Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elite: Dangerous

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
But SuicideBunny I just flew past one of the new ships added this patch

B53C3810A549274315DCE6EDB2F1DD4351ED0411

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
something's seriously fucked up with NPC interdictions in this beta.
Been flying around high sec systems doing missions in my sidewinder to save up money. I was submitting to interdictions because theyr'e usually sustem authority vessels and I have no bounty or illegal goods.

hostile ships. All of them. Immediately attacking eithout scanning to see what I had. First a viper, then a cobra, then a dropship, then an anaconda, then an eagle.

also, it seems like the starting sidewinder cna't be traded in for new ships anymore. gonan take a bit longer to get the haulser

[edit]

got interdicted twice three five times more. Hostile expert eagle and hoostile expert viper and another hostile eagle.Then an expert cobra and a mostly harmless eagle. That makes it a 100% hostility rate in hi-sec systems. Where the heck are my system authority vessels? :(

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Also, on the topic of butthurt over Frontier Developments, it looks like we're getting another wipe at the end of Gamma, immediately before live. Even though they wrote in last weeks newsletter there would be no further wipes. People on the official forums are not taking it well. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

praetor

Arcane
quick question for the bros here:

what's a decent, relatively cheap joystick you'd recommend (let's say... up to 50$)?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I use this: http://www.thrustmaster.com/products/t16000m
The ambidextrous part is what was important for me, but the stick itself is... decent. The buttons feel cheap and squishy, which is a definite minus. And the trigger has way too much travel time. On th eother hand, the actual stick itself is really nice and accurate, and it feels good in my hand.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I use a Saitek Cyborg Evo: http://www.amazon.com/Saitek-102989-Cyborg-Evo-Joystick/dp/B0000AW9P1
Great joystick, using it for almost a decade and it is still precise. Buttons are nice and feel good, you can adjust the hight of the grip and tilt of the buttons. It is also ambidextrous. The only negative I can think of is the small number of buttons of the base. Only 3-3 on both sides, but you can only use one side effectively while gripping the stick, so it comes down to 3.

And although I never used it, a very professional flight sim guy recommended this, as a cheap but high quality stick:
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Extr...m_sbs_e_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1YGM4ZR2HC02QSTZ7BZ9

Ulminati's joy is also well regarded by many. Overall the Saitek-Thrustmaster-Logitech are the holy trinity of joysticks. And CH of course, but they don't have cheap joysticks.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Dunno Volly. I agree that FDs communications are arse and their going back on offline mode is sketchy as fuck. But it doesn't change the fact that the game I'm playing right now is tons of fun. r00fles!

The philosoraptor of the day: If a game is great fun to play but the company that makes it made some sketchy business decisions, is everything shit?

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Its shit if your nose is sensitive enough to smell the little turds littered through the car (sorry, couldn't resist).
That being said, if the final game turns out to be a good Multiplayergame with enough existing content (and not some online-singleplayer-meet-somebody-once-a-day bullcrap), I might simply put a clamp on my nose and buy it nonetheless.
That being said, in the 50 Bucks price range I'd go for a Logitech.
My cheap Wingman Extreme served me well for the last 14 years, but the Z-axis is showing its age so I'll probably be switching to an X52 Pro.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
logitech is very hit or miss nowadays. plenty of their stuff comes out faulty.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
They have an excellent customer service though, they sent me the new G400s after my G400 started having problems 2years in, no proof nor questions asked.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
So did anyone find any good mining spots yet? The ones I had in the last beta seem to have vanished in yesterdays update :(

Mortmal

Arcane
Also, on the topic of butthurt over Frontier Developments, it looks like we're getting another wipe at the end of Gamma, immediately before live. Even though they wrote in last weeks newsletter there would be no further wipes. People on the official forums are not taking it well. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
And rightfully so, could have expected an headstart, theres no point starting over and over to get the starter ships again. Federal dropships are at 23 millions this will be a long grind still even when you reached the cobra and upgraded it .

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Yeah. There's a dev on the official forums - Michael Brookes - who comes off as really petualnt and trigger happy when it comes to wiping player data. Some players asked him if it was true they were planning to wipe everything again for release and what their justifications were. He basically went "bawww now you forced my hand and there'll be a wipe for sure ;__;"

SHAMEFUR DISPRAY!

I'm a bit miffed myself. Not because I was really planning on noobstomping on day1. I was planning to be halfway across the galaxy by then. I'd jus tlike to start playing the game and accumulating creds in earnest.

I'm also not sure the game is really ready for prime time yet. They have some really obnoxious lingering bugs. Like the galaxy map jumps not accounting for upgraded frameshift drives when telling you how far you can go. And the "purchase market info" option is doubly useless. There's a giant box that clogs up a huge amout of screen space in the map. On top of that, the market info you get on system overview and commodities market is downright false at times. Buy good X in a system with high supply and system Y listed in "exports to". Show up in system Y only to find out they have 0 demand for good X and you're actually losing credits for every unit you'd sell. Useless.

Also, interdictions seem to be way out of whack in 3.09, with a 100% pirate frequency and popping up 3-4x as often as in 3.06.

Mortmal

Arcane
Thats exactly my thought i wanted to acucmulate cash and move far away from the starting zone getting bigger ships and explore the unknown. Noobstomping wont happen unless the nobs want it anyway as many will play the pseudo single player mode.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
The starport in styx got swapped out for a small outpost in 3.09, but Eranin/i bootis/aulin etc. still generate missions for it. Things got a bit crowded in open play. The poeple I shared my instance with didnt' get quite as trigger happy as these guys, sadly :(

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
There's more wipes coming after that according to FD. So we should stop playing entirely then? :3

Mortmal

Arcane
That update is a mess , wiped all my custom keybindings on hotas , and now the rudder doesnt work at all. Back in a sidewinder again, not seeing any significant change, as for the reason of so many data wipes and when if they will happen again its a mistery...

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Some hotfix, v3.9.1:
- Avoid crashing if neither the main texture nor the alt texture are usable, instead fallback to the same behaviour we would use if the main texture did not exist
- Replaced a missing station prototype with one that exists
- Survive the situation where fused text meshes (and other types) have more characters than the maximum. 4 "Paul-Friederichs Expedition Base Camp" station names fused together are too much for the current maximum
- Prevent crash when in a location with no faction
- Improve entry into first location – could help with some peculiar connection issues
- Fix crash opening UI panel using left shift
- Made the the new freetrack protocol cope with missing functions in the dll. This should prevent the crash on startup some users are seeing
- Reload all ammo no longer free
- More consistent, and more frequent USSs
- Don't allow child stars to be considered for mission variables
- Fix "Missing faction for location polity" error win tutorial stations
- Planet generation: Changed the way that the effects are loaded – prevent connection loss is texture generation takes too long
- Changed the star hotspots calculation to cope with the asynchronous behaviour of the effect loading
- Fix AI ships not being able to fire gimballed multi-cannons
- Fix the difference in repair costs due to not taking into account the faction relationship of the player for that station
- Speculative fix for failure to set up a talk channel
- Fixes for typos in mission branching
- Fixed X55 binding file so it should work correctly
- Focus now passed back to game after alt-tabbing
- Increased the cool down for Frame Shifting to 40 seconds for all ships
- Moved the blast shield animation into the pad raising state (added a delay on the small pad launch state so that the blast shield doesn't raise again straight away
- Additional telemetry to help understand why some location entries take extended amounts of time
- Fix broken pulse laser audio
- Refactored special treatment of ship rtpcs when arriving from supercruise
- Reduce unnecessary web traffic in interdictions
- Some shadowing fixes
- Remove Russian as a supported language. Because it's not a supported language yet
- Adding some fixes for malformed newsfeed symbols
- Bail out of application startup if there are no suitable display modes available

Bradylama

Arcane
I know that this discussion is already in the past for most of you but I'd like to bring up a few points:

1. I don't think you guys appreciated what I meant when I said that many people in the United States can only get "broadband" through a wireless connection. Wireless internet services only give you, say, 10 Mbps when they actually work on a nice cloudless day at ideal temperatures, but the strength of a signal can easily decline in bad weather, cold weather, hot weather, or a car slamming into a broadcast tower. One of the projects at my job has an active monitoring system for a retail company that exclusively uses wireless aircards for their VPN routers, and it is a goddamn nightmare to deal with. Any time the packets drop for 5 seconds it also causes the tunnels to drop, which causes a flag in our monitoring system that wastes 5-10 minutes of our precious time making up a ticket and logging into the router to prove that there's no issue because some sales department dipshit thought that selling our wireless-onlly customers a monitoring service is a no-lose situation. If you don't think that kind of instability will affect the gameplay in an always-online videogame you are hopelessly naive. I know that some of you yuropoors already have universal fiber backbones, so I can only assume these attitudes arise from ignorance.

2. Not everybody who bought into this game was financing the kickstarter campaign. I myself bought into it before the original Beta because I wanted to get in on the lifetime expansion pass. That is a retail purchase and not a donation. It is not the same thing at all. Quit deluding yourself.

3. An offline mode is not like a stealth skill, or any other gameplay feature, it is a game all of its own. More importantly, it provides a means of always being able to enjoy the "Elite Experience" even if a hillbilly shoots out the fiber optical node or El Nino drops a hurricane on your doorstep. It also guarantees that people with shitty internet connections do not have to deal with the frustrations of laggy and unreliable online gameplay. For thousands of people out there it is the only way they can enjoyably play the game. Removing that feature makes it mechanically impossible for them to actually be able to play the game in any enjoyable state. If you don't think its removal entitles those people to a refund, then you must have never asked for a refund from the movie theater when they project a film with no sound or picture.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
I know that this discussion is already in the past for most of you but I'd like to bring up a few points:

1. I don't think you guys appreciated what I meant when I said that many people in the United States can only get "broadband" through a wireless connection. Wireless internet services only give you, say, 10 Mbps when they actually work on a nice cloudless day at ideal temperatures,
How can this country be a superpower?
oh_i_get_it.png
Are they going to use abacus to count in a few years? Because it seems they are developing backwords in informatics technology?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom