Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Question: how should Square Enix react to Baldur's Gate 3 outselling FFXVI? Which seems like an almost certain outcome? Cause we were told by Yoshi-P that turn based combat is dead. Should Square Enix add sex with animals in their next FF game?
Final Hentai XVII coming up.

scytheavatar

Scholar
Watching playthroughs of this game really makes you appreciate how much Yoshi-P owns his FFXIV success to the foundation laid by FFXIV 1.0. Cause while 1.0 was without a doubt a disaster the old team did a great job in getting the look and feel of the setting right, and ARR was built off those foundations. Even though the FFXIV expansions had very serious stories the world is colorful and full of fun anime stuff like Lalafell which helps to balance the stories. FFXVI on the other hand is just drab and boring, the world is washed and there's no joy to be found anywhere in the game. Complete failure on the part of Square Enix management that no one watched the game and asked Yoshi-P "hey, where's the fun?"

Falksi

Arcane
Watching playthroughs of this game really makes you appreciate how much Yoshi-P owns his FFXIV success to the foundation laid by FFXIV 1.0. Cause while 1.0 was without a doubt a disaster the old team did a great job in getting the look and feel of the setting right, and ARR was built off those foundations. Even though the FFXIV expansions had very serious stories the world is colorful and full of fun anime stuff like Lalafell which helps to balance the stories. FFXVI on the other hand is just drab and boring, the world is washed and there's no joy to be found anywhere in the game. Complete failure on the part of Square Enix management that no one watched the game and asked Yoshi-P "hey, where's the fun?"
I've got no issue with the "drabness" in itself, low-fantasy grit is something I enjoy, but to call it "Final Fantasy" is just bullshit. I can totally see why they've done that, FF/Square fanboys are some of the dumbest cunts out there who will pre-order a shitty stick if it's branded "Final Fantasy", but the fact that FF16's tone is so detached from that "fun" vibe which FF was built on is just off.

The sad thing is that FFXIV's setting becomes increasingly boring as the expansions go on. It used to be an FF12-esque setting set during a transition between medieval and renaissance era, with some magitek here and there. There are tensions between the countries, and within the countries there is strife. The princess does not have full dictatorial control over her kingdom and has to play ball with scummy politicians, who have their own private armies that the Princess' royal army cannot simply arrest or eliminate. There are multiple pirate crews vying for the title of Chief Admiral, and several of them disregard the Chief Admiral's orders and do their own thing and have the force to get away with it. The countries are at war with the local beastmen. While the countries were briefly united together against an invading empire, they are still competing with each other on a local level and did not cooperate at times. But that all goes away. The protagonist instigates a revolution in every country he visits, turning it from a monarchy into a democratic republic. Ishgard. Ala Mhigo. Eulmore. Bozja. Werlyt. Garlemald. All internal conflicts are squashed. Powerful politicians and factions not on the side of the player and his friends cease to exist or are swept under the rug. Worse is that every country then gets assimilated into the same hugtub where no one has any conflict with each other and everyone preaches the same 21st century values. Everyone joins the United States of Alphinaud. The current FFXIV world is incredibly bland and disinteresting. There is no conflict and the countries have been so sanded down of their edges that they are indistinct from each other.

cruel

Cipher
I'm 32h in, game shows as 60% complete. I still like it, but at the same time need to admit that the game as a whole is not as good as the beginning. The important story moments & boss fights are still 9/10, sometimes even 10/10 (epic shit, jaw on the floor, etc.), but - unfortunately - between all of those you need to experience some filler that's sometimes 6/10 at best. It looks like someone said 'hey, our game shows credits at 30h mark, but we need 40h - fill it with something to do', and it definitely shows. Still worth playing, but makes the whole experience a little bit worse.

On a side note - I died 2 times in 32 hours. Once on a main story boss (flame something), once by being careless with some of the bounties. So yeah, the game is definitely not difficult and it doesn't seem to change so far.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Last FF game I attempted to play was 15. Its party characters seemed to be just a bunch of pretty asian boys butched out with slick hair in leather or tough guy jackets swaggering around desperately trying to be a variation on James Dean coolness. It was pure cringe. Prior to that, I would only play FF games after VI to test out my various emus since they did seem to technically be more demanding than other games on their various console platforms, and I typically never left the first area(s). Have a question though: I could have sworn FFVI was turn-based (played it in the 90s on the SNES) but someone in this topic said FF hasn't been turn-based since 3? Color me confused.

I could have sworn FFVI was turn-based (played it in the 90s on the SNES) but someone in this topic said FF hasn't been turn-based since 3? Color me confused.

It's pedantry. FF4 through FF9 used the ATB (Active Time Battle) system, which added speed to the gameplay as different characters would be able to attack faster or slower than others (indicated by their charge gauge filling up at different rates). You still controlled the entire party and interacted with the game through menus, and your required actions per minute were slow enough that you could think about the battle tactically from the perspective of the whole party rather than just playing as one character playing a hack and slash by yourself. FF10 went back to turn based but kept speed as a factor in determining turn order (the Trails series of games would then take that and build off of that battle system). FF11 was an everquest clone with menu combat so slow (you might use an ability once every 30 seconds) that it was pretty much ATB but you're only playing as one character in a six man party. FF12 adopted real-time-with-pause CRPG-esque combat, but it was very fun because the bosses were HP sponges and you preprogrammed your character's actions before battle, so it was pretty much an auto-battler without much input from you, and it lacked the dramatic presentation of prior Final Fantasy battle systems. FF13 was ATB again and it is great. It also allowed you to queue several actions up so you had more time to think during combat. FF14 1.0's combat was a continuation of FF11's but had a higher APM. The NuFF14 is a retail WoW clone, which is not a menu game but instead a pseudo-action game, and you have a 100 APM rotation which isn't very fun. FF15 is a hack and slash action game where you only play as Noctis. You are occasionally reminded that there were other characters with you when the camera pans over to their special attacks every once in a while but that's it. FF7 remake is a hack and slash where time slows down while you open up a menu to cast a spell or a summon, but menus is not the primary way with which you interact with the game, you cannot control the entire party at once, and the combat lacks the dramatic posing and presentation of prior turn based and ATBs Final Fantasy games.

Last edited:

Ayreos

Augur
Is there anyone commenting in this thread that thinks FFXVI is bad and has actually played it?
If you struggle to find people who played an AAA game on the main website dedicated to that game's genre, in a 40 pages thread dedicated to that very game, whatever point you're trying to make is lost in the implications.
The game can be decent or good, but frankly no trailer, image, or gameplay segment from it excites me remotely enough to try the game, let alone buy it together with a PS5.
It has QTEs, for fuck's sake.

filler that's sometimes 6/10 at best.
The game would honestly be much better without these dogshit side quests. The companion side quests are decent to good, but the rest is literally trash tier that throws the pacing off course. Final Fantasy 7 Remake side quests are masterpieces in comparison.

Lincolnberry

Educated
filler that's sometimes 6/10 at best.
The game would honestly be much better without these dogshit side quests. The companion side quests are decent to good, but the rest is literally trash tier that throws the pacing off course. Final Fantasy 7 Remake side quests are masterpieces in comparison.

I'm probably around halfway thru but agree completely. Put the hunts in a separate arena, cut the "exploration" and side quests entirely. There's nothing worthwhile to do or find, just cut it. The game already feels very streamlined, odd that the sidequest design made it through.

I do think they're trying to control the highs of the story fights and buildups with the slow - but they do this with the main quest already. Might as well dump all the BS side quests.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Question: how should Square Enix react to Baldur's Gate 3 outselling FFXVI? Which seems like an almost certain outcome? Cause we were told by Yoshi-P that turn based combat is dead. Should Square Enix add sex with animals in their next FF game?
I think is also because BG3 is multyplatform while FFXVI for now a ps5 exclusive.

Elthosian

Arcane
I think is also because BG3 is multyplatform while FFXVI for now a ps5 exclusive.

It looks like BG3 will surpass FFXVI’s sales without even counting units sold on the PS5 (iirc neither of the DOS ports sold more than a couple hundred thousands, anyway).

If anything, I would highlight that Steam has a bigger user base right now than the PS5. That or the fact 1.5 of BG3’s 2 million sold units so far are from early access purchases. That makes for a more difficult comparison.

I just hope DQ12 buries this shit to prove you don't need to sell your soul to smoothbrains to turn a profit.
gsDuHII.png

Stokowski

Arcane
Magical Pink Sparkling Pony Princess Rainbow Quest would be "darker" than Dragon Quest 11.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom