Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout New Vegas: Weapons/Character Build Talk.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I remember a few NCR characters in New Vegas talking about how they were spreading themselves too thin, expanding too fast, and that they're too focused on their campaign to expand rather than taking care of their current lands. Which is another reason why I also think the House ending is the best -- by handing them their asses and forcing them to pay for the electricity they should hopefully slow their expansion campaign down considerably.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I kind of do regret the one time I did finish NV (before all the DLC's) I didn't side with Mr. House. Maybe someday..... if I ever decide to play this again I might do that.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
The assassin teams sent for bad reputation are mostly melee users, iirc. So the image that lasts is of a bunch of guys with swords pouncing on you.
They had machine guns too iirc.

IIRC, usually the Legion hit squads have only one strictly melee user with a Super Sledge or Thermic Lance. The rest use firearms (though they may switch to melee weapons at close ranges).

Most of us probably never experienced the machete wielding assassin, seeing as actually giving him the machete at low levels was a bug fix in jsawyer.esp, most probably encountered your first assassins with the highest tier items like Chainsaws/Super sledge/Thermic lance.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
People believe the NCR is going to collapse?

At best, they will lose influence and power in the Mojave. But you can't just kill the President of NCR and watch it fall apart. Its weakness of being big and inefficient is also its key strength: defeating the NCR in one fight won't cripple it because it's so big.

You have to remember that through sheer force of numbers they defeated the BoS Mojave chapter. It would take a long time before NCR fell (or dozens of nukes at all of their major towns/cities/outposts).

Last edited:

bloodlover

Arcane
This thread makes me want to play the game again, especially since I have not played any of the DLCs.

Last edited:

At best, they will lose influence and power in the Mojave. But you can't just kill the President of NCR and watch it fall apart. Its weakness of being big and inefficient is also its key strength: defeating the NCR in one fight won't cripple it because it's so big.

You have to remember that through sheer force of numbers they defeated the BoS Mojave chapter. It would take a long time before NCR fell (or dozens of nukes at all of their major towns/cities/outposts).
The NCR is going to starve to death in as little as a decade.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I think Mr. House is the best choice. He's not immoral, he's amoral.

This might be true except for the extreme amount of arrogance he embodies.
He is way too selfish and self-absorbed to be truly amoral. Every time I play the game I promise myself to not kill House.. I always do.

This game was so great.. What the fuck happened with PoE. Gonna have to re-install now.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why you guys don't wanna take over the wasteland yourselves? I know Codexers are good guys but not THAT good.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
This game was so great.. What the fuck happened with PoE. Gonna have to re-install now.

Even though the Fallout 3 engine is fucking horrible, having a pre-made engine and assets meant that Obisidian could use a lot more time on making content. With PoE they had to create all the assets and stuff first so they had less time and resources to develop interesting content and complex quests. At least this is what I believe.

Lhynn

Arcane
Making a good game doesnt take a good engine. It helps, yes, but as long as you make the right design choices you should be fine with whatever timeframe you are given, provided its reasonable.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

Even though the Fallout 3 engine is fucking horrible, having a pre-made engine and assets meant that Obisidian could use a lot more time on making content. With PoE they had to create all the assets and stuff first so they had less time and resources to develop interesting content and complex quests. At least this is what I believe.

• They had to create -tons- of assets for New Vegas too..
  • They got a engine through unity which is... granted, more barebones.... but also much simpler to rework then Game Byro
  • Many of the assets for PoE were outsourced to a Chinese company (The wilderness areas)..
  • This is not a valid excuse for shitty itemization / progression / story.
    • (Busy Artists doesn't excuse shit game mechanics or story)

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

How do you figure?

• They had to create -tons- of assets for New Vegas too..
  • They got a engine through unity which is... granted, more barebones.... but also much simpler to rework then Game Byro
  • Many of the assets for PoE were outsourced to a Chinese company (The wilderness areas)..
  • This is not a valid excuse for shitty itemization / progression / story.
    • (Busy Artists doesn't excuse shit game mechanics or story)

They didn't have to create -tons- of assets for New Vegas. Hell, they didn't even have to create tons of interiors, a good percentage of them are ripped straight from Fallout 3.
They probably made about 10-15% of what Fallout 3 already provided them in assets. Most of which were minor things like retextures and some new armors.

About the engine, New Vegas didn't inherit just an engine, they inherited an entire game, they had to do very little from scratch in that regards, most of it was re-balancing as opposed to creating entirely new systems.

How do you figure?
It's been a while since I've played everything through, but there's various bits of dialogue between Chief Hanlon, Thomas Hildern, and during the Hard Luck Blues quest that paints a pretty dire picture of the NCR's resources.

"Back west, you don't see too many of these. Lakes, I mean. Natural or man-made. Any kind, really. We neglected the dams or pumped all the water out a long time ago. Owens, Isabella, the San Luis. Drained the aquifers of everything they had. Just a lot of mud and dust now. It's a different feeling, watching the sun come up over the water. Takes some getting used to. But if you're here long enough, it starts to seem normal. That's what a ranger's life is now. Looking east."

I believe it's one of the scientists who give you the estimate of starvation being an issue in less than a decade, it's why you get contracted for that plant quest to begin with, they're pretty desperate.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
It's been a while since I've played everything through, but there's various bits of dialogue between Chief Hanlon, Thomas Hildern, and during the Hard Luck Blues quest that paints a pretty dire picture of the NCR's resources.

"Back west, you don't see too many of these. Lakes, I mean. Natural or man-made. Any kind, really. We neglected the dams or pumped all the water out a long time ago. Owens, Isabella, the San Luis. Drained the aquifers of everything they had. Just a lot of mud and dust now. It's a different feeling, watching the sun come up over the water. Takes some getting used to. But if you're here long enough, it starts to seem normal. That's what a ranger's life is now. Looking east."

I believe it's one of the scientists who give you the estimate of starvation being an issue in less than a decade, it's why you get contracted for that plant quest to begin with, they're pretty desperate.

I'm fairly sure that most of it refers specifically to Mojave, not the entire NCR, which is huge. At least the NCR sharecropper farmers say that they came to Mojave because they were led to believe that farming would be profitable there but that wasn't the case, so "they should have stayed back home" etc.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
I don't see how is NCR more prone to starvation than any other faction in the game. If it's famine, it's for everyone. In fact, NCR has more chance to survive than anyone else given their relative resourcefulness.

Drax

Arcane
As far as I remember, all the main food sources in Vegas were under NCR control. Sure, we can speculate that Caesar's folk are being fed by all the imaginary territory out of the game's frontiers but, even if we accept that there may be difficulties, there's no basis to presume that it would be such a catastrophic event.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I don't see how is NCR more prone to starvation than any other faction in the game. If it's famine, it's for everyone. In fact, NCR has more chance to survive than anyone else given their relative resourcefulness.
This. You can say the same for anywhere in the wastelands. NCR, however, is probably the largest organized governing body and can develop tech to deal with future exigencies. So far from what we've seen only the Institute in Boston probably rivals them (not going to count Brotherhood of Steel since, ignoring the Capital Wastelands, they don't really control or govern much territory).

The starvation probably only refers to the Mojave region and not California proper. If they were in dire need of water then wouldn't they be trucking/pumping it as fast as they could back west? There doesn't seem much urgency there. Of course it's obvious they can't afford to expand past Vegas but assuming an NCR victory or treaty with House is the canon ending then they'll be fine.

Anyway, if it's between the government that could speculatively collapse in 10-100 years because of famine, catastrophe, whatever versus the government that absolutely will collapse when their sole leader dies it's a no brainer. Unlike ancient Rome, there isn't a Senate or seemingly any other type of oligarchy that would step in when Caesar dies.

Last edited:

I'm fairly sure that most of it refers specifically to Mojave, not the entire NCR.
No, the question is about the NCR in general.
Mass starvation in a decade or so.
Turns out dried up lakes are a problem for everyone.

I don't see how is NCR more prone to starvation than any other faction in the game.
Because the game's writing and lore takes precedence over your perception/headcanon? If it were a problem elsewhere I'm sure we'd hear about it, the legion's economy is known to be rather good, they're pretty self sufficient.

If it's famine, it's for everyone. In fact, NCR has more chance to survive than anyone else given their relative resourcefulness.
House is resourceful. The NCR couldn't wipe it's own ass without the courier's help.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom