Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

FO3-specific nerd-rage thread, with extra lulzy quotes.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
This is from 1UP.com editor "Daniel"'s company blog:

From my past experiences with previous Bethesda Softworks games, I know once Fallout 3 is released, I am going to spend every waking moment on it. The thing is though, I never played Fallout 1 or 2. I could purchase the Fallout Collection on Amazon and play through all of the games this entire week, but I am having way too much fun with Fable II & Saint's Row 2 in order to give Fallout 1 & 2 the time and dedication they deserve.

These are a few choice quotes from the very first responses:

I picked up both Fallouts from the GoG.com beta but didn't finish either like I planned to. I think they're fine games, but the whole top-down turn-based thing doesn't sit quite right with me ten years after its relevancy.

The world is STILL pretty god damn well realized, which is super shocking, but I don't know how much more I'll play of Fallout before dabbling in and inevitably dropping Fallout 2.

but Fallout 1 is up for for free on Gametap. Tried it there, but I couldn't get into it. Got out of the cave (took me a while, to find out just how to do it) and followed that huge map thing south. Anyways, I'm definitely getting Fallout 3. I think it'll be a little more user friendly.

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8919501&publicUserId=5685007

Anyway, don't let this become 1UP specific! Post any and all hilariously retarded FO-related statements. 8)

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
aweigh said:
Got out of the cave (took me a while, to find out just how to do it)

No... this is... impossible...

people can't be that retarded... PLEASE TELL ME IT'S FAKE.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Cloaked Figure said:
man its just like, what do you do, ya know? pretty soon you just get jaded and start ignoring this shit. its like liberal teachers, they keep letting their bias spill into the lesson but you learn to live with thtat shits.

Libertarian teachers are even worse.

DefJam101

Arcane
PROTIP: <s>To get out of the cave, follow the cave until you reach the exit.</s> No one ever leaves the vault.

SpaceKungFuMan

Scholar
At this point, could Bethesda closing shop even save the industry? It seems like the fans are so stupid at this point that mainstream PC RPGs may be beyond salvage, because these idiots would not even understand or appreciate games from a new golden age. Right now, an Arcanum 2 with moder graphics, no bugs, and perfectly balanced combat would probably even fail based on what RPG fans expect/are capable of understanding.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'd love to play Fallout 3, but this whole "first person realtime combat" shtick just doesn't sit quite right with me over ten years after its relevancy.
I shall always remember Ultima Underworld fondly though. 3D first person RPGs have their time and place in the world, and the time is the last millenium.

Time to move on.

PS:

I couldn't get into it. Got out of the cave (took me a while, to find out just how to do it) and followed that huge map thing south. Anyways, I'm definitely getting Fallout 3. I think it'll be a little more user friendly.
More like moron friendly. This is why I am proud to be elitist. Of course, I never imagined "eilitist" would come to mean "not a complete moron" but there you go.

DefJam101

Arcane
SpaceKungFuMan said:
Right now, an Arcanum 2 with moder graphics, no bugs, and perfectly balanced combat would probably even fail based on what RPG fans expect/are capable of understanding.

I dunno man, if it was hyped enough...

Hell, with hype, the content doesn't matter. It's all about how you make the content sound and how it compares to the current standard. Once today's "innovashun" becomes normal, going back to how things were in '99 could be considered innovation if you attach an appropriate amount of blabbering praise to it from the gaming media. I've convinced people that were 'Bethtards' to play Fallout and to play Bloodlines and PS:T and such; and they liked it. They just went into it with such a skewed mindset that I am 100% sure they would have hated all 3 of those games had I not been there to guide them. :?

DefJam101 said:
Hell, with hype, the content doesn't matter.

That's entirely true, of course, but I can't understand why Fallout 3's hype has been so successful, since it's all about stupid features and more stupidity. Why are people excited about this?

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
That's entirely true, of course, but I can't understand why Fallout 3's hype has been so successful, since it's all about stupid features and more stupidity. Why are people excited about this?
Newsflash: PEOPLE ARE FUCKING STUPID.

DefJam101

Arcane
DefJam101 said:
Hell, with hype, the content doesn't matter.

A) They are retarded.

B) They aren't familiar with the original concept, or the concept the game is supposed to be continuing. One might say, "Yeah, so what? The game design decisions still suck shit?" Well, yes... they do. That is the glory of hype, though. People will laugh at a TV show if they think they are supposed to be laughing. You can convince someone that something is funny. People will praise game design choices if they think they are supposed to be praising it. You can convince people that they like something, and people will go right along with it without knowing.

It's just consensus; I know this because talking to friends (non-gamers) about games is like talking to people about movies they saw on Wikipedia. They will express a common opinion on a game based on what hype/user feedback has been shown tothem. The moment you retort, saying anything from- "That game sucked ass, you know." to "I dunno man. It wasn't that good."- they immediately retract their opinion and present a weaker one, simply agree with you, or even admit they have never played the game. The only reason this is different on the internet is because anonymity promotes fanboyism, as it's much easier to gather a consensus of how 'AWESUM!!!' this game is when you're in a forum surrounded by people who think the game is teh awesum. Either that, or see answer A.

MetalCraze

Arcane
pkt-zer0 said:
Newsflash: PEOPLE ARE FUCKING STUPID.

People are fucking sheep. They will buy stuff simply because hype says it's COOL for [insert year here].

MisterStone

Arcane
Geezus H Keerist. Are video game journalists really this fucking stupid, or are they actually trying to troll "Vince D Weller" based on some of his more confrontational interviews/reviews? I mean, the "10 years after its relevance" seems just a bit too spot on for it to be a coincidence...

DefJam101

Arcane
Fable II explores what happens when a game does away with most forms of punishment, and does nothing but reward its players from start to finish. The results are astonishing.

1180993442620rk0iz5.gif

edit: Oh my, god look at those fucking comments!

edit2:

Now the interesting thought here, is Fable II going to poo on Fallout 3's bonfire in the free roaming RPG stakes? If I had both pre-ordered and was looking to ditch one, it would be F3.
Im personally getting rather pissed off by people complaining about high scores!! Do you not want to play good games or something?
How can anyone complain that there are too many 10/10 games? Surely thats a good thing?

Well I personally like the idea of a game that doesn't punish me but rewards me instead as I play games for the experience not particularly for the challenge. I play games for F.U.N. I'm loving Saints Row 2 at the moment because it has a Casual setting and constantly throws rewards at me (but not too many Achievement points, ahem). Too often I've played games and got stuck at a certain point only to never finish them despite wanting to (Ninja Gaiden I'm looking at you!!!). BioShock was awesome because it wasn't just a great game but also one that never felt like it punished me so if Fable II's approach is like that then it will be one of the best games this year for me. Roll on Thursday/Friday! :D

Oh god! Oh god! Why? Why god, WHY??

edit 3:

As to these preconceptions about how long a game should be its an utter load of nonsense. I dont want a game that takes 40-50 hour, or in some people's opinion ideally 100+ hours, to finish. RPGs are only normally that long because they require ridiculous amounts of levelling up before you can acheive anything. Particularly as someone who likes to take their time with a game, if this was a long game I would probably end up never finishing it. The problem is that before the review is even out people have already decided what the game should be. They've already decided it needs to be long, or they've already decided it needs to be punishing and make you pay with your soul and cripple your mental resolve when you die. Basically, they want it to be the same as generic game #456.

WHAT

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom