Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

First Deus Ex 3 Screens

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
hiver said:
you gobble to much nigger cock. it addles the brain
the weapons' text is readable, somebody blurred the article text on the right side of the page with a clearly visible box.

I think the game looks like it will be okay. I won't compare it to Deus Ex, because I don't need to. I'll just see how it is on it's own.

Also "It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here" is a great fucking tagline. Impressive marketing department.

How did the relatively sleek cyber-augs being displayed in the preview devolve into the clunky ass equipment Gunther got saddled with years later? To the point where he referred to himself as a 'golem that scares children'?

Are we journeying into Knights of the Old Republic backwards advancement territory here?

roll-a-die

Magister
Genma:TheDestroyer said:
How did the relatively sleek cyber-augs being displayed in the preview devolve into the clunky ass equipment Gunter got saddled with years later? To the point where he referred to himself as a 'golem that scares children'?

Are we journeying into Knights of the Old Republic backwards advancement territory here?
You're forgetting Gunther is a paranoid man with self-esteem issues.

CSM

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
For being so opposed to faggotry, some guys here sure do spend a lot of time analyzing a haircut.

hiver

Gerrard said:
hiver said:
Gerrard said:
hiver said:
Gerrard said:
What kind of a faggot blurs out the text of the article?
shot with a cellphone manboon.
You are blind AND retarded.
you gobble to much nigger cock. it addles the brain.

for christ sake the guy said he shot it with his cell phone you blathering idiot.
Doesn't change the fact that the article text has been blurred in photoshop or whatever, dumbfuck. Get some new eyes.
you fucking incredible turd eating retard the guy who made those shots made new better ones and translated that article in full.
does that mean anything to that sniveling piece of shit you have in your skull ?

maybe its a conspiracy just for dog hemorrhoid level of intelligence you can dream of aspiring one day.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Reading that RPS article kinda comforts me a bit. It looks like they learned from IW's failures (not universal ammo!) but as they say we need to see more.

Edit: merging skills and augmentations isn't a bad idea at all. DX felt a bit too experimental for having both, and many augs and skills overlapped (Environmental Training could cover a few augs at the same time) but then again it was part of its charm and I fear that they might over-simplify it. Still I'm hopeful (when I forget the tentaclez0rs).

hiver said:
you fucking incredible turd eating retard the guy who made those shots made new better ones and translated that article in full.
does that mean anything to that sniveling piece of shit you have in your skull ?

maybe its a conspiracy just for dog hemorrhoid level of intelligence you can dream of aspiring one day.

goris2.gif

...Rosh?

After reading multiple articles on this, I am quite optimistic. I'll check out more when they've got E3 articles and such. It seems like it might be p. awesome and surprise people. While skyway calls it popamole and a standard console shooter.

Data4

Arcane
Destroid said:
What are you subsidizing Data4? It's just concept art.

The link calls it screenshots. The subsidizing would be paying for it. That's not to say I won't find a way to play it.

LOLEDIT: Well, fuck me, that IS concept art. Still, I'd rather fiction be fiction in my games. It's like that one time in Vegas when a Linda Rondstat concert made the news a few years ago when half the audience left because she started pontificating on her political views. When I'm paying for entertainment, I'm paying to be entertained, not to be preached at from some bully pulpit.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Data4 said:
The link calls it screenshots.
because shit gaming journalism sites don't differentiate between concept art and screenshots and post both in the same gallery. but hey, thanks for completely ignoring what i wrote and popping a cap for no reason. stressed out much?

hiver

Major_Blackhart said:
I'd honestly like to hear anyone else opine on the matter.

Not only on the state of the game itself (which we know little about) but the concept, artistic style, and even the politics that are in the game's landscape. That should be a major focus of any DX3 related topic, simply because the games are all about politics, specifically what goes on behind the scenes to get the results you see now.

Now, scientists just created this awesome new tech. Changes the lives of millions who cant walk, eat normally, etc. for the better.

So, lets talk about the possible political landscape. Is it OK to be hesitant and even afraid of technology that is obviously so new and revolutionary?

Absolutely. However, government and the populace completely ignore any positives on gimps and cripples and instead impose immediate bans, apartheid treatment, etc as if they were Irish in the 1850's America?
Kind of unbelievable really.

Let's face it. The level of PC crap getting shoved down our throat in this day and age would probably stop us at all from thinking anything negative about something that actually works (unlike minorities).

But still, I want to hear other opinions on the subject. Spill it all ladies!

I do agree with your analysis of DeusX design in this regard but i dont think it would work presented in that same way today.

DeusX mech were shown as freaks and that represents (prolly) fear of unnatural changes to the "pure" human physique thats been really done over and over ever since Frankenstein if not before.

We see that same fear today when anyone mentiones cloning or other genetic changes or therapies we could probably achieve technologically.
For christ sake even the reaserch on stem cells was completely banned in some countries.

Superstition or religion play an important role in that mess too.

We constantly see crappy movies where some genetically enhanced individual or a cloning experiment turns into a monster who wants to eat our brains out!

Crap.

As ever, technology itself is not a danger. What we do with it may be.
We can use it for positive things and really negative ones - as we humans have always done.

The problem is in us - not the technology.

In DeusX HR the design of technological upgrades - Augmentations is much more modern, sleeker, even cool.

Its not unreasonable to expect this as we can see from some examples of such prostethics that are already being made.

There is no reason to make those intentionally ugly, bulky and horrible looking thus handicaping those who would need them even more.

The design of such augmentations itself has moved forward a lot from those olden times. In entertainment media, such as science fiction movies, comics, illustrations or Anime which always aspired to higher quality concepts and sleek futuristic design.

(Yes a lot of anime is shit. Sturgeon law applies - 90% of everything is shit so that fact shouldnt be taken into account as defining. You can judge something based on those 90% or based on those rare 10% or less that is actually good)

In new deusX with its better, modernized design devs have a chance to move away from that old Frankenstanian/freak simplification that has become a cliche and is superficial.

Maybe with the new design they can turn the spotlight more onto exploring that real problem with new technology i was trying to describe at the start of this post.
To turn the spotlight at the human more, without using ugly looking Augs as a crutch that has been done to death already in hundred ways.

To show that the problem is in us more clearly or alternatively that someone can still suffer even though augs look nicer, or be a cast out without looking like a mechanized zombie.

Also, if you pay attention to the first minute of the trailer you will notice a very feminine and very augmented form swaying into the scene from invisibility.

She has no legs below the knees. And her amazingly well designed butt juxtaposed with that really stings that part of us that wants to be comfortable.

I dont think everything will be pretty in DeusX HR at all and i do hope those same themes you talked about will be explored again, even if design is not as ugly as before.

Data4

Arcane
SuicideBunny said:
Data4 said:
The link calls it screenshots.
because shit gaming journalism sites don't differentiate between concept art and screenshots and post both in the same gallery. but hey, thanks for completely ignoring what i wrote and popping a cap for no reason. stressed out much?

Actually... yeah. :lol:

I still can't stand direct political commentary in games or other entertainment content, though. If they want to portray a president as a swaggering Texan megalomaniac, I'd be like "Yeah, yeah, a riff on Bush, I get it.". I'm loathe to continue trying to make a point here, since this is heading towards GD territory, but with the terrific fuckup our current president is proving himself to be, seeing blatant Bush-bashing is cheap, old, and frankly tiresome.

But yeah, I'm kinda wound up for other reasons, so... heh.

Oh, and hey, thanks for completely ignoring my edit. Dick.

Joghurt

Augur
Deus Ex HR gameplay footage at RPS spotted, hurry up it might get taken down soon.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/06/21/deus-ex-hr-illicit-e3-wobblecam/

edit:

Part 2 of the video here:

http://www.gameru.net/?a=36254

There are things that I like and things that I hate. But I am still impressed:

Things I liked:
- Walking through the city reminded me of Hong Kong. They got the atmosphere there. It really looked like 20 years into the future not 100.
- Dude who was playing said that there are 4-5 ways to get into the warehouse.
- Cameras don't have stupid laser beams so that we can see where they are pointed at aka Deus Ex 2 and Alpha Protocol.
- We still have to put in keypad codes manually.
- Killing a dude through a wall was kinnda cool.
- Lifting heavy crate to get into the security rooms window and disable the camera.
- Heat seeking upgrade for rocket launcher was kinda good too. It's nothing we haven't seen in games, but at least we know that there will be weapon upgrades. (Maybe some of you knew it already - I missed it somehow)

Things I hated:
- Shooting parts of the game look like GoW or any other TPS
- Double takedowns, it just seems too fucking easy. You see two guys standing together, you walk up to them, press a button and they are dead. I don't have problems with single dude takedowns because you were able to take out one guy from behind in Deus Ex 1 without any problems. Two just seems too easy.
- The second video had shitloads of BLOOOOOOOM at one point

Things I still don't understand:
- The dude said that the entire game can be completed without killing anybody, but does that mean we can sneak past everybody or does that mean we can use the non lethal takedowns instead of lethal ones aka Alpha Popamole ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom