Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin has sold 160,000 copies, already approaching profitability

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"At least Obsidian has Josh E. Sawyer"

Don't you mean Josh "My games Are Cancelled" Sawyer? L0LZ

Does anyone know how many copies Larian's previous games have sold? people talk like 160k+ is 'surprising' for Larian but I have my doubts about that. I'm sure their games have sold more than that previously.

jdinatale

Cipher

Does anyone know how many copies Larian's previous games have sold? people talk like 160k+ is 'surprising' for Larian but I have my doubts about that. I'm sure their games have sold more than that previously.

Do you have trouble with reading comprehension? It's not the total number of copies sold that is surprising, it's the rate at which they were sold.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I suspect the "surprising" part comes from them selling so many copies in only a few weeks. Their other games may well have sold more but that is over years, not just a few weeks.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

They said it's their fastest selling game ever. Yeah, a game that's been out for 10 years will have more total sales, but not so quickly.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
So none of you 3 idiots are capable of answering the question. LMFAO Codex. Codex never changes/

Divinity: Original Sin
So none of you 3 idiots are capable of answering the question. LMFAO Codex. Codex never changes/

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/03/05/larian-on-near-closure-divinitys-future-gender-parity/

RPS interview said:
RPS: Conventional wisdom used to say that no one wanted these sorts of games anymore. And you’ve gone from making Ego Draconis, which was much more an RPG fused with an action game to Original Sin. But this is like, by many standards, a niche within a niche. You’re making a very specific type of game. Are you at all worried about a worst case scenario? A small crowd buys it and loves it, and everyone else says, “eh, not my thing”?

Vincke: Yeah. But you know, they’ve always said that about every single game I’ve made. From Divinity 1 onward. They went on to sell really a lot of units. We’ve calculated Divinity II sales at, what, 1.3 million units? That’s not a small crowd anymore. Divinity 1 must be over a million units now if you take the entire life cycle into account. That’s a lot of people already. I refuse to believe that our players currently are the only ones who want to have an evolution of the RPG genre as it existed and that was cut off. It was cut off because it turned out that the action-RPGs sold easier and were easier to make.

Paul_cz

Arcane
So, niope, 160k is NOT impressive.
160K units in three days is impressive, and it is much more than Divinity 1 or Divinity 2 had in the same timeframe.

In anycase, this was Swen's answer about sales when I asked him today:

How are sales?

"Can't be better ;)"

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Can it be worse?

160k is only impressive if you hate Larien and have no expecattions for them. Youa re liek the morans on the Obsidian boards who say they would be 'happy' if PE reached 100k sales. LMFAO

1mil. oR. GTFO

Jade Empires nearly 2mil copies in less than a year = not enoguh for a sequel but 1mil sales over a lifetime next DD 1000 games in the same series. HAHAHAHA!

People with low expecations are losers. And, i should know since I ahev low expectations for myself and for the Codex. :)

Weasel
Yes, the 160k figure is way out of date now. And a publisher isn't claiming most of the revenues on this one.

Darkzone

Arcane
I think that their sale numbers are in the goldilocks zone. If they would be too high then Larian might lose the ground under their feet, and they would drift away. If they would been too low then they would have already closed their doors. So if they sell the 303k - 402k till the beginning of august it is perfect.

The sale numbers of Divine Divinity and Divinity 2 are not important, because they didn't get the whole possible revenue out of this games. But D:OS is important for Larian and for this kind of RPGs, and should PE also this good or even better, then a good basis (influx of young consumers) for future RPGs (of this kind) is laid.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Volourn, I gotta ask, what do you have against these guys and games like Divinity?
Why are you not happy that a game like this was made and is doing well enough to keep the company afloat?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
The editor is not intuitive and easy to use enough to ever compare to NWN. It has way too many developer quirks.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Volourn, I gotta ask, what do you have against these guys and games like Divinity?"

Have you not read the D:OS thread in TPG Forum? I like the damn gam. Even the original DD won me over after me initially loathing it when I retried it last year. FFS

Sorry, if I'm not going gag over 160k sales for a game that was pimped and is the 100th game in a series. 1mil sales or GTFO.

"He's afraid a new modding community may yet surpass the best game ever, NwN."

That's impossible. Why would I be afraid of an impossibility?

Raapys

Arcane
It's not about the sales though. The previous games were made with publishers who took the vast majority of profits. This time it's all Larian(-30% to Steam). And they don't need to make ridiculous amounts, they just need to make $5mill profit or so, enough to fund another game of this scale without risking the entire company. Heck, for the next game they'll even have an excellent engine to work with, so it'll be much cheaper in that regard.

jdinatale

Cipher
I think that their sale numbers are in the goldilocks zone. If they would be too high then Larian might lose the ground under their feet, and they would drift away.

Uh what? I have no idea what you mean by that statement. How could sales possibly be too high for Larian? That makes no sense.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
I think that their sale numbers are in the goldilocks zone. If they would be too high then Larian might lose the ground under their feet, and they would drift away.

Uh what? I have no idea what you mean by that statement. How could sales possibly be too high for Larian? That makes no sense.
bethesda, bioware, molyneux, garriot. give a dev too much money and they'll start pumping out shit. the best games come from having a good idea and trying to fit it within some constraints that force the developers to focus on what they think are the most important parts. remove those constraints and they'll end up focusing on target demographics instead (bioware) or make unfocused bloated crap like amalur.

jdinatale

Cipher

bethesda, bioware, molyneux, garriot. give a dev too much money and they'll start pumping out shit. the best games come from having a good idea and trying to fit it within some constraints that force the developers to focus on what they think are the most important parts. remove those constraints and they'll end up focusing on target demographics instead (bioware) or make unfocused bloated crap like amalur.

I think Larian has integrity though. If Divinity sells 500k to a million, I think it would just reinforce their thought that gamers want this type of game, and they would produce more of them.

I highly doubt they would go from D:OS back to a Divinity II type ARPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom