Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth

Mauman

Learned
So what's the consensus here in regard to the FF7 remake project? Is it considered an example of incline or decline?
The primary problem is that it's not really FF7 anymore.

It's some sort of weird time fuckery/multiverse sequel.

If you're interested in this series so that you can see ff7 with extra stuff and prettier graphics while still having the same plot and characters, you might be disappointed.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
So what's the consensus here in regard to the FF7 remake project? Is it considered an example of incline or decline?

If you're interested in this series so that you can see ff7 with extra stuff and prettier graphics while still having the same plot and characters, you might be disappointed.

Honestly it's for the better. Rather than just remaking, making the new games being sort of fan fiction multiverse thing is just more entertaining as somone who already played the original like 3timess since i was a kid

Yuber

Novice

Honestly it's for the better. Rather than just remaking, making the new games being sort of fan fiction multiverse thing is just more entertaining as somone who already played the original like 3timess since i was a kid

I wanted a 1:1 Remake. Not this Nomura Fanfiction. Thanks!

Tehdagah

Arcane
I see Tifa with big BOOBA bikini.
Awaiting PC port!
tifa-and-aerith-bikini.jpg

REhorror

Educated

I actually agree as well, if they want a propa remake, just make 3D-HD version.
If it looks different, it should be a pseudo-Rebuild of Evangelion sequel.

Tehdagah

Arcane
A clip of the remade Costa Del Sol section of Final Fantasy 7 has gone viral, with Tifa trending alongside Aerith. The clip shows the party at the beach, with Cloud seemingly taken aback by Tifa and Aerith's swimsuits.

The internet has already grown obsessed over it: Just to give you an idea, the original Famitsu publication collected 9.2 million views in just 24 hours, while Genki's tweet, which shares the same video, reached 1.8 million views, amassing 10.8 million views.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
This franchise is beyond cringe. I actually scoffed and rolled my eyes when I seen some disgusting FF creatures in my prestigious MHW.

911 Jumper

Educated
Wasn't going to buy it anyway, but it's just another reason why I prefer the original game over this “remake” project

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth Is Absolutely Stuffed With Queer Rep
Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth reviews are out now, giving us a taste of what the highly anticipated sequel has to offer. And while we won't delve into spoilers just yet, one thing that's stood out from our time with the game is that Rebirth is full of queer representation, much more so than previous games.

This was noted by our reviewer, Jade King, as she made her way through Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth. There are multiple queer couples to find throughout the world, many with their own stories you can learn about through overheard dialogue. Jade even spotted one lesbian couple multiple times in the game, with something different going on in their relationship each time she ran into them.
On the whole, it seems that there's been a conscious effort to diversify the kind of NPCs you run into throughout the game. There are numerous queer couples that, while not tied to the story at all, are just hanging around, living their lives, embracing one another. In one instance, you can even find two women fighting, before later seeing them together, all made up.

While it's absolutely lovely to see these kind of smaller queer stories told organically throughout the game, it's not too surprising that Square Enix has made more of an effort this time around. Final Fantasy 7 Remake already improved on the queer representation of the original Final Fantasy 7, turning the entire cross-dressing segment into a celebration of the LGBTQ+ community. Rather than shy away from it - given how the original has aged - Square Enix went all out, making the scene more over the top while keeping its depiction of queer culture respectful.

With LGBTQ+ characters included in Final Fantasy 16 too, it's safe to say that Square Enix is actively working on representing queer identities in its games. This is particularly nice to see with Rebirth, since the studio could have hidden behind the argument that there wasn't much queer rep to be found in the original.

But as we've already seen with Remake, Square Enix isn't afraid to make significant changes to the original story. We'll just have to wait and see how far-reaching these changes have been in other areas of the game, when Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth launches on February 29.

Source: The Gamer

911 Jumper

Educated

Based on what I've seen, I'm inclined to agree. I'm also generally not fond of the realistic art style. I feel as if I'm watching a bunch of cosplayers larping. It's all very camp and pantomime-ish. It's hard to take the game seriously. These characters were originally designed as manga-style characters so to see them as “real” people is bizarre. It doesn't translate well. Cloud looks like a Korean boyband member running around with a sword that's too big for him. It all just looks so goofy and camp.

Elttharion

Learned
Wasn't going to buy it anyway, but it's just another reason why I prefer the original game over this “remake” project

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth Is Absolutely Stuffed With Queer Rep
Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth reviews are out now, giving us a taste of what the highly anticipated sequel has to offer. And while we won't delve into spoilers just yet, one thing that's stood out from our time with the game is that Rebirth is full of queer representation, much more so than previous games.

This was noted by our reviewer, Jade King, as she made her way through Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth. There are multiple queer couples to find throughout the world, many with their own stories you can learn about through overheard dialogue. Jade even spotted one lesbian couple multiple times in the game, with something different going on in their relationship each time she ran into them.
On the whole, it seems that there's been a conscious effort to diversify the kind of NPCs you run into throughout the game. There are numerous queer couples that, while not tied to the story at all, are just hanging around, living their lives, embracing one another. In one instance, you can even find two women fighting, before later seeing them together, all made up.

While it's absolutely lovely to see these kind of smaller queer stories told organically throughout the game, it's not too surprising that Square Enix has made more of an effort this time around. Final Fantasy 7 Remake already improved on the queer representation of the original Final Fantasy 7, turning the entire cross-dressing segment into a celebration of the LGBTQ+ community. Rather than shy away from it - given how the original has aged - Square Enix went all out, making the scene more over the top while keeping its depiction of queer culture respectful.

With LGBTQ+ characters included in Final Fantasy 16 too, it's safe to say that Square Enix is actively working on representing queer identities in its games. This is particularly nice to see with Rebirth, since the studio could have hidden behind the argument that there wasn't much queer rep to be found in the original.

But as we've already seen with Remake, Square Enix isn't afraid to make significant changes to the original story. We'll just have to wait and see how far-reaching these changes have been in other areas of the game, when Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth launches on February 29.

Source: The Gamer
I dont know what is more ridiculous, the fact that Square bothered to add this or that someone probably obsessively looked at all NPC interactions to find if some of them were faggots. FWIW they already did this in FF16, I remember someone mentioning you can find minor NPC homo couples in the game. Only one I remember is two dudes near the brothel but there are probably more.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I dont know what is more ridiculous, the fact that Square bothered to add this or that someone probably obsessively looked at all NPC interactions to find if some of them were faggots. FWIW they already did this in FF16, I remember someone mentioning you can find minor NPC homo couples in the game. Only one I remember is two dudes near the brothel but there are probably more.

Japan is appealing to western market.

They know what they are doing and the positive marketting this is on western market. It is also important to target future western market (e.g. young westerner, who are liberals)

911 Jumper

Educated
FF16 was the first FF to feature a gay kiss, if I'm not mistaken, so the presence of other NPC gay couples in that game doesn't surprise me. FF16 was the first numbered single-player FF I skipped.

Elttharion

Learned

Japan is appealing to western market.

They know what they are doing and the positive marketting this is on western market. It is also important to target future western market (e.g. young westerner, who are liberals)
Its also a very minor thing so it can be cut if they want to sell the game in certain countries and in the west if you complain you will get a 'its just in the background bro, why do you care' and most people will just tell you to ignore it. Disney started like this too, a blink and you miss it scene that was removed in China/etc, now they are fully on board with it.

Elttharion

Learned
FF16 was the first FF to feature a gay kiss, if I'm not mistaken, so the presence of other NPC gay couples in that game doesn't surprise me. FF16 was the first numbered single-player FF I skipped.
Its an okay-ish game. I dont regret playing it but then again I borrowed both the console and the game. The gay shit is really cringe and tacked on, there are like two or three scenes between the homos. He also dies in the end and is pretty insane during most of the game.

REhorror

Educated
FF16 was panned because it features pretty much no non-whites (despite having asians and arabs), and it's based and redpilled for that.
A minor gay kiss by the villains does nothing to change it.

REhorror

Educated

Based on what I've seen, I'm inclined to agree. I'm also generally not fond of the realistic art style. I feel as if I'm watching a bunch of cosplayers larping. It's all very camp and pantomime-ish. It's hard to take the game seriously. These characters were originally designed as manga-style characters so to see them as “real” people is bizarre. It doesn't translate well. Cloud looks like a Korean boyband member running around with a sword that's too big for him. It all just looks so goofy and camp.
Don't you mean a Japanese boy band member? Where does the Korean come from?
That has always what Cloud looks like, btw, his influence from Miyamoto Musashi wielding a metal pad aside.

911 Jumper

Educated
Its an okay-ish game. I dont regret playing it but then again I borrowed both the console and the game. The gay shit is really cringe and tacked on, there are like two or three scenes between the homos. He also dies in the end and is pretty insane during most of the game.
I saw the clip of the kiss on YouTube. The two male characters were in a room and the camera was at a distance but it was clear they had a kissing moment.
Wasn't aware there were more scenes involving the gay characters. No wonder the Saudis rejected it. I'm glad I skipped it, the gay stuff is just one of several reasons I didn't bother with 16.

That has always what Cloud looks like, btw, his influence from Miyamoto Musashi wielding a metal pad aside.
Japanese, Korean, what's the difference in this case? The spikey bottle-blonde hairstyle is common among boy band members from both countries. This is a k-pop “male”:
17b02d6c823fdfdeb22ea0263656fb3243511c6d_hq.jpg

I know Cloud's design has stayed the same and that his signature weapon is a large [Buster] sword. My point is it looks goofy when a realistic art style is applied. Have a look at that clip of Cloud playing the piano that I posted a few posts back and tell me that the huge Buster sword strapped to his back doesn't look utterly ridiculous. It'd be less comical if the visuals were more stylised (by this I mean non-realistic art style).

REhorror

Educated
I saw the clip of the kiss on YouTube. The two male characters were in a room and the camera was at a distance but it was clear they had a kissing moment.
Wasn't aware there were more scenes involving the gay characters. No wonder the Saudis rejected it. I'm glad I skipped it, the gay stuff is just one of several reasons I didn't bother with 16.

Japanese, Korean, what's the difference in this case? The spikey bottle-blonde hairstyle is common among boy band members from both countries. This is a k-pop “male”:
17b02d6c823fdfdeb22ea0263656fb3243511c6d_hq.jpg

I know Cloud's design has stayed the same and that his signature weapon is a large [Buster] sword. My point is it looks goofy when a realistic art style is applied. Have a look at that clip of Cloud playing the piano that I posted a few posts back and tell me that the huge Buster sword strapped to his back doesn't look utterly ridiculous. It'd be less comical if the visuals were more stylised (by this I mean non-realistic art style).
The difference is that the Japanese made it first. The Korean just copies afterwards and they lack the ridiculous spikey hair of the japanese.

And no, FF7 has always looks ridiculous even when it comes out, you sound like you are just mad that more asian males are being represented in video games instead of the manga style where you can be mistaken for either white or japanese.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom