Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
+ no SJW bullshit: men behave like men, women like women; no strong black trannies ordering you around
Men kissing each other is "men behave like men"? And 90% of the women dress almost like they are nuns. (Benedikta the exception, sort of.) Did you do any sidequests? Most sidequests revolve around men being useless and you having to fix their problems. And the woman always being the strong ones in charge of everything. Sure mate, no sjw shit.

Final Fantasy XVI is like a poor man's kickstarter version of Witcher 3. And that says a lot. Witcher 3 wasn't even really good.
Yea, they are doin the MALE kiss stuff. You know the real stuff that European males were doing 2000 years ago.

Also seen Kotaku article... That article was BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD.

Last edited:

Elthosian

Arcane
I have never before seen discussion of a mainline Final Fantasy game evaporate within a month of release. Even the hated FF15 had more longevity.

A rare and beautiful case of go popamole, go broke. There is nothing to the game aside from the plot and graphicz. Whatever discussion there is about it nowadays is by haters bringing up the fact TOTK/BG3 are getting better sales after Yoshi-P claimed they had to make a God of War game, or by fans realizing this doesn't have a chance at getting awards/trying to convince themselves it does. Had it come out the same year as Dragon Age Inquisition the reception would have been much warmer, but within the four months around it we have Sea of Stars, BG3, TOTK, Starfield, Armored Core 6, Pikmin 4, Shadow Gambit... even Diablo, lol.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
> new game from long past its prime franchise releases exclusively for a console barely anyone owns
> "Ha! There's barely any discussion going on 2 months after release. That surely means the game sucks!"

:nocountryforshitposters:

Last edited:

Elttharion

Learned
First impressions after like 10 hours of gameplay:
  • The OST is very very good;
  • Graphically the game looks great and the spectacle from the battles is insane;
  • The English VA is very good too, might be the first time I will consider it better than the Japanese voices. Its pretty clear they focused a lot of time on the casting and direction;
  • The setting and story seems a little bit generic so far, like Yoshi P watched Game of Thrones and had a revelation or something. The world itself is enough to make me entertained but I am hoping the story changes somewhat once the twists start happening. The characters are ok too but I have more lenience here because its just the beginning of the game after all;
  • Combat is a total disgrace. Too easy and spammy and I heard it doesnt get much better. The sound design of the attacks is also really weird and there is almost zero impact when the sword connects with the enemies. Compare this to Dark Souls or Monster Hunter or even Devil May Cry were you can almost feel the sword hitting something. The feedback is pretty bad here even tho its a little bit better in the special attacks;
  • World design is so far a corridor and you have like 3 ways to see were you need to go. Your 'instintics', the NPCs and the dog. Its almost insulting;
  • The way they designed the lore articles is also terrible. You have to pause a cutscene and open a menu to see if there is something new. The problem is that this breaks the flow of the cutscenes as you need to constantly check if there is new information since some of them appear during the cutscenes. A little icon saying there is a new lore blurb would be much better. I understand its hard when you are introducing dozens of characters, locations and concepts in a few hours but there had to be a better way to do worldbuilding;
  • Side quests are terrible fetch quests;
  • Monster design is pretty cool, as is tradition with Final Fantasy. The Eikons are amazing so far, even tho I have only seen a few of them;
  • I understand this isnt an open world game but so far its been: fight, cutscene, walk a little bit, cutscene, fight, etc...;
So far I somewhat like the game and will finish it but cant say I am truly impressed.

Elttharion

Learned
and the spectacle from the battles is insane;
I'll have to take your word on insane but more or less over-the-top-funny-crazy™ than let's say Bayonetta?
Not really, by insane I meant its very well done. Its the sense of scale and sheer destruction. Its more visceral and violent, so to speak. The regular battles are more mundane hack and slash but the spectacle comes from the boss fights, specially against the Eikons. The dominants who turn into them are almost god like beings and when you see Ifrit, for example, pretty much turn the whole landscape on a wasteland during a battle its pretty impressive.

This is the first battle between Eikons in the game for example. Its part of the demo and the prologue but it gives an example of what happens later. Please avoid the video if you dont want any spoilers about the game.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
The Eikon battles get even better, I was honestly shocked. But not sure if it's worth the rest of the game.

There are large-ish free roam areas with towns to explore and quests to do; it's nothing amazing but it does avoid being 'corridor world' like FF10 and 13.

The sad thing is this could have been a pretty good FF Tactics game with the whole war and factions and such. There's even this super detailed "State of the Realm" feature that shows all the army movements and power shifts over the entire game and it is 100% pointless fluff because none of it matters for the player, you just go where the quest marker is and button mash things to death.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
First impressions after like 10 hours of gameplay:
  • The OST is very very good;
  • Graphically the game looks great and the spectacle from the battles is insane;
  • The English VA is very good too, might be the first time I will consider it better than the Japanese voices. Its pretty clear they focused a lot of time on the casting and direction;
  • The setting and story seems a little bit generic so far, like Yoshi P watched Game of Thrones and had a revelation or something. The world itself is enough to make me entertained but I am hoping the story changes somewhat once the twists start happening. The characters are ok too but I have more lenience here because its just the beginning of the game after all;
  • Combat is a total disgrace. Too easy and spammy and I heard it doesnt get much better. The sound design of the attacks is also really weird and there is almost zero impact when the sword connects with the enemies. Compare this to Dark Souls or Monster Hunter or even Devil May Cry were you can almost feel the sword hitting something. The feedback is pretty bad here even tho its a little bit better in the special attacks;
  • World design is so far a corridor and you have like 3 ways to see were you need to go. Your 'instintics', the NPCs and the dog. Its almost insulting;
  • The way they designed the lore articles is also terrible. You have to pause a cutscene and open a menu to see if there is something new. The problem is that this breaks the flow of the cutscenes as you need to constantly check if there is new information since some of them appear during the cutscenes. A little icon saying there is a new lore blurb would be much better. I understand its hard when you are introducing dozens of characters, locations and concepts in a few hours but there had to be a better way to do worldbuilding;
  • Side quests are terrible fetch quests;
  • Monster design is pretty cool, as is tradition with Final Fantasy. The Eikons are amazing so far, even tho I have only seen a few of them;
  • I understand this isnt an open world game but so far its been: fight, cutscene, walk a little bit, cutscene, fight, etc...;
So far I somewhat like the game and will finish it but cant say I am truly impressed.
Largely agree. Combat is very much defined by which Eikons you use and it peaks at
wind + stone + fire
imo.

Elttharion

Learned
Played quite a bit more. Just talked with the MCs uncle. Combat, story and characters are a bit better now.

One thing that is very disapointing so far is the enemy variety.

Edit: forgot to say the plot and its twists have been incredibly predictable so far. Also Jill is very cute.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
PC version in the works.

Around 2:54 of the video. Sorry, no timestamp.

Finally, while FINAL FANTASY XVI was released as a PlayStation 5 exclusive, we are aware that many of you have been asking for a PC version. So, allow me to take this opportunity to officially announced that development on a PC version is currently underway. I hope to be able to give you more information on both the upcoming downloadable content and the PC version before the end of the year, so please stay tuned.

Falksi

Arcane

Square Enix Loses Close to $2bn in Market Value Since Final Fantasy XVI’s Release​

For a smaller title, 3-4 million units sold would be a successful market run, but for a multimillion dollar, multi year development undertaking such as Final Fantasy XVI, such numbers are not what SE would have hoped, and thus here we are.

https://neverendingrealm.com/news/s...XXw5oB9Ueuv5tp_AXI6zHZv51SvAR6DJgKdFpr1TMqMSE

Jinn

Arcane
I imagine if they hadn't chained the game to the PlayStation it would have sold much better. Hope those Sony bux were worth it for them.

Elttharion

Learned

Square Enix Loses Close to $2bn in Market Value Since Final Fantasy XVI’s Release​

For a smaller title, 3-4 million units sold would be a successful market run, but for a multimillion dollar, multi year development undertaking such as Final Fantasy XVI, such numbers are not what SE would have hoped, and thus here we are.

https://neverendingrealm.com/news/s...XXw5oB9Ueuv5tp_AXI6zHZv51SvAR6DJgKdFpr1TMqMSE
Looks like while FF16 sold well it wasnt enough to compensate for all the other flops SE had in the last two or three years. That plus their MMO and mobile revenue is down too. The investors expected FF16 to be a huge sucess so 'well enough' didnt quite cut it. I imagine SE is probably expecting to make quite a bit of money with the PC version of the game.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well the fact that chip shortages really screwed this console generation for adoption, so the PS5 install base is only a fraction of what it could have been.

Production has caught up, sure, but there are people like me who got hyped and would have bought one, but there were none and the moment passed where my rational brain remembered that I play everything on PC and my consoles just collect dust, so why bother with another paperweight?

Then there are also people who may have seen one early on that their friends would have bought leading to more demand, etc. So if the install size recovers to more or less what it could have been it'll take longer and it may have just been crippled.

So going exclusive with an expensive game in that environment is crippling... on top of Squenix dumb shit decisions like let's pump money into chasing NFTs or dumpster fire games like pretty much their entire library other than classic Final Fantasies and Dragon Quest. And their dress up MMO.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Post 1123 in this thread posts the true reason for dipping stock price. Their most profitable sections have both declined a lot. Was it 20% each? No wonder their stock fell like a rock.

kyosuke

Educated
Patron

Oh yeah. It's all due to FFXVI of course.
And not Forspoken, Avengers and plenty of other extreme money-wasting flops.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom