Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 2 is boring

Fallout 2 sucks?

• Yes

Votes: 28 19.3%
  • No

Votes: 117 80.7%

• Total voters

Asc

Novice
Lord Chambers wrote:
Quick question:
Am I spoiling myself by playing Fallout 2 instead of Fallout 1 first? I mean, I know how Fallout ends since I've seen Fallout 2's intro movie, but would it kind of be a pointless experience to play though 1 after this?

Actually, that's only between you and your conscience, ""Chosen One"" ...

Asc

Novice
Reverting to the original topic, as to whether Fallout 2 "is" boring or not, I must confess that after completing Fallout 1 once and then starting Fallout 2, the moment I encountered those Deathclaws in the original vault (13?) speaking like humans, I suddenly got turned off. The post-apocalyptic world had lost its toughness and realism and began to sound like a gayass RPG (no offense to gay vault dwellers). I then found in a review the words "hasty sequel" and felt as if the author had read my mind.

Anyways, that was some years ago. Now, after playing many other genre in the meanwhile, I however once again feel an eerie attraction to the Fallout world, and wish to return to fulfill my obligation towards the lame Arroyo hippy penis worshippers.

Oh my, it's the end of 2006, directx 10 hype and shit, and I'm about to return to non-3D games btw, even found this forum, does that mean I'm terminally ill ???

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I've heard that Bethesda is making Fallout 3. I'm sure it will be a great game.

Asc

Novice
That would definitely be an incentive to swallow and digest much of Fallout 2 crap in order to catch up with the main story...On the other hand, that's a bit unlikely, since the publishers kind of see the trilogy complete as they sell Fallout 1, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics in a bundle.

Asc

Novice
It might be a major kitsch since this is the trend nowadays, but I'd like to see a properly done 3D one. And if they can make me smell the sulphur and destruction on the streets, with a few human oases on the way, then they have me !

Asc

Novice
Why the crash on Fallout:
I've always had this secret fantasy of finding myself alone, or among the few survivors of a major cataclysm on Earth, probably due to that colleague in the 8th grade (long ago) who fooled me that the end of the world was coming and I was among the very few chosen ones from different regions of the world to be spared alive by our alien creators for keeping the human kind alive. DAMN THAT KID! He even claimed that he was a simple agent of our masters, sent to assist me through that rite of passage!

He went abroad with his mom before I came to sufficient maturity to whoop his ass for that.

Admiral jimbob wrote:
How the fuck do you get more than one patch000.dat affecting mod to work? I was trying to use Killap's, the setting fixerator thing, the Vertibird and the Survivor mod. The latter two probably suck anyway, but I'm curious about them.

I for one am currently having a hard time trying to motivate myself to pick up fallout2 where I left it, due to the massive amount of dung (to be read- cow crap) they poured into that one, so I'm not into modding for now

- barbaric half-naked community? please...
- speaking deathclaws? I thought I had left D&D world !

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
Fallout 2 isn't really boring, it's just an inferior game to its predecessor.
  • -It was rushed
    -It's inconsistent -both with itself and with the first game-,
    -It's tacky, it's ugly -The art for Klamath/Modoc etc. is all the same recycled shit, Broken Hills is especially bad-,
    -It's paced much slower -The sense of direction in the original was far more prevalent-,
    -It's too combat-heavy
and worst of all : It fucks up the 50's retro style with lame story, setting and art decisions like the advanced power armor.

Zomg

Arbiter
Asc said:
I've always had this secret fantasy of finding myself alone, or among the few survivors of a major cataclysm on Earth, probably due to that colleague in the 8th grade (long ago) who fooled me that the end of the world was coming and I ...[

Part (or most) of the appeal of post-apocalyptic story telling is the misanthropist fantasy of everyone you hate being dead. That's probably a bit too stark to put on the back of a box, but it's why it appeals to people. It's why all the good zombie movies have a "Havin' fun in the corpse of society!" scene.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
It's also appealing because of the survivalist nature and the added spice of radiation and blasted landscapes. It's lawless, everything is more honest, and of course there's filthy zombies to shoot and loot. It also deals with the need to explain or build a society around new technology (which can be tedious to create and can distance the reader/player from the setting, sort of like how a lot of fantasy books which create absolutely stupid social systems for their kingdoms (and especially tribal stuff) which make no sense).

Ladonna

Arcane
Unbelievable...

Guys, Fallout 2 is a masterpiece compared to the drek out these days, think about it.

I am actually thinking about buying Might and Magic 9 just for the sake of getting an RPG that I haven't played, thats how desperate things are getting. :wink:

Seboss

Liturgist
I find the need to repopulate a world mostly devoid of human life quite appealing too.

Hehehe ... *rubs his hands*

Asc

Novice
MF said:
It fucks up the 50's retro style
Touche!!! That's the strong point of Fallout, with all its demagogical propaganda, hence the unbeatable irony and humor throughout the game, which should be preserved in future developments, not trampled by kitsch, like fucking tribal culture perpetrated by my beloved character and his bunch of neopaganic psychopaths. That sort of extravagance can only be perpetrated in the modern societes and not in a post-apocalyptical one, because there such protests are completely unnecessary.

What could have been wrong with our outcast living a secluded life with his kin among scraps of metal, and his kids walking around stained all over with vaseline and radioactive waste, trying to make a tough living, and thus really needing the GECK to make a difference in their lives? Oh, no, his folks HAD to be complete lunatics! What in the world do they really need the GECK for, have you ever wondered, maybe to grin at it?

I remember how I laughed my ass out reading the informative booklets in the original Fallout, of how to avoid radiation poisoning and carelessly live a "normal" life, at the same time contemplating how close our world has got to that scenario! No game has ever touched me like that.

Asc

Novice
Zomg said:
Part (or most) of the appeal of post-apocalyptic story telling is the misanthropist fantasy of everyone you hate being dead.
Close, but not necessarily "everyone" as human beings, but more likely "everything" you hate being dead, such as artificial barriers imposed by society in terms of station, ethnicity, race, sex, you name it... when the society is revolutionized, you and I can no longer perceive the other as "plebeian, jew, nigger, gay, etc." (examples purely academical), but a form of equality and impartiality is restored. Isn't that what we all wish for on the inside?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
You useless, brainless moron necromancer should immediately dig a grave and hop into it from great height to improve the gene pool.

Asc

Novice
Jasede said:
immediately dig a grave and hop into it from great height to improve the gene pool.

ok, that's a bit more elaborate, but definitely a stolen line since it's out of topic.
heck, even a quick search reveals some clones of yours serving the same expired lines:

http://209.85.135.104/search?q=cache:Cl ... clnk&cd=78

http://209.85.135.104/search?q=cache:lt ... lnk&cd=239

u also a teamkiller? don't answer, i already know.
i have no time for personal vendettas, so if you have something rational to say, you are exculpated, cheeky one

kingcomrade said:
whatusername wrote:
asc = kingcomrade?

No, he's dumber.

Asc said:
whatusername wrote:
asc = kingcomrade?

No freaking way! He's phatter!

I could have easily taken pride in being compared to Your Majesty, but You see, Excellency, this unnecessary dialogue is the produce of forum trolls.

Quick quiz: "What is an Internet Troll/ Forum troll?"
"An "Internet troll" or "Forum Troll" is a person who posts outrageous message to bait people to answer. Forum Troll delights in sowing discord on the forums. A troll is someone who inspires flaming rhetoric, someone who is purposely provoking and pulling people into flaming discussion. Flaming discussions usually end with name calling and a flame war."

Can we please revert to non-childish comments now?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom