Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth

Mauman

Learned
I wonder how they'll fuck it up this time. The plot of FF7 already was a giant mess without having to throw in
alternate realities and time travel shenanigans

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Eh honestly let them went full insane with the plot as this is alt universe. I can always play the original if I want the OG story. Let me have playable Jessie + saving Aerith ty.

Interesting tidbit from the trailer is such heavy focus on... Yuffie? Seems they want to make a her a secondary protagonist or something?

Duraframe300

Arcane
Eh honestly let them went full insane with the plot as this is alt universe. I can always play the original if I want the OG story. Let me have playable Jessie + saving Aerith ty.

Interesting tidbit from the trailer is such heavy focus on... Yuffie? Seems they want to make a her a secondary protagonist or something?
Agreed. Just like most of the compilation shit it's easily ignored and doesn't have to be taken as canon. Might as well go batshit.
Yuffie's the protagonist of the Remake Integrade DLC *Mission* as well. So, probably.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
making fun of your audience doesn't work when you make it a multi-part series, the shock factor only works once

But they never intend to shock more than once.

The shock is the stinger that FF7 Remake is not a remake but an alt-universe.

The hooks for the sequel is what to do with the fact that its alt universe. E.g. for people like me who like the Avalanche Trio from Midgar (its 80% Jessie), it gives the short scene implying they are alive. Saving Aerith has been urban legend in the 2000s, etc.

Square has been shit with FF7 expanded stories but hell, go wild. Just have fun and give the VII series a happy send off.

Interested to see how they handle combat this go around. The first part definitely felt like a game that badly wanted to play like Dragon's Dogma, but fell short when it came to the execution. But in the time since its release, they did pick up one of the combat designs on Dragon's Dogma and Devil May Cry. I know that guy is working on FF16, but it'd be interesting to see if it had any impact on this too.

I'd definitely love for the action combat of these FF7 game to feel like Dragon's Dogma, but also keep its own identity with stuff like character swapping in combat, and it's whole system with how you use items and abilities.

I guess at the very least the Yuffie Intergrade stuff will become the norm. Although not having a PS5 I haven't played any of that, so have no idea how it actually feels; it did however look more interesting than the combat of the main game.

I wonder how they'll fuck it up this time. The plot of FF7 already was a giant mess without having to throw in

They really want to fuck with people they should tie the Final Fantasy Tactics stuff with Cloud being summed to Ivalice into these remakes. Think that's meant to happen when he falls into the Lifestream.

lightbane

Arcane

They really want to fuck with people they should tie the Final Fantasy Tactics stuff with Cloud being summed to Ivalice into these remakes. Think that's meant to happen when he falls into the Lifestream.
Too bad no-one remembers FFTactics. I'm not sure if Squeenix has the competence to make a good Tactics game (meaning, not too many cringe cutscenes and good turn-based gameplay) anymore. Or a Vagrant Story sequel.

Duraframe300

Arcane

Too bad no-one remembers FFTactics. I'm not sure if Squeenix has the competence to make a good Tactics game (meaning, not too many cringe cutscenes and good turn-based gameplay) anymore. Or a Vagrant Story sequel.
There was a FFTactics remaster/remake in the Nvidia leak IIRC, so might pop up down the line.

Modron

Arcane
I am getting the feeling that the FFTactics remaster is just an AI upscaled version of the psp release.

lightbane

Arcane
I am getting the feeling that the FFTactics remaster is just an AI upscaled version of the psp release.
If the remaster is the same game with prettier graphics and no more changes, that would be fine. Much easier to do than a new game set in FFT's Ivalice, which is what I was saying.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Im actually more disappointed there's no "save Aerith" microtransaction. Yes, square are scumbags but not peak scumbags.
*This likely has to do with me not caring about Square Enix now that they don't own Deus Ex anymore lol. I've stopped caring.

Duraframe300

Arcane
More timeline fuckery.

Combat looks a bit improved but still like a bad copy of elements of other SQE games that did it better.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
yeah but I don't remember any scene where he became a wandering cultist or one those retards from advent of children or whatever that was at the end of the trailer...

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
Wtf is Nomura doing?
trying to get fired

he keeps doing insane shit but it never works

he wanted to turn ffxv into a musical because he saw les miserable. somebody else else had to finish the game for him

so what i'm saying is that nomura has dirt on not just square's owner and ceos, but also the bank of japan salaryman who gives out loans to game companies

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom