Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
PC port will most likely come after FF16.

cruel

Cipher
I'm around 12h in. The game is pretty cool, they didn't mess up anything and there are some clear improvements over Remake - I wasn't expecting semi-open world, exploration is improved, combat is much more complex, clearly a lot of heart was put into this overall. Speaking of combat though, I have mixed feelings - I'm wondering if they made it over-complicated actually. You have your usual stuff (HP, MP, ATB gauge, Limit break, Summons, Items), but now also Synergy Skills and Synergy Abilities - and it seems some of the boss fights are designed in a way, that if you don't use them, you are done. Boss fights are a clusterfuck at times, and can kick your ass if you're not paying attention easily - and this on Normal. Can't imagine playing this on hard to be honest - if someone wants a challenge, they will be definitely happy with hard.

Note: it's also possible that I suck at the game & combat system of course.

MasPingon

Arcane
So, the plot is officially ruined with multiverse nonsense. Shame. The first had really fun combat.

Seeing this as the most skippable between Unicorn Overlord and DD2.
I just finished it, will give my thoughts later. It was real roller coaster, it gave me all kinds of different impressions. I though this game is fucking brilliant as many times as - this is completely retarded. I also don't like multiverse trope in any kind of medium, but it definitely doesn't ruin anything here. There is one thing about FF7 Rebirth that you don't see quite often in other games - from time to time it is annoying. Not bad, annoying. Like they intentionally wanted to troll you, make you mad with too long cutscene, weird mechanic or 3 bosses in a row fight. This can easly impact your judgement if you won't cool off. I was so angry during final boss fight I wanted to log in here and write about how piece of shit it is. And then just after I started new game, on hard difficulty. That's how satisfying this game is. Costa Del Sol is definietly one of my best gaming experiences, Gold Sourcer episode got strong Tim Schafner vibes, it's god damn hilarious. I think I like what they did with Cloud, he is so messed up, even more then in original. Sometimes he is totally fucked up, unlikeable looney tune.

Last edited:

Cheesedragon117

Educated
So, the plot is officially ruined with multiverse nonsense. Shame. The first had really fun combat.

Seeing this as the most skippable between Unicorn Overlord and DD2.
You can probably lay that one directly at Nomura's feet. I knew something smelled fishy (and pretentious) the moment those stupid time-ghosts started appearing.

I hope to God he's so busy with these remakes, that he hasn't had time to turn KH4's main story into a clusterfuck. Well, more of a clusterfuck.

Nomura's an amazing artist, but God damn he's an absolute hack when it comes to everything else. I wish he'd just made Versus XIII, WEWY2, and generally just stayed in his little corner of Square Enix.

Aarwolf

Learned
Is there an american soul that would be willing to buy something like this and share a code for a special materia item with poor potato like me?

I would be grateful!

w5VF3fe.jpeg

Ash

Arcane
Comparison of opening week retail sales :

[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII - 1.501.964 (Media Create)
[PS4] Final Fantasy XV - 716.649 (Famitsu)
[PS4] Final Fantasy VII Remake - 702.853 (Famitsu)
[PS5] Final Fantasy XVI – 336.027 (Famitsu)
[PS5] Final Fantasy VII Rebirth - 262.656 (Famitsu)

Music to my ears. A feast to my eyes. The soothing of my soul; the masses do stop slurping soulless degenerate corporate sellout shit, eventually.

catfood

AGAIN

Music to my ears. A feast to my eyes. The soothing of my soul; the masses do stop slurping soulless degenerate corporate sellout shit, eventually.
The masses have moved on to gacha.

Modron

Arcane
I mean everyone knew it was going to sell less than the previous installment, making direct sequels when only a ~1/3rd of gamers finish games is a risky endeavor. Plus not everyone who bought the first part is going to want to/actually buy the next game. I wonder if the drop off will be as severe from the second to third game.

Deflowerer

Arcane

The masses have moved on to gacha.

All console game sales are down in Japan, has nothing to do with FF specifically. People always bring up these Japanese weekly sales declines in order to prove a point about overall global sales of a game franchise, but it's absolutely worthless without more context and comparison.
Another problem iirc is that these ones still track only physical retail, not digital, so again, worthless data without more evidence.

Yosharian

Arcane
Yeah I'm not convinced that we can draw meaningful conclusions from this

There's also the context that people might have seen how Intergrade improved FF7R so people are waiting for the 'better' version of the newer game

There's also the fact that it released in a pretty heavy month what with DD2 (despite the issues that game is having, I suspect it sold well)

Elttharion

Learned
There was a digital only version of the game that came bundled with Intergrade and it was the same price as buying just Rebirth. Everyone I know bought that version, even people who already had the first game.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I have been replaying the orignal game.

I really wonder how they will handle the third part. The narration takes a nosedive after the Reunion. It's mostly backtracking and a succession of disjointed random events like the weapon attacks. Then again, weak points is where remakes can improve upon.
They have basically most of the assets already from FF7 Rebirth, and maybe they can put in Midgar again too. Dev should be faster.

cruel

Cipher
I'm 44h in / 58% done with Rebirth, and need to admit that at times I'm forcing myself to continue. Main story is OK, combat is OK, characters are fun, so is the chemistry between them, clearly tons of heart put into this, but then... the freaking open world. Why? Why did they do that? What's the point? All the activities you saw in the first region will be repeated in other regions. Pointless, boring, Ubi-style busywork. Plus all those freaking mini games, out of which one (out of many) is fun (Run Wild, sort-of Rocket League with Red XIII). Such a mixed bag.

They could have easily cut the dev time by a significant margin (30% or more) if they skipped open world, kept it as corridor design and remove 3/4 of the mini games. But, whatever. I think I understand now all those articles about how this game was stuck in dev hell.

Yosharian

Arcane
I'm 44h in / 58% done with Rebirth, and need to admit that at times I'm forcing myself to continue. Main story is OK, combat is OK, characters are fun, so is the chemistry between them, clearly tons of heart put into this, but then... the freaking open world. Why? Why did they do that? What's the point? All the activities you saw in the first region will be repeated in other regions. Pointless, boring, Ubi-style busywork. Plus all those freaking mini games, out of which one (out of many) is fun (Run Wild, sort-of Rocket League with Red XIII). Such a mixed bag.

They could have easily cut the dev time by a significant margin (30% or more) if they skipped open world, kept it as corridor design and remove 3/4 of the mini games. But, whatever. I think I understand now all those articles about how this game was stuck in dev hell.
It's Square Enix

911 Jumper

Educated
Still no official announcement regarding sales, but there's this

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth is ‘underperforming’ sales wise, analyst claims
Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth is reportedly underperforming commercially.

That’s according to Daniel Ahmad, director of research and insights at Niko Partners, who said the PS5 game has been faring worse than its predecessor following its release in February.

“Rebirth is underperforming sales wise”, he said on X.

“It’s selling about half of what Remake sold in the same timeframe and looks like it’ll have a weaker tail (prior to any PS+ like release),” Ahmad added.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake was released for PS4 in April 2020, when the console had an installed base of over 100 million units.

Shipments of the game topped 3.5 million in its first three days, according to publisher Square Enix, which hasn’t announced Rebirth sales data.
Source: VGC

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom