Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Dreadwolf - full reveal in Summer 2024, Solas fangirls rejoice

Solarnyi

Novice
I might've been too hard on it, it's not a bad game and in hindsight it's a masterpiece compared to pretty much everything Bioware made after it. It was also Gaider before Gaider got SJW brain disease as well as the other writers.

The good thing is since Origins was made as a standalone game it's very easy to just go with its endings and pretend the sequels don't exist. They don't match with anything in Origins at all be it gameplay, design or lore so both sequels feel like they're different franchises anyway.

Gaider or the new writers can run all the damage control they want but there's no possible way they meant for Inquisition's retcons all along. They wouldn't have written Sten if they always totally meant for the Qunari to be sex positive trans accepting pacifists.
Say what you will about DA 2 (and there's a lot to say lmao) but with regard to lore and overall art design, I consider it a valiant attempt to solidify Origins' mishmash of tropes into something a bit more distinct and recognizable. The art director did surprisingly well considering the timetable and what he was given.

Unfortunately, the suits interpreted the inevitable backlash in the stupidest possible way - because obviously people weren't pissed off by the plethora of things caused by rushing out a 40-hour RPG in 18 months (gutted classes and itemization, copy-pasted maps, etc.). Instead of continuing to iterate while simply giving devs enough time to create a polished product (production values used to be a selling point for nu-BW), they threw the baby out with the bathwater to make a single-player MMO frankenstein of a game so so desperate for that Skyrim clout.

Robust friendship/rivalry systems for companion interaction were supposed to be the next evolutionary step for storyfag RPG-lites, I'll never forgive them for doing a complete 180 on that. :negative:

9ted6

Educated
I might've been too hard on it, it's not a bad game and in hindsight it's a masterpiece compared to pretty much everything Bioware made after it. It was also Gaider before Gaider got SJW brain disease as well as the other writers.

The good thing is since Origins was made as a standalone game it's very easy to just go with its endings and pretend the sequels don't exist. They don't match with anything in Origins at all be it gameplay, design or lore so both sequels feel like they're different franchises anyway.

Gaider or the new writers can run all the damage control they want but there's no possible way they meant for Inquisition's retcons all along. They wouldn't have written Sten if they always totally meant for the Qunari to be sex positive trans accepting pacifists.
Say what you will about DA 2 (and there's a lot to say lmao) but with regard to lore and overall art design, I consider it a valiant attempt to solidify Origins' mishmash of tropes into something a bit more distinct and recognizable. The art director did surprisingly well considering the timetable and what he was given.

Unfortunately, the suits interpreted the inevitable backlash in the stupidest possible way - because obviously people weren't pissed off by the plethora of things caused by rushing out a 40-hour RPG in 18 months (gutted classes and itemization, copy-pasted maps, etc.). Instead of continuing to iterate while simply giving devs enough time to create a polished product (production values used to be a selling point for nu-BW), they threw the baby out with the bathwater to make a single-player MMO frankenstein of a game so so desperate for that Skyrim clout.

Robust friendship/rivalry systems for companion interaction were supposed to be the next evolutionary step for storyfag RPG-lites, I'll never forgive them for doing a complete 180 on that. :negative:
I get that Origins was in a rough spot with its identity but I don't think 2 took it in a great direction. It made it unique but it wasn't unique in a good way. The orcspawn and generic elves were I think better than the alielves and whatever the hell darkspawn were turned into.

And as far as lore goes the templars and mages both got beaten senseless with a giant retard stick which carried over into Inquisition, though everyone in Inquisition's an idiot.

J1M

Arcane
Part of it's because Dragon Age never really ever had an identity.

Original Dragon Age Origins was some Chinese wuxia fantasy shit that was retreading Jade Empire to the point I think they said it was originally a JE spinoff. Then it turned into medieval fantasy that was intended as an homage to BG but they wanted it to be more like Warhammer, then Warcraft got popular and that became a direct inspiration for its aesthetics but less cartoony.

So right off the bat you've got a game with no solid idea of what it wants to be but it was just bare minimum consistent enough to make a game that was at least tolerable for the most part but by no means great and not really that good.

Then Dragon Age 2 comes along and directly rips from JRPGs and anime and leans back to Jade Empire. Much cartoonier and exaggerated aesthetic and tone and way more Whedonesque dialogue. Unfocused design. No C&C whatsoever. Mindless by design Awesome Button combat. Crashes and burns.

Then Inquisition which also went through multistage development hell is trying to be a dozen different games at once and bounces all over the place like it's got severe DID on top of cashing in on the early 2010s trend of aggressive prewoke pandering and doubling down on the Whedonisms. More random cock ball dick shit swearing and well THAT just happened moments. Gameplay so boring it'll put you into a coma. Obviously went through multiple iterations and content purges like the removal of the sailing and naval combat they said would be a feature because of AssCreed. Maintains raving fans because of the pandering but crashed and burned with other audiences.

At no point have the developers ever appeared to be have a single consistent vision for Dragon Age and in every sense Genderwolf's shaping up to be the worst of them all by a wide margin. The only constant is that they keep fucking it up.

I dunno, DA:O did come across as having a unified identity - Ferelden being a pretty dark and gritty scenario, and the lore was rather well done by David Gaider (wasn't it?). Maybe they were following trends, but the end product was alright. The other two are as you say though.
It seemed pretty clear to me that Origins was Baldur's Gate set in discount Lord of the Rings covered in spattered blood.

J1M

Arcane

This is a retarded take. Redoing all of the art in a new style is a stupid decision when you only have 18 months to ship.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
If they are indeed remaking Origins, they must be seriously desperate for a game that will sell.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
I don't really know what they'd improve in Origins other than graphics and the performance in Denerim, at least with ME legendary edition there were little niggles like Mako handling that were ironed out. In a fantasy world where Bioware hadn't already gutted their writing staff DA2 would be the most obvious candidate for a more thorough remake because while it sucked relative to expectations it wasn't soulless like Inquisition and you can see where parts of it were rushed and could be improved with a little TLC, but I guess it makes no sense to only redo game 2 of a series.

Last edited:

Child of Malkav

Erudite
If they remake Origins it will be in name only.
Inquisition gameplay plus all the other "improvements" and "evolution" to and of the mechanics they made over the years.
Origins had no sequels. No remakes or remasters either. Simple fact of life.

Rhobar121

Scholar
If they remake Origins it will be in name only.
Inquisition gameplay plus all the other "improvements" and "evolution" to and of the mechanics they made over the years.
A remake on the level of Dead Space would be ok, especially since the graphics from DA:O are not the best anymore. The game would probably be playable.
But again, it requires at least a minimum level of competence that I haven't seen from Bioware for years.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Remastering/remaking your old games is just a tacit admission that your current studio isn't doing well and you need money, so it's time to milk the nostalgia cow.

Unless you're Capcom, then it's just the money part.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Remastering/remaking your old games is just a tacit admission that your current studio isn't doing well and you need money, so it's time to milk the nostalgia cow.

Unless you're Capcom, then it's just the money part.
At least RE2 and RE4 were good remakes.

9ted6

Educated
If they were to remake it it would also become pozzed out the ass. Mass Effect was never that controversial with its own fans but I've seen many current day Bioware fans complain about how Origins is sexist, racist and homophobic. There's no way they'd redo it without bringing it in line with the new extremely liberalized lore and setting.
This.

Rhobar121

Scholar
If they were to remake it it would also become pozzed out the ass. Mass Effect was never that controversial with its own fans but I've seen many current day Bioware fans complain about how Origins is sexist, racist and homophobic. There's no way they'd redo it without bringing it in line with the new extremely liberalized lore and setting.
This.
I have no idea what kind of company you hang out with or what sites you browse, but that's the first I've heard of it.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
This.
I have no idea what kind of company you hang out with or what sites you browse, but that's the first I've heard of it.

You may have never been to the places where their most devoted fans roam, nor have you seen the transformation that has taken place in the minds of Bioware employees, but I confirm the above words.

EDIT: Oh, you don't belive me, Camel? Then read this: https://www.reddit.com/r/dragonage/comments/zqdl0t/dao_spoilers_issues_with_how_origins_treats_the/

Last edited:

9ted6

Educated
This.
You could or can find it on BSN and reddit though interestingly BSN generally took a stance against SJWs shortly before Bioware pulled the plug. Which is also probably why they pulled the plug. The current Bioware devs have also repeatedly stated they don't like Origins and don't want Dragon Age to be dark fantasy.

Specific example, look up the complaints about the female PC dialogue option where you can berate the other warden recruits for being scared and say you're acting braver than them despite being a woman.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

9ted6

Educated

If you have gender equality in your medieval dung age fantasy game, you've fucked up. Any believability goes right out the window.

This is why dark fantasy is clearly superior to corporate slop fantasy that has to appeal to everyone.
Take note how every post complaining about it or saying it needs changed gets heavily upvoted and the few posts saying it shouldn't be changed are heavily downvoted.

And remember they already rewrote Eamon's dad to be gay and naming his castle after his gay lover https://dragonage.fandom.com/wiki/Connor_Guerrin#Trivia and your mom in the Human Noble origin to have been a pirate queen who beat the shit out of your now simpy idiot dad when they first met. Remaking Origins completely would result in unprecedented poz and just like Inquisition it wouldn't even resemble the original Origins anymore.

La vie sexuelle

Learned

If you have gender equality in your medieval dung age fantasy game, you've fucked up. Any believability goes right out the window.

This is why dark fantasy is clearly superior to corporate slop fantasy that has to appeal to everyone.
Take note how every post complaining about it or saying it needs changed gets heavily upvoted and the few posts saying it shouldn't be changed are heavily downvoted.

Reddit moderators can manually manipulate upvotes and other things, and this community is connected to a corporation, so they definitely do it.

9ted6

Educated
Origin's worldbuilding is contradictory on Ferelden's gender equality, the thread's premise is correct.
They think Origins said its world was totally gender equal when it never did and was never meant to be. It said in character creation that men and women generally had the same opportunities but not that they were seen as equal in everything. Throughout the worldbuilding nothing ever indicates there's total gender equality.

What was a standard D&Dism to say you weren't selecting hardmode if you made a female character was taken the wrong way but then made fact in the sequels where Thedas becomes Seattle. They don't like Origins because it's not like that.

Last edited:

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Origin's worldbuilding is contradictory on Ferelden's gender equality, the thread's premise is correct.

In DO, a feudal lord could steal wife, demons of lust were only female, and busty nymphs lived in commune with werewolves.

Remember that for these lunatics "gender equality" also means "the absence of manifestations of male sexuality and forms of its stimulation".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom