Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Dreadwolf - full reveal in Summer 2024, Solas fangirls rejoice

Child of Malkav

Erudite
-cooldown and mana combat system with overabundance of healing, decline
Cooldowns can go die in a fire, one of the worst mechanics to infect videogames. Resource based is always superior.
Overabundance of healing? I remember the potions but didn't they have cooldowns as well? Or am I remembering wrong? And a healer had a few (weak) healing spells. Back when I played I didn't really use a dedicated healer once I saw how weak the healing was compared to potions. Or just pumping dexterity for dodges.
-wasting money on full VA, still looks awkward as fuck
Meh, don't really care much.
Yeah that's bad.
-boring companions
Personal opinion. I liked some, I disliked others.
-bad encounter design
I assume some people do care about this aspect (for some reason, IDK this is not chess) but personally I don't care about these. I only care about the power of my character. Did I build him correctly so he can face pretty much anything the game throws at me or not? And besides you can use the terrain to your advantage as well as traps to deal with the more annoying enemies. Or do a tactical retreat in a doorway or another type of funnel.
Whatever they are there to be beaten one way or another so I really couldn't care less.
-cliche bioware story formula
Meh, gather allies and save the world story. Been there, done that. Every single story has been told. All of them will repeat, the only thing that matters is execution.
-uninspired world(darkspawn are literally le orcs)
I agree.
-rtwp<tb, sadly it is rtwp
I like both so whatever. Rtwp is more chaotic, TB offers more control. None are a deal breaker for me.

Another criticism would be that the armor sets are THE ugliest the gaming world has ever seen. No defense for that.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
DA:O worldbuilding was alright for a video game. Not very original ideas, but interesting enough to motivate you to find out more.

The whole pseudo Christian Chantry and Joan of Arc knock-off was cool too.

Game is ugly as shit though, even for the time.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It just didn't do anything with the ideas it had. Every storyline is half-baked or goes nowhere fast. The combat system and class design were befuddling. They somehow couldn't manage to differentiate rogues and warriors enough in a system with only 3 classes and the specializations were severely undercooked and random. The setting didn't manage to rise above budget Tolkien. Awakening was better than the base game in a lot of areas, though.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
DAO: Good but needs slight modding
DA2: Get the fuck out with this shit
DA:I: Single Player MMO Bullshit
Whatever this is: Garbage that will try to ape already outdated concepts

It just didn't do anything with the ideas it had. Every storyline is half-baked or goes nowhere fast. The combat system and class design were befuddling. They somehow couldn't manage to differentiate rogues and warriors enough in a system with only 3 classes and the specializations were severely undercooked and random. The setting didn't manage to rise above budget Tolkien. Awakening was better than the base game in a lot of areas, though.
Rogues were way more OP than fighters which was amusing to see

9ted6

Educated
Ok let me tell you what would you hear about it if it didn't come during starvation period:
-gays
-boring companions
-bad encounter design

It's legitimately unimpressive if you don't have any nostalgia for it.
Most if not all of these problems are present in BG3 and most other CRPGs made after Origins and way worse in them.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Right, rogues with 100 dexterity were almost impossible to be hit. I don’t remember if it was patched. Mages were OP as usual too.
It wasn't patched. I still preferred cunning rogues to dex ones. The damage numbers were high but they were missing quite a lot also. Mages I found to be OP only when used correctly or tactically. Play badly and the mage goes down fast. They can't take much damage unless you do one of those specific builds like high con blood mage or arcane warrior or something.

NaturallyCarnivorousSheep

Albanian Deliberator Kang
Patron
Possibly Retarded
Ok let me tell you what would you hear about it if it didn't come during starvation period:
-gays
-boring companions
-bad encounter design

Most if not all of these problems are present in BG3 and most other CRPGs made after Origins and way worse in them.
The point I'm making is that if Origins came out today but with better graphics this is what codex would say about it. It just doesn't cut it, but I don't feel like having to repeat the same fucking argument I've had with local retards about Kotor2 supposedly having better combat than Pillars(or any game featuring combat mechanics other than Kotor1 for that matter) so here's the short version - people who say that DAO does anything exceptionally well haven't taken off their nostalgia VR headset in a while. DAO with updated visuals etc. released in 2016 would be simply one of these games that were released but nobody remembered it, but in 2009 it was the last cRPG with decent budget that we were going to get for the next 4-5 years.

9ted6

Educated
-gays
-boring companions
-bad encounter design

The point I'm making is that if Origins came out today but with better graphics this is what codex would say about it. It just doesn't cut it, but I don't feel like having to repeat the same fucking argument I've had with local retards about Kotor2 supposedly having better combat than Pillars(or any game featuring combat mechanics other than Kotor1 for that matter) so here's the short version - people who say that DAO does anything exceptionally well haven't taken off their nostalgia VR headset in a while. DAO with updated visuals etc. released in 2016 would be simply one of these games that were released but nobody remembered it, but in 2009 it was the last cRPG with decent budget that we were going to get for the next 4-5 years.
DAO wasn't amazing but it was fine by its merits of coming out during a CRPG drought, being decently made and being Bioware's last good game.

I don't see how you can presumably defend Pillars or BG3 and criticize DAO when those two games have the majority of the flaws you listed even worse than Origins.

Last edited:

Shuruga

Educated
Right, rogues with 100 dexterity were almost impossible to be hit. I don’t remember if it was patched. Mages were OP as usual too.
It wasn't patched. I still preferred cunning rogues to dex ones. The damage numbers were high but they were missing quite a lot also. Mages I found to be OP only when used correctly or tactically. Play badly and the mage goes down fast. They can't take much damage unless you do one of those specific builds like high con blood mage or arcane warrior or something.

Agreed. I usually played as a DW rogue; for whatever reason I didn't play as a mage until my last playthrough a few years ago. Of course I knew the systems very well at that point and I remember thinking "Wow, I see what people mean when they say this is 'easy mode'." Even on higher difficult levels you can just obliterate pretty much everything if you know how to pull off a few combinations.

NaturallyCarnivorousSheep

Albanian Deliberator Kang
Patron
Possibly Retarded
I don't see how you can presumably defend Pillars or BG3 and criticize DAO when those two games have the majority of the flaws you listed even worse than Origins.
Well even first PoE already has better encounter design and combat than origins(2 even more so) so that's a good start and I struggle to think which flaws are worse in BG3 than on DAO outside of VA, but as I've said I feel it's like I'm talking with the guy who pretended kotor2 had better combat than pillars except the nicks don't match.

Old good new bad even if old isn't actually that old, codex 2023/2024

scytheavatar

Scholar
-gays
-boring companions
-bad encounter design

DAO wasn't amazing but it was fine by its merits of coming out during a CRPG drought, being decently made and being Bioware's last good game.

For one BG3 (and at least POE2) has turn based combat. Which automatically makes it better than RTWP decline. And we all know that rather than giving us a turn based DAO remake, these idiots in Bioware will give us an action DAO which will be even worse than RTWP.

Aarwolf

Learned
I prefer turn based, but in Deadfire rtwp works better and it feels that's the intended way to play. It does not help that you can't switch between them, like in pathfinder games.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Any game that was designed as an RTWP will have a shitty TB mode.
To create a good TB game, it is not enough to just add a turn system to the RTWP game, the game must be designed from scratch with this system in mind.
The funny thing is that we have tons of games that were RTWP and then had TB added to them, but we don't have any TB games that had RTWP added to them.
Which probably perfectly sums up how popular RTWP is.

9ted6

Educated
I struggle to think which flaws are worse in BG3 than on DAO outside of VA

Old good new bad even if old isn't actually that old, codex 2023/2024
Combat's very simplified with an abundance of healing and recovery abilities.
I'm pretty sure BG3 has full VA.
-gays
BG3's got way more gay characters and themes in it than Origins. It's even gayer than Inquisition.
-boring companions
Origins companions were serviceable while BG3's might be as bad as Inquisition's. Shadowheart has a better VA and design than Sera but she's almost as annoying.
-bad encounter design
I've not seen enough of BG3 to know this by heart but it looks like it has the same setup where you walk into rooms and enemies spawn.
Cliche Larian story formula that's as bad as any of Bioware's later games.
FR is an uninspired as they come at least in the way Larian portrayed it.
If it's done right it beats turnbased and I'm not ashamed to say it. It could've been improved though.

Rhobar121

Scholar
I wonder what world Codexers live in if they think that voice acting is a waste of money.
Presentation is important and voice acting is one of its elements.
BG3 wouldn't have sold half as well without voice acting or cinematic dialogues.
Unless you're paying for some extremely famous actors, it's not that expensive compared to the potential profits.
There are enough talented but little-known actors who are willing to perform for a relatively low price.
This is how GoT worked in the first seasons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom