Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tehdagah

Arcane
Skill Up's review is pretty savage. Makes the game sound pretty bad tbh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzfUardkloY for anyone that hasn't watched it yet

I wouldn't trust his opinion too much in this particular game. He already stated that he thinks games like DMC and Bayonetta are just "button smashers", and of course this game's combat system is in the same genre as those two, if somewhat simpler. He critizes the game for having too much cutscenes but loves GoW: Ragnarok despite Ragnarok being very guilty of "walk while a NPC spouts exposition", which I would consider worse because you cannot even skip it on replays. He goes on and on on how the RPG elements are poor, but if you followed the game development it was clear that the game was very much Action, very little RPG. He also has many of the same complaints towards FF7R but loves that game and somehow hates XVI, not to mention that he says some thing that are factually wrong, like the lack of endgame after beating the game, failing to mention NG+/FF mode or Ultramaniac mode or the Global Rankings.

Link here for comparision for FF7R and FF XVI review, sorry for posting reddit

5j0mqqaclyx11.jpg

To me he seems like FF XVI just wasn't the kind of game he was qualified to review.
I don´t even like Bayonetta. Saying that it and DMC are button mashers is absolutely retarded and ignorant. His review should be ignored.
I played DMC5 recently and it's pretty much a button mash. One of the easiest DMC games.

It’s weird Dragon Quest games aren’t darker anyways. Not that I’d call Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z dark, but you’d almost expect the Dragon Quest series to at least be as violent as Akira Toriyama’s Dragon Ball could get.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Because it is based on the OG Dragon Ball early - mid episodes instead of Z and GT and Super retardation

Because it is based on the OG Dragon Ball early - mid episodes instead of Z and GT and Super retardation

There’s blood, tits, and swearing in the original early Dragon Ball manga. If Dragon Quest was like Dragon Ball, killing monsters would have some little animation where their heads came off or something (with that kind of cartoony ham with the bone still in it look) and blood would shoot out.

Elthosian

Arcane
Review in Spanish from a :obviously: pal in another community, Google Translate should do a fine job for the rest of it but if you find it doesn't let me know and I can edit its output.

https://reflot.es/d/8299-analisis-final-fantasy-xvi

[...]

Therefore, if there is no difficulty, delving into the different tools you have is unnecessary. All Eikon abilities can be upgraded with ability points in various stages, but this just means they're more powerful, and that you can equip them on other Eikons (for example, running Garuda's grapple ability alongside an Ifrit attack and a Ramuh attack), improving your mechanical diversity. But what does it matter, if the game does not encourage experimentation at all? Each summon has an associated element, but there is no vulnerability or element resistance implemented into the playable design. You can kill a Bom with fire spells without problem, and all enemies are equally vulnerable to the physical or magical attacks you launch, so it doesn't matter if you use Fire or Ice with triangle, for practical purposes it only changes the animation and nothing else. There is even a skill capable of killing all enemies on the screen with one hit once charged. Considering you'll constantly be encountering the same types of opponents with changing color palettes, knowing you're fighting different-looking punching bags doesn't give you much of an incentive to blow anything up.

[...]

Are you going to like Final Fantasy XVI? If you like good fantastic medieval stories, without a doubt. If you like to fully exploit the lore of the world of your games, too. If you love Final Fantasy XIV, well, this game draws a lot from it. But you won't like it if you are looking for an RPG, if you are looking for complexity, challenge, dungeons, explicit rewards for your exploration or effort. You might find a bit of it in Final Fantasy mode, unlocked by beating it once (sort of NG+). But demanding 70 hours (50 of which are very simplistic) to reach it is a price that not everyone will be willing to pay. And if they could make it more accessible, they could also make it more complex, although simply making enemies deal more damage wouldn't fix everything.

To everyone who is a regular player of the genre and the series, I would say this: this is not for you. You are going to find glimpses, pieces, that are going to appeal to you. You have bosses, hunts, ordeals and moments of challenge that will get you out of boredom and make you think "how fun is this". If you like good stories, here's an excellent one. But don't expect an RPG, don't expect dungeons, puzzles, don't expect too much thinking. Well, the new video game industry only wants you to consume, and it has relegated your role to a small redoubt of games that still continue to offer a challenge, even if it is far from the sources of commercial success that company shareholders seek. The essence of the Final Fantasy you grew up with is no longer in Final Fantasy. But it's still alive. Look for it in Sea of Stars or Eiyuden Chronicles, look for it in Chained Echoes, look for it in Fantasian, look for it in Persona 5 Royal. Paradoxically, you can even look for it in the Final Fantasy spin-offs like Stranger of Paradise. But don't look for it here, in the main saga. Not anymore. The essence of Final Fantasy is now something else, and it is no longer for you.

:popamole::popamole::popamole::popamole::popamole::popamole::popamole::popamole::popamole:

This thing deserves the decline tag and you all know it.

lycanwarrior

Scholar

Final Fantasy XIV Coming to Xbox with Crossplay, Square Enix Commits to Xbox Going Forward​

https://wccftech.com/final-fantasy-xiv-xbox-announced-crossplay-square-enix-on-xbox-going-forward/

Since launching a decade ago, Final Fantasy XIV has been a PlayStation console exclusive, an arrangement many never expected to change. Well, surprise! Today during the big Final Fantasy XIV Fan Festival, Phil Spencer strode out onto the stage with FF14 producer Naoki Yoshida to announce the game is coming to Xbox early next year. Here’s what Phil had to say…

Late Bloomer

Scholar

Final Fantasy XIV Coming to Xbox with Crossplay, Square Enix Commits to Xbox Going Forward​

https://wccftech.com/final-fantasy-xiv-xbox-announced-crossplay-square-enix-on-xbox-going-forward/

Since launching a decade ago, Final Fantasy XIV has been a PlayStation console exclusive, an arrangement many never expected to change. Well, surprise! Today during the big Final Fantasy XIV Fan Festival, Phil Spencer strode out onto the stage with FF14 producer Naoki Yoshida to announce the game is coming to Xbox early next year. Here’s what Phil had to say…

You may want to put this in the MMORPG thread instead. Or not. It's awesome news for Xbox users though. Even though I find the game shallow and pedantic. It's worth a try.

Elthosian

Arcane
Wait, they released FF 19 already?!!?!

Edit: jokes aside, might be kinda relevant for future FF games and maybe Xbox users might get this one sooner than later.

lycanwarrior

Scholar

You may want to put this in the MMORPG thread instead. Or not. It's awesome news for Xbox users though. Even though I find the game shallow and pedantic. It's worth a try.
My bad for some reason I thought it was FF16 lol.

cruel

Cipher
Finished the game yesterday - 64h, including all the side-quests, hunts and 64% of achievements. Main story should be closer to 40h. Good game, worth playing, but it doesn't live up to the hype created by the beginning.

Good things:
+ amazing combat: fast, fluid, skill-based, with proper feel, dodging, parrying, no janky hitboxes. Zero complaints here, one of the top combat systems in Action RPG.
+ boss fights: one of the top-tier experiences I had in last 10 years of gaming. Epic, memorable, with amazing music, sometimes you just feel 'WTF is happening right now', in a good way. Worth experiencing the game for this aspect alone.
+ very good writing
+ authentic, believable characters
+ no SJW bullshit: men behave like men, women like women; no strong black trannies ordering you around
+ excellent soundtrack
+ dark, mature tone; people will die, villages will burn, there are no 9 year old girls in pink dresses screaming and saving the world etc.
+ great job on Eikon abilities: all of them are unique from each other and change how the game is played, clearly tons of work was done on this part. Think here close to Dragon's Dogma magic - you actually get something similar to Maelstorm or Bolide. Some of them destroy the balance of the game, and game allows it - it's not 'overly balanced'
+ clearly a lot of love and attention was put into this game, you can just feel it; it's the opposite if 'consume product' mentality felt in Ubisoft games

Bad things:
- difficulty, or lack thereof; I died 6 or 7 times in the whole game, 2 times of which were by being careless. Regular encounters are a joke, some of the hunts or main story bosses require some effort, but I would never call it 'hard' at any point. If someone wants a challenge as the main point of the game, it's hard to recommend - I expect they will allow more difficulty modes from the get-go when PC version is released
- side quests: too many of them, some of them suck. They never reach Ubisoft level of 'collect 20 herbs' or anything like that, but the game could clearly get away with less of those
- definitely more Action RPG than RPG: almost no character build options outside of Eikon abilities / accessories
- exploration: it's definitely there, but the rewards are very underwhelming

Overall, I'm very happy with the time I've spent - had more fun with this than new God of War or Wo Long, comparable enjoyment to Jedi Survivor. Definitely worth playing - 8/10.

Last edited:

Lincolnberry

Educated
I rolled credits first time through last night. I completed every side quest I could find and every hunt, around 60 hours all-in.

Overall rating / conclusion: 6/10. Some real highs (presentation) and some real lows (general design structure, dearth of RPG elements). I think it's worth your time if you're a fan of the series but know you need to be patient with it. Not one my favorite FFs, and I ultimately hope they don't bend their broader FF center towards the design philosophy of this game in the future.

Pros:

(+) Presentation. Very pretty game, the flashiness is very much there. Really shines in the boss battles, cutscenes are here and they're good.

(+) Combat animations & feel. Great gamefeel. Very smooth in combat. You getting pretty much perma hyperarmor or close makes it easy. It wore out it's welcome but unquestionably a positive in my book. Would have stood out more in a shorter game.

Neutral:

(=) Music. A few of the battle themes are good but pretty much all the base stuff and really most of the music in this game I thought was below average for FF and far below what I expect in a game. I'd read from the FF14 enthusiasts that Soken is awesome - I definitely wasn't convinced here and made me miss Uematsu.

(=) Combat structure. It's very fun initially but it's not very deep and that wears as the game goes on. This is especially rough toward the beginning when you don't have access to most possible abilities. You'll eventually settle in to the exact same combos for every enemy out of sheer efficiency. The fact that there aren't that many enemies and most reskin multiple times and it just doesn't ask very much of the player. Lack of elemental effects at all (ex color swap) is a representative example.

(=) Difficulty. It's been said many places but this game is pretty easy. I'm not particularly good at action games or games in general - this one didn't really challenge me, and I did all of the hunts.

Negative:

(-) Design philosophy. I simply dislike the approach the directors & producers took for this game: build short, high octane highs (bosses/Eikons) and then try to manage the player back down to almost nothing with far too much boredom to create a cycle effect on the player. And I do mean boredom - there is almost nothing to fight (bar the Hunts, which are meh), there is absolutely nothing to explore to find, and the sidequests are almost unbelievably dull. If this were Yoko Taro I'd feel like I was being intentionally trolled.

(-) Story & characters. Wanna-be game of thrones in more ways than one, and more knock off than anything fresh. The map, the story structure, the way it sort of ends. Game of Thrones was fun the first time through (before the writers passed GRRM's books) but this one simply doesn't cut it. Lots of things don't make sense, literally none of the characters are remotely interesting or have anything interesting to say. Big miss for me.

(-) Lack of RPG / building elements. Part of what makes the sidequests so frustrating, as there's nothing to build toward. Unlock new Eikons/abilities as story progresses - and that's it. All the stuff they pinata at you is worse than worthless. Yuck.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
+ no SJW bullshit: men behave like men, women like women; no strong black trannies ordering you around
Men kissing each other is "men behave like men"? And 90% of the women dress almost like they are nuns. (Benedikta the exception, sort of.) Did you do any sidequests? Most sidequests revolve around men being useless and you having to fix their problems. And the woman always being the strong ones in charge of everything. Sure mate, no sjw shit.

Final Fantasy XVI is like a poor man's kickstarter version of Witcher 3. And that says a lot. Witcher 3 wasn't even really good.

cruel

Cipher
This is like one, 10s scene in a 60h+ game. I will take it any day, if it means I don't need to deal with SJW stuff every other hour of playing.

Usually I'm pretty easily irritated by woke stuff thrown into the game, but this wasn't the case here at all. I remember only one side quest with an useless man (the duke in Northreach), it didn't feel forced at all. The only other example I can think of is maybe Goetz, but it was definitely part of his character.

Elttharion

Learned
Just started this, tried to play with Jap audio but the lip syncing was atrocious. I had to change it to English.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom