Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

First Deus Ex 3 Screens

Rohit_N

Prophet
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
dx_hr_screenshot_hacking2.jpg

Destroid

Arcane
These guys talk about making games immersive and then put xbox controls all over the screen and have achievements pop up while you play. Gay.

MapMan

Arcane
Combat indeed looked a little bit popamole but thats todays standard... Anyway, the city looked nice, convos were good and stealth wasnt bad either.

BTW: The woman (writer) said "Thats the fun of making video games". Tell that those programmers who spend 12 hours a day debugging someone's else code. That's where all the fun is! :lol:

Black

Arcane
MapMan said:
Combat indeed looked a little bit popamole but thats todays standard...
And? What exactly are you trying to say? Choose your words carefully.

Topher

Cipher
Destroid said:
These guys talk about making games immersive and then put xbox controls all over the screen and have achievements pop up while you play. Gay.

This.

zeitgeist

Magister
Topher said:
Destroid said:
This.
Well, putting the controls all over the screen isn't a bad thing in and of itself, I never had a problem with computer games prompting me to (f)ight, or open the (i)nventory in an on-screen menu, or even having to click on-screen arrows to move forward and backward and such. I'd say that the complaints about those are more about what they represent symbolically (a game that is absolutely not made for "us"), and about how they resemble real life button counterparts, so they don't fit into the interface that well.

IIRC Fallout 3 had a reasonably tasteful visual implementation of those.

MapMan

Arcane
Black said:
MapMan said:
Combat indeed looked a little bit popamole but thats todays standard...
And? What exactly are you trying to say? Choose your words carefully.

What I meant is now a days most games are like that, so I'm not suprised deus ex has it too and was pretty much expecting it. Whether I like it or not is a whole different matter.

bonescraper

UserNamer said:
Rohit_N said:

those soldiers look so unoffensive and easy to kill making all those fancy cyborg magic super powers complete overkill.
Jesus... It's a trailer. Promotional stuff, you know. And it's a damn good one i'll say. It shows tactics, the UI and the inventory screen (no more IW consolized busshit). I don't like the 3rd person sticky cover system, but apart from that, this game looks surprisingly good. From what i've seen so far it definitely plays like a Deus Ex game.

bonescraper

Darth Roxor said:
Wow, that interface looks Fallout 3-level retarded.

opera2010111817525432.jpg

Looks decent to me. No endless scrolling, no pip-boy bullshit, pretty intuitive. Hell, its way better than Gothic/Two Turds.

:retarded:

juggernaut

Educated
laser that shoots through cover :thumbsup:

And it's a trailer, so of course he's going to be invincible and the bad guys are going to die in one shot. Just play it on hard like every other game of the last decade.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
bonescraper said:
Looks decent to me. No endless scrolling, no pip-boy bullshit, pretty intuitive. Hell, its way better than Gothic/Two Turds.

:retarded:

The inventory looks 'regular', sure, but that wheel menu that keeps popping up all the time? Even when you want to throw a FUCKING GRENADE? No, thanks, it sucked in Alpha Brotocol and will most likely suck here. And from that trailer, I couldn't help but feel that half the time spent in this game will be used trudging through wheel menus that have their own sub-menus to access even more sub-menus in order to do anything other than the most basic actions.

Destroid

Arcane
zeitgeist said:
Topher said:
Destroid said:
This.
Well, putting the controls all over the screen isn't a bad thing in and of itself, I never had a problem with computer games prompting me to (f)ight, or open the (i)nventory in an on-screen menu, or even having to click on-screen arrows to move forward and backward and such. I'd say that the complaints about those are more about what they represent symbolically (a game that is absolutely not made for "us"), and about how they resemble real life button counterparts, so they don't fit into the interface that well.

IIRC Fallout 3 had a reasonably tasteful visual implementation of those.

I haven't played FO3, but that stuff in games is pointless. It only eases the learning process until you have memorised the controls, after which it's just pointless pop ups. In a game like Deus Ex where our protagonist is a cyber soldier and has a hud of some kind displays make sense, but 'push x' or 'push f' is just annoying and as I already mentioned, fights against the very immersion they are looking for. It reminds you that you are interfacing through a controller/keyboard, when you normally don't think about that stuff, you just control.

The easy to kill enemies would go along with the massively powered up augments (the look through walls abillity here is far superior to that in Deus Ex) to make the player feel more heroic and epic I guess.

bonescraper

Darth Roxor said:
The inventory looks 'regular', sure, but that wheel menu that keeps popping up all the time? Even when you want to throw a FUCKING GRENADE? No, thanks, it sucked in Alpha Brotocol and will most likely suck here. And from that trailer, I couldn't help but feel that half the time spent in this game will be used trudging through wheel menus that have their own sub-menus to access even more sub-menus in order to do anything other than the most basic actions.
Chill, you'll propably able to bind your keys for stuff as simple as throwing a grenade or choosing a weapon. In Half Life for example, you also have a gun menu, but it's pretty intuitive nonetheless.

Well, at least i hope they won't fuck this up for us, the PC gaming Master Race...

Too much combat, but trailers are always action oriented. IIRC, in other thread someone posted a Deus Ex trailer from 1999 or something and it features a lot of combat too. Hell, even the Thief trailers were full of sword combat and fire arrows flying all around.
Thief, pfft. Check these out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXJrgAmHBHg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KhM3jVehVo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCBTRIsAhGE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMhQxW_WQwA

OMG, ONOES, these games are too easy.

zeitgeist

Magister
There's a new Q/A session at neogaf, and an interview at Eurogamer. Highlights: no ATMs because they were running out of time, it's once again confirmed that there's no lockpicks/multitools/bioelectric cells, miscellaneous items can't be picked up and used for various purposes like in Deus Ex (supposedly because of framerate issues), weapon upgrades work similar to the original (that's what the combine option in the inventory was for), and the user comments are overwhelmingly positive on most sites that carried DX:HR-related news recently.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom