back them up at the very least.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Some speculate it will get a standalone client too.

What? So you'll need some steam-like crap to the play the games too?

But hey, it will be good, along with supposedly fixed bugs that aren't fixed and so on.

Zeus

Cipher
Hobo Elf said:
And so begins the fallout of digital distribution. I haid a fair amount of games from GOG. I'd like the chance to re-download all the installers so I can back them up at the very least.

Er... why wouldn't you have those backed up?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Heh, I also found that "don't believe what you see on gog.com" line from Kicinski. It's beyond my comprehension that anyone, even a Pollack, could try to pull such a joke. I'd rather think that, maybe, some other guy was officially in charge of Gog and he went rogue after the share-related business I wrote about before.

I.C. Wiener

Educated
Fucking idiots, all of them. I was going to by Realms of Arkania eventually but a stunt like this lost my business forever. And if it isn't a publicity stunt, still fuck them for poor financial management. How do you fuck up a business where all you have to pay for is a little bandwidth?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom