Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age vs Baldurs Gate 2.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
And I bet you find all that banter the height of wit.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
And, I bet you think it's the worst ever. *shrug* Predictable as always, huh?

Lesifoere

Liturgist
You don't seem to be able to read. I regard it as I regard the rest of DA's writing: nothing special. Which is the real tragedy; it could've been so bad it's good, it could have been awesomely brilliant--but instead, it's just meh.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Morrigan's writing is awesome. Fuck you. Now, those who think Minsc's writing is awesome are morons.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
baronjohn said:
I think Morrigan's writing qualifies as 'so bad it's good'

Excellent point. Still loling at that "kay, let's do a SEX ritual because that's what happens in DARK, GRITTY FANTASY" out of absolutely nowhere. And the ensuing sex scene is worthy of a Golden Raspberry.

TNO

Augur
From a cruise on the DA wiki with the best dialogue, I think Lesi is being too generous by saying it is meh. It is bad.

I'm not going to back that up with my literary credentials (although see my sig, bitches) nor am I going to get involved in the bitchfest-cum-who-can-be-most-recursively-ironic-competition going down either. But the banter I saw on the wiki attributed to Alisdair is lame.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
I actually missed most of that dialogue.

# Zevran: I have some roots from home that you may chew if you need energy. As for volume, perhaps you ought to try arching your--
# Alistair: Whoa! Whoa! Awkward!
# Zevran: You Fereldans are so finicky. How will you ever learn how to pleasure each other unless you talk about it?
# Alistair: not listening! La la la la la!

La la la la indeed. Now I'm glad I didn't let my PC romance him. Did someone say Lovecraftian?

BioWare employee Cori May said that Alistair was most comparable to "strawberries and cream, sweet and wholesome and delicious, and a little goofy."[2] While writer Sheryl Chee says "Alistair is an apricot. Cute, sweet and just a little fuzzy."[3]

# In writing Alistair, David Gaider was inspired by Xander from Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Malcom Reynolds from Firefly.[5]
# Alistair is David Gaider's favorite NPC. [6]

Well, that explains a lot.

baronjohn

Cipher
Lesifoere said:
baronjohn said:
I think Morrigan's writing qualifies as 'so bad it's good'

Excellent point. Still loling at that "kay, let's do a SEX ritual because that's what happens in DARK, GRITTY FANTASY" out of absolutely nowhere. And the ensuing sex scene is worthy of a Golden Raspberry.

Ah. I didn't get that far. I was lolling right from the beginning, but by the time I met Leliana I had had enough.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
One thing I particularly don't like about DA as I play through it, is how the Grey Warden stuff is just there to shoehorn you into the center of the plot. The background story and the lack of buildup prior to your character joining the order really just kills the immersion for me. It just feels like a somewhat bad plot device.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Lockkaliber said:
One thing I particularly don't like about DA as I play through it, is how the Grey Warden stuff is just there to shoehorn you into the center of the plot. The background story and the lack of buildup prior to your character joining the order really just kills the immersion for me. It just feels like a somewhat bad plot device.

That somewhat bothered me, but as I played on further, it is evident that a true blight was coming, so the grey wardens are recruiting like mad. So, that ultimately made sense.

Anyways, I just finished it. 98 hours total. I enjoyed it. It has it's flaws, but was enjoyable to me. I will be playing it again.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
After playing DA for quite some time, i think that combat in BG2 was more entertaining.
I am playing as rogue, so my impressions of other classes may not be 100% accurate, though.
DA had a potential to surpass BG2 with it's more advanced combat system but failed because of following factors:
- Bad encounter design combined with level scaling. Constant cinematic teleports, enemies spawning behind your back, constant chaos on the battlefield, bandits with more hp than so-called best warriors of the nation, etc. i
- Weaker magic system. With very few interesting spells and, again, constant chaos on the battlefiled , playing as mage is just not as interesting as in Bg2.
- Playing as warrior seems vey dull. Yes, they added tons of skills, but they made warrior a tank in MMORPG classification, meaning that his purpose is to hold the enemy until mage or rogue can kill him, not kicking ass himself. I don't even have time to bother with his abilities, because i am occupied with controling mage and rogue. In the end, being a warrior in BG2, where he was just swinging a sword felt more rewarding, than in DA, where he has tons of various skills.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hamster said:
After playing DA for quite some time, i think that combat in BG2 was more entertaining.
I am playing as rogue, so my impressions of other classes may not be 100% accurate, though.
DA had a potential to surpass BG2 with it's more advanced combat system but failed because of following factors:
- Bad encounter design combined with level scaling. Constant cinematic teleports, enemies spawning behind your back, constant chaos on the battlefield, bandits with more hp than so-called best warriors of the nation, etc. i
- Weaker magic system. With very few interesting spells and, again, constant chaos on the battlefiled , playing as mage is just not as interesting as in Bg2.
- Playing as warrior seems vey dull. Yes, they added tons of skills, but they made warrior a tank in MMORPG classification, meaning that his purpose is to hold the enemy until mage or rogue can kill him, not kicking ass himself. I don't even have time to bother with his abilities, because i am occupied with controling mage and rogue. In the end, being a warrior in BG2, where he was just swinging a sword felt more rewarding, than in DA, where he has tons of various skills.

The combat feels very MMO-like overall, for some reason. I can't really put my finger on what it is though.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"constant chaos on the battlefiled"

OMFG OMFG OMFG CHAOS ON A BATTLEFIELD OH noes!

" Playing as warrior seems vey dull. Yes, they added tons of skills, but they made warrior a tank in MMORPG classification, meaning that his purpose is to hold the enemy until mage or rogue can kill him, not kicking ass himself. I don't even have time to bother with his abilities, because i am occupied with controling mage and rogue. In the end, being a warrior in BG2, where he was just swinging a sword felt more rewarding, than in DA, where he has tons of various skills."

1. Playing as a warrior in DA is way more rewarding than in BG2 where, as you say, all you can basically do is swing a silly sword.

2. Warriors cna do nice damage and do their share of kills. So, yeah, they do kick ass. Espciially if you have a 2 handed weapon which does as much damage as any spell does.

3. Use your warrior abiltiies. And, if the game is too ahrd for you to do so, use the combat tatics screen to set up the ai to do so.

4. Use the pause botton. OMGZ! It is there for a reason.

P.S. Enemies spawned behind you in BG2 as well. The eocunter design is DA is awesome.

P.S.S. There are tons of interesting spells in DA. % wise, just as much if not more than BG2.

In conclusion: DA > BG2

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Lockkaliber said:
The combat feels very MMO-like overall, for some reason. I can't really put my finger on what it is though.
Because of clear tank/dps/melee dps distribution of roles between classes from MMO's?

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Hamster said:
Lockkaliber said:
Because of clear tank/dps/melee dps distribution of roles between classes from MMO's?

Yes that's exactly what I'm talking about.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Mages don't have to be dps machines in DA though. And, your 'tank' can be pretty good at dps as well...

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
I see your point Volourn and I have noticed that to some degree as well, but it's something about the mage class especially that bothers me, when in comparison to BG2. I know that mages have strategical spell like the glyphs and such, but as I remember it, BG2 had a lot more freedom when deciding what spells to use, and it gave the mage a deeper role in your party.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Well, BG2 has 200+ spells while DA has 100+. In some cases, size matters. That's true even if your typical mage will likely end up using 75-100 spells while in DA your typical mage will likely end up using 15-25 spells during the game. Percentage wise, DA has the same ratio more or less but as a pure numbers game BG2 wins. So, in that aspect, BG2 does win.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Lockkaliber said:
Hamster said:
Lockkaliber said:

Well, i don't think this is a good thing. In MMO each character is controlled by separate player, in DA they tried to implement a multiplayer system in a single-player game. BG2 had a sytem designed for single-player from the beginning.

BG2 > DA

Volourn

Pretty Princess
What? Both games are deisgned the same way. Pause n play. Use the pause botton. It's there for a reason.

DA > BG2

Dnny

Educated
Hamster said:
Lockkaliber said:
Hamster said:
Lockkaliber said:

Well, i don't think this is a good thing. In MMO each character is controlled by separate player, in DA they tried to implement a multiplayer system in a single-player game. BG2 had a sytem designed for single-player from the beginning.

BG2 > DA

AD&D2 is not single player you dumbfuck.
I don't like the MMO inclination of the DA combat system much but arguing that BG2 had a ruleset more designed for single player is totally retarded.

Who the fuck ever played AD&D2 alone ?

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Dnny said:
Hamster said:
Lockkaliber said:
Hamster said:
Lockkaliber said:

BG2 > DA

AD&D2 is not single player you dumbfuck.
I don't like the MMO inclination of the DA combat system much but arguing that BG2 had a ruleset more designed for single player is totally retarded.

Who the fuck ever played AD&D2 alone ?

Always so angry...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom