Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Dreadwolf - full reveal in Summer 2024, Solas fangirls rejoice

NaturallyCarnivorousSheep

Albanian Deliberator Kang
Patron
Possibly Retarded
Old good new bad

Always has been since time immemorial

Copity copity cope
2009 isn't old you zoom zoom. Therefore dao is new and has to be judged for what it is which is to say - bottom of the barrel shit.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
If you don't agree, you should be Ashamed (Avowed)

DAO is a game from the Dark age of RPGs, true. But it is not an utter embarassment like Pillows

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
DA:O's writing is less bad than Pillars' and the combat in Pillars is less bad than DA:O's. That doesn't mean any of it is good. The combat in Pillars is actually tolerable up until the end of WM1 but goes downhill immediately after. Still, comparing the two is absurd, none of them are good in a big picture kind of way.

Kiste

Augur
I liked DA:O. It had a neat world, the lore wasn't too bad, the story was interesting enough, the companions were likeable.

You could bang a swamp witch.

Yeah, I liked it.

I am not ashamed.

Falksi

Arcane
The thing with Origins is that, even though it's in that OK-to-good range (7 maybe 8 out of 10 at a push and with everything falling to it's best) it was successful in the respect that it evolved traditional 2D CRPG-ing into 3D whilst keeping some of the core soul which made the original 2D games so brilliant. It didn't do as good a job with them as the original 2D ones, Baldurs Gate 1 & 2 are vastly superior to Origins, but Origins is one of the few modern RPGs I've played where I can feel both a modern grounding and the influence of it's forefathers. Simply put, it was a good second step for 3D CRPGs, much like KotoR was a good start.

Everything after that completely fucked it all up though. Origins should have become deeper and more complex, not simplified and shallower.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Imo, Bioware bit off more than they can chew with DA:O, exactly like Obs with Pillars. Since they had to do everything from scratch, nothing got the attention it deserves and it came out half-baked.

9ted6

Educated
I liked DA:O. It had a neat world, the lore wasn't too bad, the story was interesting enough, the companions were likeable.

You could bang a swamp witch.

Yeah, I liked it.

I am not ashamed.
I liked the way Origins presented its world. There were no massive lore dumps and instead everything was just small pieces at a time telling you about the larger world with just the right amount of detail to make it seem interesting.

Of course with how it all went to complete shit as soon as they actually started fleshing out the world in the sequels and books maybe it was just an illusion of good writing. There's no telling if all the retarded worldbuilding after Origins was always their intention or not.

Lacrymas

Arcane
There were massive lore dumps if you bothered to read the journal entries (which I did, like I always do because of various reasons). I don't remember any of it being particularly interesting but I haven't seriously played DA:O in probably 10 years.

jungl

Augur
Bioware abandoned their baldurs gate fanbase with inquisition and its singleplayer mmo combat. I wonder if they are going to copy anything from BG3 probably too late in development for that.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
I suspect that in a few years Codex will be lamenting: "Bioware is such a decline compared to Larian, where the bear was cisgender".
Bioware is already decline compared to Larian.

True. I think, maybe it's my naivety, that as a human Swen loves boobs and unnecessary violence, but ESG forced him to be LGBT+ (or at least their forms).

Bioware has never made a turn based game. Correct me if I'm mistaken.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom