Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dwarf Fortress now on Steam with a graphical overhaul

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I'm constantly getting these random "cannot reach" notices, usually when I'm building on a tile that contains some loose shit like a rock. Have to resume construction manually which fixes the problem. No stockpile priority which is really annoying, no cloning tool and no way to mass order deconstruction of furniture for example.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I modded out all the sexual aberrations with the [ORIENTATION] tag Seigneur Locklear posted. My eyes glazed over a few times so hopefully I didn't give worms any ideas.
I think the way saves work, you need to generate a new world for these to apply. I haven't bothered to mod them out, but probably will in the future. I don't mind black dwarves though, easier to tell them at a glance if there's color variance.

On the note of modding, if you guys want a more Tolkinesque fortress, you can also fiddle with the sex ratio. I adjusted it after being tired of consistently getting 5-6 female dwarves in my initial group.
creature_standard.txt
[CASTE:FEMALE]
[FEMALE]
[POP_RATIO:20]
[CASTE: MALE]
[MALE]
[POP_RATIO:100]
The above will for example result in 5 to 1 male dwarf ratio.

Another problem I've had, immersion wise - is the prevalence of bald dwarves, especially the inability to visually separate the female ones from the males. A mod will probably and hopefully fix it in the future, but a temporary workaround includes disabling baldness all together. Apparently however, it doesn't disable it 100%, it just makes it extremely unlikely to appear. I've no idea how it works, I'm not an author of any of these modifications.
entity_default.txt
[TISSUE_STYLE:HAIR]
[TS_MAINTAIN_LENGTH:100:NONE] < this one is added in
[TS_PREFERRED_SHAPING:STANDARD_HAIR_SHAPINGS]

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
All of this woke stuff makes me want to make a tranny mod for some game. You could have a the surgery and everything. Only you would have to dilate afterward, and there would be splotches of blood and a smell that would follow your character. Also, the hormones will make you have mood swings, and there'd be an increased risk of suicide coded in behind the scenes.

Dwarf Fortress seems like as good a candidate as any, but I would probably only do the free version since I don't want to pay for that crap. :M

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You just went full:

Brazildifficulty.jpg

Good luck keeping a fort together more than a year.

Perkel

Arcane
From the point that I stopped playing DF, every update has actively made the "Fortress mode" actively worse.

Instead of improving the fortress experience, the dev went full on his "open-ended "story generator"" and adventure mode. Which is cool, but the majority of players came for the fortress and never even touched the adventure mode. And lo and behold, the Steam version comes Fortress first. Wonder why?

The developer pushes boundaries by implementing things like "short and long term memories" for dorfs, yet the game still bogs down to a slideshow even with modern tech. You can send raiding parties outside of the fort, yet military management is still nightmare material.

What the game (fortress mode) really needs is an editor and "redux" version. No 300 types of leather on the UI, if leather has no special properties, it is leather. If you want cosmetics, dye it - voila, you have black leather. No 600 Z-levels on the map. Cut out the superficial annoyances and focus on the core features: building the fort, sieges and dorf management.

Once the game runs well with large fortress and all the production and military can be comfortably managed, then you can think of adding more things to manage for the end game.

But slim chance of that ever happening. I can't fault Toady-fuck for doing what he likes to do, if that's what keeps his motivation up, good for him. But seeing how misaligned the vision for "Dwarf Fortress" is, I wouldn't give him a dime.

The various types of things isn't slowing down game. Mostly pathfinding.

Imho everything being made out of something is core part of DF for me. Whole game is based around the idea that everything is physical so different types of wood have different temperature to catch fire, same with rocks, metals etc. Their fumes also have different amount of toxicity etc.

TLDR : I want my fucking dragon skin leather armor.

Perkel

Arcane
hmm "important medical bills" and "trans dwarves"

no wonder he needed money. Getting axe wound now costs something like 100-200k in us.

Pipeweed

Arcane
this game is hilarious sometimes. dwarfs drink all the time in self medicating dosage but when you start serving alcohol in tavern they overdo and keep beating the crap out of each other.

also turn on seasonal autosave because game WILL crash every now and then

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
You guys still playin this? How's it goin? Show your fortresses!

I’m working on it, my de-homosexualization mod is now breaking the sprites of a bunch of animals and I have to either fix it or only apply it to Dwarves/Elves/Humans/Goblins.

I want to make something like this:

65027db_001.png

But I have to think of how to get fresh water by the sea. The rivers emptying into it all seem to be salty. Might have to settle for something like this instead:

65029db_003.png

Incantatar

Cipher
You guys still playin this? How's it goin? Show your fortresses!

I’m working on it, my de-homosexualization mod is now breaking the sprites of a bunch of animals and I have to either fix it or only apply it to Dwarves/Elves/Humans/Goblins.
That happened in my tests too with my usual Bash script.
I just use the fixed creature_standard.txt from here https://ghostbin.me/63912d7a176f4 atm.

Not really feeling the mouse UI, except for digging designations. Building anything is so much slower.

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
You can now construct walls on top of constructed floors, and engrave all types of constructed walls/floors (even wooden ones), that makes above ground (and underwater/magma) construction way easier and more viable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom