Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
You will be able to resurrect Aeris in the third game by following those simple steps :

scytheavatar

Scholar
Nomura is going to Nomura I guess.
Story and Scenario Writer: Kazushige Nojima aka the same guy who wrote the original FFVII with Kitase.

I get the Nomura hate, but people really gotta get their facts straight before blaming a single guy. I haven't watched the spoilers, but I really don't give a shit how much it deviates from the original. FFVII Remake series is a sequel series, not a remake. It's pretty clear at this point. And that's fine. If I want to play the original, I'll play the original. If I want to play an Action RPG sequel series, I'll play this.

Maybe things will be different in the last game, but so far the FF7 remakes have the exact same plot as the original FF7, just butchered and bloated. I am not sure how they are a sequel to the original FF7 in anyway, all Square is doing is pretending they are different and creative when in reality they are creatively bankrupt.
What? No, the plot of FF7R was very explicitly about time travel shennanigans and undoing the plot of the first game. It was not in any way "the exact same plot," Sephiroth wasn't even a real character in the original game - as he died before any of the events took place - whereas he appears to be the driving force behind the events in the remakes.

Yet what in the first game has been "undone"? Sephiroth wasn't a real character in the original game and still isn't one in the remake.

notpl

Arbiter
Nomura is going to Nomura I guess.
Story and Scenario Writer: Kazushige Nojima aka the same guy who wrote the original FFVII with Kitase.

I get the Nomura hate, but people really gotta get their facts straight before blaming a single guy. I haven't watched the spoilers, but I really don't give a shit how much it deviates from the original. FFVII Remake series is a sequel series, not a remake. It's pretty clear at this point. And that's fine. If I want to play the original, I'll play the original. If I want to play an Action RPG sequel series, I'll play this.

Maybe things will be different in the last game, but so far the FF7 remakes have the exact same plot as the original FF7, just butchered and bloated. I am not sure how they are a sequel to the original FF7 in anyway, all Square is doing is pretending they are different and creative when in reality they are creatively bankrupt.
What? No, the plot of FF7R was very explicitly about time travel shennanigans and undoing the plot of the first game. It was not in any way "the exact same plot," Sephiroth wasn't even a real character in the original game - as he died before any of the events took place - whereas he appears to be the driving force behind the events in the remakes.

Yet what in the first game has been "undone"? Sephiroth wasn't a real character in the original game and still isn't one in the remake.
Bro Zach is fucking alive

Yuber

Novice
Kalm does not look like Kalm. Why are there so many people dancing there. Meh.

Falksi

Arcane
So has anyone played his yet, and if so what's the crack with it? Any good, or more cash-cow milking trash?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So has anyone played his yet, and if so what's the crack with it? Any good, or more cash-cow milking trash?
I only played the demo, and enjoyed the combat. Music was solid, and graphics was a mixed back. Some things look great, but some things look like they were taken straight out of a PS3 game. The story has potential to be a cluster fuck. I'll play at some point, but not at all in a hurry.

Goratg

Novice
Combat definitely feels more engaging this time. Much like how Infinite Wealth's combat was refined over Y7 - same system, but with some new options and more interesting encounters.

I'm at Mythril Mines and game is very good so far, and not too much cringy Kingdom Hearts stuff yet.

Häyhä

Arbiter

Looks pretty good on the graphics front, solid music too, not sure about the re-writing of the plot though, but I'm sure Square-Enix pulls through it in the end. These modern remakes sure are something else!

MasPingon

Arcane
I've been playing the demo, now waiting for a steelbox with a game. It's georgious looking game, with great combat, hot babes, funny minigames and exploration. One little piano minigame in this game shits on any modern western crpg creative thought.

Yuber

Novice
Don't like the Ubisoft Open World.
Think the game would be better without Open World. <.<

911 Jumper

Educated
So hearing that in a number of areas this game is a step back in the graphics dept (when compared to FF7 Remake), which has sparked complaints.
Reckon the whole trilogy will eventually get an “ultimate” re-release on PS6.

Edit: update from SE

911 Jumper

Educated
Interesting

Hopefully Square drops the PS5 exclusivity after this.

It looks as if they'll have to for future FF projects. There's also a rumour currently flying around about FF16 getting an Xbox port.
I just don't see how Square Enix can get away with limiting a large-scale FF game to PS and PC, especially when PS5 hardware sales appear to be slowing (I think it's around ~55m).

scytheavatar

Scholar
Interesting

It looks as if they'll have to for future FF projects. There's also a rumour currently flying around about FF16 getting an Xbox port.
I just don't see how Square Enix can get away with limiting a large-scale FF game to PS and PC, especially when PS5 hardware sales appear to be slowing (I think it's around ~55m).

Releasing the games on PC and XBox will increase sales by 1-2M, it's not going to turn a game that sold 3M in the PS5 into one that sells 10M or something. If I am Square Enix CEO I wouldn't want Sony to drop the exclusivity cause these deals are so awful and pointless for Sony that people in Sony should be fired for nepotism. It feels a lot like Sony is giving free money to Square for little in return.

911 Jumper

Educated
Interesting

Releasing the games on PC and XBox will increase sales by 1-2M, it's not going to turn a game that sold 3M in the PS5 into one that sells 10M or something. If I am Square Enix CEO I wouldn't want Sony to drop the exclusivity cause these deals are so awful and pointless for Sony that people in Sony should be fired for nepotism. It feels a lot like Sony is giving free money to Square for little in return.

FF producer Yoshinori Kitase regards console exclusivity something that's key to Rebirth's success. This Washington Post piece came out today (for anyone interested)

Console exclusivity key to ‘Final Fantasy VII Rebirth’ success, team says

Sounds as if the FF7 remake trilogy will stay on PS consoles.

Elttharion

Learned
[Physical] sales figure for Rebirth's opening week in Japan are in:

Pretty terrible results, Japan has largely abandoned Playstation in the last few years. IIRC most Sony franchises are doing much worse now than during the PS4 gen.

911 Jumper

Educated
[Physical] sales figure for Rebirth's opening week in Japan are in:

Pretty terrible results, Japan has largely abandoned Playstation in the last few years. IIRC most Sony franchises are doing much worse now than during the PS4 gen.

Yep, Japan is Nintendo/Switch land now. That said, pretty surprised that the figure is lower than FF16. In Japan FF7, from what I remember, is up there with FFX in terms of popularity. It does look as if general interest in FF is fading over there, seems even nostalgia isn't enough to move the needle.

Comparison of opening week retail sales :

[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII - 1.501.964 (Media Create)
[PS4] Final Fantasy XV - 716.649 (Famitsu)
[PS4] Final Fantasy VII Remake - 702.853 (Famitsu)
[PS5] Final Fantasy XVI – 336.027 (Famitsu)
[PS5] Final Fantasy VII Rebirth - 262.656 (Famitsu)

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
The previous game has a 50% completion rate on PlayStation. I imagine quite a number of previous buyers could be skipping the second instalment in what is very explicitly a trilogy, if they didn't finish the first.

MasPingon

Arcane
20 hours in, just finished Junon. Can't stop smiling, Junon location was absolutely incredible, warm and crazy. I like Yakuza style attempt at humor. You can tell it's a work of love, it's in every corner of this game. For now I'm absolutely stunned how huge and beautiful it is, not only as a game but a piece of entertaiment.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom