Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Final Fantasy VIII Available on Steam

Explorerbc

Arcane
Given that my choices on the pc are limited, does it make any sense to start with VII or VIII story-wise ? Do you miss anything important regarding the plot and lore of the series if you haven't played the other titles ?

Athelas

Arcane
Storywise, they're all completely separate from each other, sharing only certain elements (effeminate male protagonists, identical spell names, etc.)

zwanzig_zwoelf

Given that my choices on the pc are limited, does it make any sense to start with VII or VIII story-wise ? Do you miss anything important regarding the plot and lore of the series if you haven't played the other titles ?
Just buy Anachronox and ignore Final Fantasy.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Each full numbered entry is a completely new story and universe.

VII is a much better game than VIII though, so you should start with it anyways.

But really you should get an emulator and start with the SNES games.

Tigranes

Arcane
Play FF6, 7, 9. You can give the rest a miss. Go for FF5 if you really need more.

Or rather: FF5 has best gameplay, FF6 is the best complete package, FF9 does everything decently and is charming, FF7 is OMG EPIC but is still a very good game in the end. Start with 6 might be a good thing.

I haven't played PC versions but PS emulation is fine. Actually better since you can use save state and frame skip.

tsabu

Novice
I would also give FF4 a go, personally I've enjoyed it more than 5, and 8 (the first FF I've didn't even finished).

If you want understand the series more there's no problem with trying the older titles. Nesticle emulator works really nice for FF1 because you can increase the game speed. Its really useful - with normal 100% speed battles in FF1 taking slightly to long. Its still really good game though.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
You can dispense with 1 and 2, 1 being an ok but barebones dungeon crawler and 2 having a broken leveling system. 3 is where it starts to be good with better dungeons and a nice class change system. There is also a story somewhere but it is ancillary.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't understand why anyone would pay for an inferior version of a final fantasy game on steam when we have a playstation emulator with minimal hardware requirements that can run just about every ps1 game ever made.

Also, FF8 sucks and should be avoided by people valuing their time and sanity.

Random

Arcane
Patron
I don't understand why anyone would pay for an inferior version of a final fantasy game on steam when we have a playstation emulator with minimal hardware requirements that can run just about every ps1 game ever made.

Also, FF8 sucks and should be avoided by people valuing their time and sanity.

You go gurl.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Save some money and time, bros.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/this-ff8-lp-is-totally-dead.42715/

Much more entertaining than the game, and also free.

Fixed. Why you forget horse?

Speaking of that, it is about time for Andyman Messiah to conclude this epic of inanity. He already thinks he is a horse, so it is not like finishing a Let's Play of this game will do any further harm to his mental health.
Cassidy, I spent two years of my internet life making a shitty FF7 LP. I have earned the right to not let's play FF8.

Then again, I am pretty much insane...

bauerarmed.jpg
Oh for fuck's sake, Andy.
Colin-Farrell-004.jpg
Give it a rest, bro.

Last edited:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
i'm not going to play this ag... oh steam. Nvm

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
you seem annoyed at Squall rejection of Quistis. i always thought it displayed fine ethics sense there, since she was his grader, tact needs work though.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
This game had possibly the most retarded plot twist I've ever witnessed in a video game. I remember how insulting it felt even as a stoned out teenager. Horrible game overall, but the card mini-game was fun if played sporadically and some of the locations were pretty cool. Deling City could've been great if it was actually fleshed out.
I prefer the Might and Magic card game Arcomage :obviously:

TigerKnee

Arcane
you seem annoyed at Squall rejection of Quistis. i always thought it displayed fine ethics sense there, since she was his grader, tact needs work though.
At that point of time I believe Quistis got demoted... for some reason.

Ninjerk

Arcane
At that point of time I believe Quistis got demoted... for some reason.
I think she stepped down because she had a crush on him.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom