Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dwarf Fortress now on Steam with a graphical overhaul

Mortmal

Arcane
Broken unplayable poorly though and as user unfriendly possible piece of shit , just corrupted my save.. Codex game of the year i guess
That happens even in the base game. Save often and duplicate your saves is your only hope.
yes i got an older save working but whats the point if cave invasions or something else ends up wrecking it sooner or later. Could also remove them, but whats the point of a game without any danger, not that there's much already. It really kills all my motivation to play.

Cael

Arcane
Broken unplayable poorly though and as user unfriendly possible piece of shit , just corrupted my save.. Codex game of the year i guess
That happens even in the base game. Save often and duplicate your saves is your only hope.
yes i got an older save working but whats the point if cave invasions or something else ends up wrecking it sooner or later. Could also remove them, but whats the point of a game without any danger, not that there's much already. It really kills all my motivation to play.
You just need to build defences to take care of the invasions. I literally have over 1000 cage traps all over my "lawn" that take out every invasion that comes my way before it even reaches my walls. Then, I strip the bad guys and use them for live target practice with bone bolts.

This is on v.44, though, not that Steam shit.

Mortmal

Arcane
You just need to build defences to take care of the invasions. I literally have over 1000 cage traps all over my "lawn" that take out every invasion that comes my way before it even reaches my walls.
No i mean the mechanism of invasions break the game itself causing the load units failure when loading saves.

Cael

Arcane
You just need to build defences to take care of the invasions. I literally have over 1000 cage traps all over my "lawn" that take out every invasion that comes my way before it even reaches my walls.
No i mean the mechanism of invasions break the game itself causing the load units failure when loading saves.
Really? What didn't happen in the version I am playing. I guess that is what happens when you go Steam.

Mortmal

Arcane
Really? What didn't happen in the version I am playing. I guess that is what happens when you go Steam.
Could also be there's simply many more people playing and you can build bigger faster, ton of issues that were in for years are revealed. I am far from the only one to encounter those issues and some says it was there years ago in non steam versions.
When its not that its something else, earlier i had trouble with nobility and dwarves not getting their baron promotion when granted.

Cael

Arcane
Could also be there's simply many more people playing and you can build bigger faster, ton of issues that were in for years are revealed. I am far from the only one to encounter those issues and some says it was there years ago in non steam versions.
When its not that its something else, earlier i had trouble with nobility and dwarves not getting their baron promotion when granted.
I always got the baron promotion when granted in my games.

The only problems I had was actually merchants appearing and crashing the game. And of course the random crashes that happen. That is just normal. For a set point, only the merchant bug got me. Once.

Pipeweed

Arcane
Sf7aWk8.png

Chained an elf to the entrance as the watchman but he's fighting my guys too, dfwiki says its safe to chain forgotten beasts as they become pacified i guess it was trolling...

Thinking of connecting cavern 2 forgotten beasts to first layer to get rid of infinite respawning cavefishmen invasion
I cant wait for my ugly first fort to die but im actively working against it :D

also setting up a spiral minecart elevator between magma and surface has been easier than expected. If you set them to be dwarf guided it just works.

Last edited:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

I like Matt but he's taking up far more personal screen real estate than I'm used to or comfortable with in these YT playthroughs. Prefer him to be a little PIP in the corner of my screen during a playthrough like the rest of them. Actually I prefer that if they have a penis and are unpretty they ALL not be onscreen at all. Only the hottest of e-babes and gamer girls with their barely concealed bosoms should be doing PIPs.

Pipeweed

Arcane
Patch v50.05 released
Major
Fixed saved corruption caused by certain armies bringing uninitialized protocreatures instead of monsters

hold onto your corrupted saves :lol:

covr

Prophet
Patron
I am a bit disappointed, expected much more after winter break and expanding dev team. The pachlog is like 4 items long, mostly minor stuff + pathfinding upgrade, while there are dozens of critical bugs, effectively making the game unplayable in the long term which is more than couple of hours.

In the meantime Songs of Syx dev puts daily patches, sometimes twice a day, with long lists of updates, fixes and improvements, for his latest 63 alpha.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
I am a bit disappointed, expected much more after winter break and expanding dev team. The pachlog is like 4 items long, mostly minor stuff + pathfinding upgrade, while there are dozens of critical bugs, effectively making the game unplayable in the long term which is more than couple of hours.

In the meantime Songs of Syx dev puts daily patches, sometimes twice a day, with long lists of updates, fixes and improvements, for his latest 63 alpha.
I wish I was as good as the SoS dev. What a legend. Makes awesome game, fast updates, somehow the art is not trash. We must kidnap him and study his brain. How does he do it?

covr

Prophet
Patron
Well, some of his art is shit, like the main faces/symbols of each race, and you have to stare at it for the whole time, as it is a part of the UI.

He is also terrible at keeping track of all the changes he has done.

Still, super talented guy.

Mortmal

Arcane

I remmber reading a review of dwarf fortress like ten years ago in a magazine, they were talking of issues like trading post bugging etc, ten year later it's still the same dont get your hopes too high. Also raising the drawbridge still make your fortress invulnerable unless you have someone going berserk or werewolf inside.

Incantatar

Cipher
Thanks for mentioning SoS, wasn't on my radar.
I have real buyers remorse regarding DF. Input keys are bugged for me, registering more than once every few times. Had a lot of save corruption, dunno if it's fixed buggy inputs keep me from playing.
Also old UI feels so much better than new UI.

Cael

Arcane

I remmber reading a review of dwarf fortress like ten years ago in a magazine, they were talking of issues like trading post bugging etc, ten year later it's still the same dont get your hopes too high. Also raising the drawbridge still make your fortress invulnerable unless you have someone going berserk or werewolf inside.
Not exactly. If you put something nearby, a dragon can hit the drawbridge with its breath when it is trying to take out that something. The drawbridge will vanish then, opening you up to lots of dragonfire !!FUN!!

Cael

Arcane
What if u make it from lava/fire proof material?
Dragonfire is special. It has a temp of 50,000U. Magma is 12,000U and fire is far less.

The only LEGIT things that will withstand dragonfire is dragon bone and dragon soap, I think. There are others, but it is more an oversight than actual (ash, for example, has no boiling or melting temp, and so is not affected by any temp.).

So, you can't make a closing drawbridge that is immune dragonfire (you need a dragonfire-proof mechanism, and the only way to get that is to mine slade, which is not supposed to be possible but a bug allows it).

Pipeweed

Arcane
the intrigue system really works but only for getting your artifacts filched. you interrogate the collaborators and they blame someone who might not even exist. so I savescummed to check legends mode to see what really happened and where my stuff ended up... just straight up murder anyone suspicious who enters the map tbh

after the monarch arrived i found the trick for high room values is making gold floor tiles and engraving those instead of creating a huge room

Cael

Arcane
So don't put anything nearby the drawbridge if the dragon is dumb enough to not target it otherwise.
Most times, it is the idiot visitor you locked outside when the dragon first turned up...

Cael

Arcane
the intrigue system really works but only for getting your artifacts filched. you interrogate the collaborators and they blame someone who might not even exist. so I savescummed to check legends mode to see what really happened and where my stuff ended up... just straight up murder anyone suspicious who enters the map tbh

after the monarch arrived i found the trick for high room values is making gold floor tiles and engraving those instead of creating a huge room
You can turn that shit off by forbidding anyone but citizens for your tavern and library. Visitors won't appear then.

Cael

Arcane
embarked near the ocean and found a weird cavern with no vegetation only mud

hMlkEED.jpeg
If the cavern has no water, it won't have vegetation, IIRC.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom