Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

FO3-specific nerd-rage thread, with extra lulzy quotes.

denizsi

Arcane
I must say, reading this stuff really does make me feel smarter and more satisfied with my level of overall intelligence. Is this what the ignorant masses are like? I can only glance down at them and chuckle to myself.

Don't overshoot. Masses are really just fucking stupid. One doesn't necessarily need a high level of intelligence to feel superior.

Deleted member 7219

darthdarther said:
Can't decide if the 1UP guy is trolling. Can't decide if this guy is trolling either:

Hey Im 15 and my pastor caught me playing Gears of War, and told me that he did not agree with the message of that game. He said that the game obvioubsly had demonic elements such as the reptile people you fight, and the fact that you go underground into a hell like cavern. I told him ok, and that I would stick with more christian oriented games such as Call of Duty 4 and Burnout Paradise. So I am now wondering if this game is consistent with christian values, as in recent preaviuws I heard there are undead creatures. Thanks.

Unlike a lot of folks here, I'm really looking forward to Fallout 3. It's better than having no Fallout, and I don't think Bethesda will carry Oblivion's issues over to FO3. One day, though, I hope to see a proper Fallout game developed on the Silent Storm engine.

I think you can call Poe's Law on that one.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
having no fo3 is better than having no FO at all. i think everyone on this forum can agree with that simple logic.

Silellak

Cipher
aweigh said:
having no fo3 is better than having no FO at all. i think everyone on this forum can agree with that simple logic.

I wouldn't.

Is having three terrible Star Wars prequels that crap all over the continuity and characters from the original three worth better than having no prequels at all?

Is having two pointless Matrix sequels that only served to dilute the brand and ideas in the original better than having no sequels at all?

More is not always greater than less. I'd rather see a franchise end while it's ahead then die a slow, painful death.

darthdarther

Novice
aweigh said:

It's not like FO3 will be utter, unplayable rubbish that will destroy all possibility of a proper sequel ever being made.

Helton

Arcane
If anything the profits garnered from Fallout 3 will ensure a more true-to-form sequel as was to be the case with Tactics and BOS.

darthdarther

Novice
Helton said:
If anything the profits garnered from Fallout 3 will ensure a more true-to-form sequel as was to be the case with Tactics and BOS.

Those bombs weren't even an attempt at an RPG.

Helton

Arcane
Well, true, bombs are typically planted or dropped while RPGs are launched... But they both explode.

And explosions are what modern gamers are looking for. How I learned to stop worrying and just love the bomb.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

yes

Is having three terrible Star Wars prequels that crap all over the continuity and characters from the original three worth better than having no prequels at all?

no

Is having two pointless Matrix sequels that only served to dilute the brand and ideas in the original better than having no sequels at all?

no

Monocause

Arcane
What the fuck
Back to the Fable II review for a moment:

softening an enemy up with your sword before finishing them off up close with your rifle.

Soften the enemy with a sword and finish him off with a rifle. Am I the only one to see Bethesda logic at work here?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
darthdarther said:
It's not like FO3 will be utter, unplayable rubbish that will destroy all possibility of a proper sequel ever being made.

helton said:

At first I was like :lol:

Then I was like :( :cry:

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Bethboy Dumbfuck McRetard said:
However, there have been certain advances with gameplay. There are now more features, better animation, dialogue (there wasn't any in the originals I might add), some very innovative mechanics
edf1643420e9b3d086be2912d85299d2f93c23f1.gif

Dire Roach

Prophet
Darth Roxor said:
MisterStone said:
I think they should make a game where you repeatedly punch a big red button, this would play a five-minute segment of a film about a super-badass character who becomes the leader of all the coolest guilds in a scifi/fantasy world before kicking everything's ass, buying a totally awesome house, and saving the world. No point in any other shit getting in the way of my fun.

Statbuilder
Button mashing is a technological limitation. Progress Quest is decades ahead of its time.

Kaiserin

Liturgist
I think you can call Poe's Law on that one.
There was a home schooled kid that I lived down the street from for a short time. His parents wouldn't let him play ff7 because it had magic in it. No magic, no demons, and no blood, and they seriously believed it was 'the Christian thing to do.'

Jaime Lannister said:
Cloaked Figure said:
man its just like, what do you do, ya know? pretty soon you just get jaded and start ignoring this shit. its like liberal teachers, they keep letting their bias spill into the lesson but you learn to live with thtat shits.

Libertarian teachers are even worse.

How :goon: of you to stereotype an entire ideology based on the numbnuts you read/read about on D&D.

Also initial quoted posts aren't terribly stupid. Ignorant, yes, but not anything crazy. If Fallout doesn't suit hem, whatever. It's their life, their call about what they wish to amuse themselves with. It's just crossing into stupidity when they make dumb blanket generalizations or try to extrapolate their tastes onto others by labeling things "outdated" or "innovative" when they most certainly aren't.

DraQ

Arcane
szoreny said:
I picked up both Fallouts from the GoG.com beta but didn't finish either like I planned to. I think they're fine games, but the whole top-down turn-based thing doesn't sit quite right with me ten years after its relevancy.

That's right. Relevancy = every game in every genre looking and playing exactly the same.
That just begs for a (de)motivator.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
MisterStone said:
I think they should make a game where you repeatedly punch a big red button, this would play a five-minute segment of a film about a super-badass character who becomes the leader of all the coolest guilds in a scifi/fantasy world before kicking everything's ass, buying a totally awesome house, and saving the world. No point in any other shit getting in the way of my fun.

It can't be that simple, sir. There have to be subtleties to this interaction. For instance, punching the button HARD will dispense candy.

Also, the button should be shaped like a boob.

franc kaos

Liturgist
Somebody said:
Evolution theory: "It's a completely different game. Games evolve. They went from pong to doom to quake to half life to call of duty to battlefield to Half life 2. (Shooters are the pinnacle of evolution. That explains his interest in FO3 - VD) You can't just get stuck in the past, stopping evolution, because you think you prefer it that way. We haven't played the game yet. We don't know if it's gonna be crappy compared to it or not...

Apart from graphics though, what else has evolved in B's FPS? (discounting animation - which Bethesda seem to be stuck in the 90's with), everything appears to have devolved.

AI: shoot one character and his neighbour doesn't notice - even miss an NPC and it stands there completely oblivious.

Sneaking has become a binary on/off situaton and doesn't appear to rely on shadows (probably 'cause they had to remove them so the 360 wouldn't judder to a halt or burst into flames).

No companions - too hard in 3D due to atrocious pathfinding routines.

NPCs still can't do stairs properly or inclines (tho Braben was working on that in the 90's).

Levitation (or, you know, flying in a glider) is a no no, as is having a decent enough engine to allow the player to drive thru vast swathes of wasteland in a working vehicle.

'The more things change, the more they stay the same...'

Skankster

Novice
As has always been the case.

Look at the Bioware games, graphics up, gameworld smaller, less dialogue, less quests, less companions, less challenge, etc.

Same with the Elder Scrolls.

Shit, same as what happened to the Ultima's

Graphics have been a real killer when it comes to gameplay. Perhaps it is the modular design of the PC, or people always willing to upgrade or buy the newest console. The C64, Amiga, whatever all had a certain graphical "ceiling". This meant that you had to do something better than the opposition, and it was difficult to beat them with graphics.

These days, shine always comes first.

And someone said something about relevancy meaning everything from every genre starting to look more and more the same. Same shit is happening with cars, they are all starting to look the goddam same. Next it will be people :!:

Devil

Scholar
Helton said:
The Brazilian Slaughter said:
When I feel stupid, I come to the Codex and to NMA to find comments by dumbasses about FO3.

You must lurk 24/7, huh?
Not to mention VD, who is lurking here 24/7 only to tell us how much we suck, what a fag.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom