Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dwarf Fortress now on Steam with a graphical overhaul

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Well, it is still 5 months off on the horizon.
lmao. I clicked it and completely missed April 2024 on the thumbnail and didn't watch til the end. I thought it was out already. :lol:

April 2024

YbqDVtl.png

None

Scholar
Graphics were a mistake. Adventure mode was a mistake. All that matters is Fortress mode. Guys like Meph are gone because of the gay graphics drama, FatmanOne too busy pursuing inconsequential additions.
At this point I'm close to giving up. Time to start looking for a replacement.

Cael

Arcane
What the hell is wrong with the original with a graphic pack (if required)? What even bother with that steam shit?

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
What the hell is wrong with the original with a graphic pack (if required)? What even bother with that steam shit?
I wonder if Toady is not looking for some kind of closure on this project. He has been on it for over 15 years, full time, and the project has been losing steam for a long time (I'd say 10 years, but I haven't played it in ages so maybe I'm wrong). And from the beginning there has been the same constant background noise : that the game is unfriendly and ugly and only for the autism gamer crowd (which in my opinion is exaggerated).
Now there is a nice colorful presentation and friendlier UI so that everybody is happy. The game is on the big platform like the others. That's it. It's real.

I've check the monthly reports in the bay12 forum and while they don't publish their income anymore they hint at several thousand of sales per months, which must be an increase. There also seems to be several members in the dev team now, which on one hand costs money, but on the other may give Tarn a bit of air and relief after holding the fort for so long.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Dwarf Fortress has some of the most appealing ASCII visuals. All this time spent on "improving" the graphics is wasted.

None

Scholar
Time to start looking for a replacement.
Maybe Dwarf Fortress (the old graphics one) would be a nice remplacement?
That is what I've been playing, but it is stale at this point. I've got the game more or less figured out, and any challenge or novel gameplay has to come from me. You can only do so many challenge runs, so many megaprojects, before you've exhausted what the game has to offer. Which is why I wanted to see him develop it further, instead of working on the aspects that I played the game in spite of.

Perkel

Arcane

Because Steam shit isn't just graphical pack for $$$:
- reworked UX and UI from ground up
- mouse support
- better performance due to co-developer knowing something about multithreading
- actually fixing bugs that were for almost decade
- adding quality of life changes straight from mods into game because he finally took some feedback into account
- actual proper pace of development instead of years of nothing between small updates
- frequent bugfixing patches (like every one-two week/s)

overall since steam introduction DF develops in lighting pace compared to what used to be like. Obviously now they focus on UI/UX and graphics mostly but that will mostly end with adventure mode and they will switch to features again.

Also adventure mode is fun stuff. I once modded mini-fortress mode into adventure mode. So i could dig, smith, melt metal ore, build a house, hire bodyguards, go to adventure or just raid villages etc.

Adventure mode unfortunately was hurt a lot more by ASCI graphics than fortress mode and it's key scheme was even more retarded than fortress one. So with proper UX/UI and graphics stuff it should be much much much more enjoyable mode.

Cael

Arcane

Because Steam shit isn't just graphical pack for $$$:
- reworked UX and UI from ground up
- mouse support
- better performance due to co-developer knowing something about multithreading
- actually fixing bugs that were for almost decade
- adding quality of life changes straight from mods into game because he finally took some feedback into account
- actual proper pace of development instead of years of nothing between small updates
- frequent bugfixing patches (like every one-two week/s)

overall since steam introduction DF develops in lighting pace compared to what used to be like. Obviously now they focus on UI/UX and graphics mostly but that will mostly end with adventure mode and they will switch to features again.

Also adventure mode is fun stuff. I once modded mini-fortress mode into adventure mode. So i could dig, smith, melt metal ore, build a house, hire bodyguards, go to adventure or just raid villages etc.

Adventure mode unfortunately was hurt a lot more by ASCI graphics than fortress mode and it's key scheme was even more retarded than fortress one. So with proper UX/UI and graphics stuff it should be much much much more enjoyable mode.
I am watching some let's plays of the Steam version. You can't even prevent pets from opening doors now, unless you prevent everyone from using the door.

I would like to delay FPS death, though. That sounds interesting. However, I am leery of the windows UI. I like to be able to look up a list of jobs and suspend/cancel from the list direct, and things like that.

I don't bother with adventure mode. I play DF for the fort building.

gatorized

Literate
I am watching some let's plays of the Steam version. You can't even prevent pets from opening doors now, unless you prevent everyone from using the door.

I would like to delay FPS death, though. That sounds interesting. However, I am leery of the windows UI. I like to be able to look up a list of jobs and suspend/cancel from the list direct, and things like that.

2x2 desert embark, temp off, 20 pop cap.

Cael

Arcane

Heh. In my 17 in game years fort of 200, I still have things for the dwarves to build, and they are not even close to completing the final vision :D

gatorized

Literate

Heh. In my 17 in game years fort of 200, I still have things for the dwarves to build, and they are not even close to completing the final vision :D
So you don't actually want to delay fps death?

Cael

Arcane

So you don't actually want to delay fps death?
Not playing would also be a solution, but then again, I assumed that people here would be smart enough to understand that the ultimate aim is to play the game.

gatorized

Literate
I was playing adventurer mode a decade ago. How it is suddenly something breathlessly being awaited?
Because the dumbed down GUI version people paid for on Steam doesn't have it.
The Steam version is a better base than the main version, even if you mod it to have GUI. It is peak OLD GUD NEW BAD codexbrain to pretend otherwise.
Fucking MOUSE CONTROL. And somehow less FPS death and crashes.
Old things are objectively better than new things.

Cael

Arcane
I was playing adventurer mode a decade ago. How it is suddenly something breathlessly being awaited?
Because the dumbed down GUI version people paid for on Steam doesn't have it.
The Steam version is a better base than the main version, even if you mod it to have GUI. It is peak OLD GUD NEW BAD codexbrain to pretend otherwise.
Fucking MOUSE CONTROL. And somehow less FPS death and crashes.
Old things are objectively better than new things.
The whole idea of mouse control being good is hilarious. I watched a few let's play of the Steam version. Things that I can get done in a few key taps takes half a minute via mouse. That is not QOL. That is dumbing down retardation.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
The whole idea of mouse control being good is hilarious. I watched a few let's play of the Steam version. Things that I can get done in a few key taps takes half a minute via mouse. That is not QOL. That is dumbing down retardation.
Maybe you aren't aware, but you are repeating what Linux yetis were saying 20 years ago about graphic interface. Hot tip: they use graphic interface now.

Cael

Arcane
Maybe you aren't aware, but you are repeating what Linux yetis were saying 20 years ago about graphic interface. Hot tip: they use graphic interface now.
Pandering to normies is a good thing, according to you. OK.

gatorized

Literate
They were right. The graphic interface is worse, no matter how many people are using it. Quality is not a matter of opinion.

ADL

Prophet
What's Adventure Mode and What's Left To Do? ⛏ Dwarf Fortress Dev News
Plus new art and animations
The Adventure Mode update is approaching, so let's talk about it, and the upcoming year more broadly.

What is Adventure Mode?
In the way the terms are usually used, Adventure Mode is something like a computer roleplaying game or a traditional roguelike, but it doesn't follow the expected contours. You control a character or party and set out into the generated world. The characters you've read about on Fortress Mode wall engravings are out there, as well as the cities and goblin towers. Making the entire world come alive has been a massive project to tackle alongside Fortress Mode over the decades, and to this point we've explored some avenues more than others. It's a wholly unique, rough experience that can be compelling as well as frustrating. Here is just a small sample of the art for the procedural portraits and clothing with different species done by Carolyn:

db78b831c05445c7c72497a41bd351a6f819305d.png

There's no storyline per se, but you can...

Fight:
If you've read some Fortress Mode combat logs, you know part of what to expect. Combat in Adventure Mode is turn-based, and you can aim at body parts and wrestle as you see in those logs, with even more detail. Ever tried to convert your entire Fortress population into necromancers or vampires? Nothing will stop you from seeking these things out as an adventurer (why not both?), and using your new powers as you see fit.

Roleplay:
Play as an animal person and ride around on a giant animal with a small animal on your shoulder and another animal running alongside. Dance in a meadhall or under the earth. There are even bandits and giant rats if you are feeling nostalgic. Or you can offend the gods and become a giant rat for a week, or offend a mummy and become cursed for the rest of your miserable short life.

Explore:
Visit your old fortresses, or retire in a town and recruit yourself later. See the world to its full extent, from the glaciers to the deserts and jungles, from the kobold caves and night troll dens to minotaur labyrinths. Face the demon emperor of the goblin civilization on their home turf and use ancient knowledge to bend them to your will. There are really quite a few things to do.

Sandbox Problems
These possibilities lead to difficulties which aren't atypical in games these days. Sandbox games are undirected, and the sandbox can have cracks. Adventure Mode is no exception. It's a large sandbox with large cracks. Some problems we've noticed from previous Adventure Mode iterations:
- You won't always get the reactivity you expect to your accomplishments and from your actions.
- Characters can have a cookie-cutter feeling to them.
- It can be hard to find the information you need to pursue a goal you've chosen.
- Battle is merciless and it isn't simple to heal.
- Some aspects of towns are thrown together and shops aren't satisfying.

These problems are well-known; most are the starting point for games that operate in this mode. Some are easier to tackle than others.

What's left to do?
As with our earlier work on Fortress Mode, the goal is to update the existing visuals and interface and also make the game more approachable for new players. A lot of the graphics carry over from Fortress Mode, and the menus are generally less complicated, which is good. On the flip side, tackling the new player experience is somehow even harder this time around. There are all kinds of ways to handle it, and we've chosen a way forward that's consonant with our overall goals for Dwarf Fortress.

There are several menus left to tackle. The information screens and character generation are the main remaining bits. Carolyn is drawing a ton of combat icons that came up for wrestling and striking (so you can target toes with your crab pincers), so we don't have combat menu footage yet. We're also adding combat animations!

dde15f55e531d42486c18a13f9ba44393fc59840.gif

Before any Adventure Mode update, we need to:

• do some basic cleanup in the human towns, with how shops and other buildings handle items and furniture
  • clean up how property is recognized
  • generally tighten up the city side of the experience to give the new player some grounding
  • old adventure menus must also be fully converted for mouse + keyboard
  • the graphics and audio must be complete

This is probably a good time to mention that there will also be a whole new full soundtrack released alongside Adventure Mode by Simon & Dabu.

We're still aiming to release all of this in April -- that's only three months away! The cabin building aspect of the game may or may not make it in, since it's complicated. If it doesn't make the first update, it will be in the second feature update.

We think it's more important that we immediately, directly address the new player experience.

Demigods and Tutorials
Adventure Mode suffers from the sandbox frustration of feeling lost and aimless. Adventure Mode has had three difficulty levels up to this point: Peasant, Hero, and Demigod. These affected your starting statistic point pools in character generation - the more elite-sounding levels are easier, not harder, reflecting the power of the character. We're turning Demigod difficulty into both a tutorial mode and an avenue for us to improve magical aspects of the fantasy setting generally. Peasant will remain the pure sandbox old players are used to. Hero balances these approaches, easing some of the difficulty of finding companions and quests.

Demigod characters will receive instruction and ongoing help from their patron/parent. All difficulty levels will benefit from changes to deities, but sandbox characters will have to find their own ways to interact with them, at their own risk. We'll also:
- tweak the Hero level encounters with gods to something that strikes a balance again, leaning toward a more epic feeling
- expand dungeons and temple relic hunting to facilitate more direction for Demigod characters
- provide more healing options

Again, other difficulty levels will be able to interact with these pieces of the world as well, on different terms.

Myths and Magic
People that have been following Dwarf Fortress development these many years will recall both the current cosmology of the game in these changes, and perhaps wonder about the aspirations we have toward proceduralizing the entire setup (including the existence of gods and how and whether magic works). We're going to use this opportunity to set the stage for the new framework, to be expanded upon in the future.

Siege improvements (he he he), investigations of villains, the ability to lead criminal networks, and other features that were in the air before we made the transition to the Premium version are not forgotten either, and we'll be seeing about working on these after the initial Adventure Mode update.

What about my fortress?
Where does Fortress Mode fit in? First, we have an update with bugfixes coming in the next week or two (thanks Putnam!).

But on top of the ability to explore and visit your old fortresses, Fortress Mode at the very minimum will see these benefits with the initial Adventure Mode update:
- the addition of portraits
- that whole new soundtrack I mentioned earlier
- site map visuals on embark

Forts will also eventually have access to the new healing methods, and the new deity improvements through temples, but implementing those connections might occur in a subsequent update, since the hospital in particular is complicated to change. It's exciting because magical healing methods will be fully procedural, and connecting that sort of system to Fortress Mode has been a long-standing dream of ours.

Finishing Adventure Mode will also allow us to get back into regular Dwarf Fortress development, where most subsequent feature updates will either center on or impact Fortress Mode, while Adventure Mode and Legends Mode continue to evolve in parallel.

- Tarn and Zach
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/975370/view/3973931474165976101

Perkel

Arcane
It feels like they finally started to develop game after all these years of update every 2 years. When they will finally finish adventure mode it feels like they will go ballistic on features and finally finish most of badly designed stuff.

covr

Prophet
Patron
It's going to be exactly opposite, you can expect meaningless updates every year or two.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom