Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

FO3-specific nerd-rage thread, with extra lulzy quotes.

Skankster

Novice
About the Fallout cave; That is impossible. Nobody can be that stupid. As a kid I was playing games that make Fallouts difficulty seem like fucking fairy cakes, and this guy found it difficult leaving a cave with only one exit? Then headed south on the map thingie, totally missing the green circle? No, just no.

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
Fuck. Me. Dead. All I'm saying is that Beth had better left in crotch shots. Oh, wait.

The Cave was a no brainer admittingly, I'd imagine he was payed to say really silly things?

But hey I'm sure Fable 2 will be our RPG saviour, amirite?

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Im personally getting rather pissed off by people complaining about high scores!! Do you not want to play good games or something?
How can anyone complain that there are too many 10/10 games? Surely thats a good thing?
Gotta be a piss take.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, that's it. I've lost my faith in human intelligence.

1eyedking

Erudite
FO3-specific nerd-rage thread said:
Oh, well. At least I can rage for a couple of minutes with my friend over the phone.

Keep 'em coming.

Xor said:
Well, that's it. I've lost my faith in human intelligence.
Sincerely, there wasn't much hope to be had in the first place.

Section8

Cipher
This is fun!

Fable II explores what happens when a game does away with most forms of punishment, and does nothing but retard its players from start to finish. The results are astonishing.

Well I personally like the idea of a game that doesn't punish me but retards me instead as I play games for the experience not particularly for the challenge. I play games for F.U.N. I'm loving Saints Row 2 at the moment because it has a Casual setting and constantly throws retards at me (but not too many Achievement points, ahem).

Change that one letter, and suddenly it all makes sense. And I mean that literally. Operant conditioning will make you a retard.

Avu

Liturgist
It's time like these that make me think mass genocide is in the best interest of humankind.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
but Fallout 1 is up for for free on Gametap. Tried it there, but I couldn't get into it. Got out of the cave (took me a while, to find out just how to do it) and followed that huge map thing south. Anyways, I'm definitely getting Fallout 3. I think it'll be a little more user friendly.

I wonder if this guy can use a GPS or a standard map then. There's a reason why maps are top down and GPS navigators are a tilted top down view, because it's easier to find your way around things if you get a bigger picture of what's around you.

Kaiserin

Liturgist
Skankster said:
About the Fallout cave; That is impossible. Nobody can be that stupid. As a kid I was playing games that make Fallouts difficulty seem like fucking fairy cakes, and this guy found it difficult leaving a cave with only one exit? Then headed south on the map thingie, totally missing the green circle? No, just no.
Yeah seriously, I was 11 years old when that shit came out and I managed to beat the first one. How the fuck do you get it wrong? You click the gun(very visible), then a crosshair comes up, everything has a little percentage over it when you highlight it, you seem to hit more often when the percentage is higher... :roll:

MisterStone

Arcane
I think they should make a game where you repeatedly punch a big red button, this would play a five-minute segment of a film about a super-badass character who becomes the leader of all the coolest guilds in a scifi/fantasy world before kicking everything's ass, buying a totally awesome house, and saving the world. No point in any other shit getting in the way of my fun.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
MisterStone said:
I think they should make a game where you repeatedly punch a big red button, this would play a five-minute segment of a film about a super-badass character who becomes the leader of all the coolest guilds in a scifi/fantasy world before kicking everything's ass, buying a totally awesome house, and saving the world. No point in any other shit getting in the way of my fun.

Statbuilder

Helton

Arcane
Thought I'd posted this.

Comedy Gold thread:
http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index ... pic=889667

Statement: "It's a "sequel" to one of the greatest RPG series, but it kept VERY LITTLE from previous titles. It far more resembles post-apocalyptic Oblivion."

ReBUTTal: "Other than the change in combat view, what has actually changed? It's moved to DC. There are still vaults. It has Brahmin. WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT!?"

Ausir to the rescue: "One question - have you played previous Fallouts?"

Evolution theory: "It's a completely different game. Games evolve. They went from pong to doom to quake to half life to call of duty to battlefield to Half life 2. (Shooters are the pinnacle of evolution. That explains his interest in FO3 - VD) You can't just get stuck in the past, stopping evolution, because you think you prefer it that way. We haven't played the game yet. We don't know if it's gonna be crappy compared to it or not.

Edit: Oh, and just to clarify? I have played the originals. I actually don't think they were all that. They were great back then, but nowadays, they just don't compare."

Ausir's logic attack: "This is not evolution. First person and real time is not "move evolved" nor newer than top-down and turn-based. It's just replacing the Fallout design philosophy with the Elder Scrolls one. There's no progress here, it's simply Bethesda that is not able to a game different than the ones they've been doing for 14 years.

Most Elder Scrolls fans wouldn't be thrilled about a top-down, turn-based Elder Scrolls 5 either."

FALLOUTS DIDNT HAVE ANY DIALOGUES!!!: "You think that the only things that have evolved from those is the different perspective and the real time!? Goodness me. Graphics is a given, yes, that was inevitable. Even if the game was turn-based it would have better graphics. However, there have been certain advances with gameplay. There are now more features, better animation, dialogue (there wasn't any in the originals I might add), some very innovative mechanics (VATS for one. I know some people hate it, but I think it's great. OPINION).

I do see where you are coming from, but you have to consider this: Some things may not be up to standard, but nowadays so much work is put into non-gameplay parts such as graphics it's ridiculous. It's necessary as well. You cannot honestly say that if a game nowadays had the graphics level of, say, half life 1, you would buy it, even if it had the most innovative mechanics possible to imagine.

Now, you can say that you really enjoyed fallout 1 and 2, despite the poor graphics. But that was then, this is now. Standards are higher. Games aren't about thrilling story and great gameplay anymore, it's all about the graphics. There are exceptions, obviously, such as Bioshock. That had gameplay, mechanics and a great story. I was genuinely sucked into that game, which no game has ever actually done to me other than that. Love it. I would much prefer to play Bioshock 2 than Fallout 3, if I was honest. Anyway, where was I? Ah yes.

Diablo 3? No no no, you're confusing a recreation with imitation. Recreation has a certain amount of innovativeness, a certain personal touch. Something DIFFERENT. Diablo 3, from what I have seen, is exactly the same game as the first 2, with all the finger-straining click-fest with it. Hell, it even has the same classes with different names. I can see what you mean about something entirely different, but here's the clincher:

Different does not mean bad.
Different means new.
Different means not the same
Different means original"

Radisshu

Prophet
Statement: "It's a "sequel" to one of the greatest RPG series, but it kept VERY LITTLE from previous titles. It far more resembles post-apocalyptic Oblivion."

ReBUTTal: "Other than the change in combat view, what has actually changed? It's moved to DC. There are still vaults. It has Brahmin. WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT!?"

He's got a point! It's got both the defining features of Fallout.

MisterStone

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
MisterStone said:

Statbuilder

Yeah, Statbuilder was pretty awesome back in the day, but games have evolved since then. Only a game with slick blooming next-gen graphics in gonna get my nickel.

MaskedMan

very cool
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Helton said:
Games evolve. They went from pong to doom to quake to half life to call of duty to battlefield to Half life 2. (Shooters are the pinnacle of evolution. That explains his interest in FO3 - VD)
You forgot to change this part :!:.

MisterStone

Arcane
I must say, reading this stuff really does make me feel smarter and more satisfied with my level of overall intelligence. Is this what the ignorant masses are like? I can only glance down at them and chuckle to myself.

I just wish someone would make a damn RPG that I want to play goddammit.

darthdarther

Novice
Can't decide if the 1UP guy is trolling. Can't decide if this guy is trolling either:

Hey Im 15 and my pastor caught me playing Gears of War, and told me that he did not agree with the message of that game. He said that the game obvioubsly had demonic elements such as the reptile people you fight, and the fact that you go underground into a hell like cavern. I told him ok, and that I would stick with more christian oriented games such as Call of Duty 4 and Burnout Paradise. So I am now wondering if this game is consistent with christian values, as in recent preaviuws I heard there are undead creatures. Thanks.

Unlike a lot of folks here, I'm really looking forward to Fallout 3. It's better than having no Fallout, and I don't think Bethesda will carry Oblivion's issues over to FO3. One day, though, I hope to see a proper Fallout game developed on the Silent Storm engine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom