Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin has sold 160,000 copies, already approaching profitability

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
"Here, the success of D:OS is so obvious,"

D:OS = 160K sales = AMAZING USCCESS THAT PROVES ITS POPULARITY

DA2 = 2M+ SALES = PROOF HOW MUCH GAME IS AHTED BY EVERYONE!

HAHA! Low standards and all that. :P

"A left-field success from a studio like Larian has more chance of making people sit up and say, shit maybe there is a market for that stuff."

Are you kidding? Larien is not some rinky dinky stuido? This is what their 6th game in this series? Theya ren't that small unless your defintion of 'small' is 'smaller than blizzard' which is a silly standard.

How much copies did their other games sell in comparison?
Yep. D:OS is popular. DA2 is liked by degenerade retards only.
DkHZqio.png

R6Gqn96.png

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Volourn, Larian is a small studio, relative not only to Blizzard, but pretty much any "AAA" developer. It's not easy to know exactly, but I wouldn't be surprised if they have less than 30 employees (LinkedIn says less than 50). AAA developers number over 100 usually. On the other hand, they're one of the largest developers capable of self-funding their projects, currently - the largest is probably Chris Roberts' Cloud Imperium Games, but that's a bit of a special case.

PowerTorment

Io-Interactive
Patron
Developer
Volourn, Larian is a small studio, relative not only to Blizzard, but pretty much any "AAA" developer. It's not easy to know exactly, but I wouldn't be surprised if they have less than 30 employees (LinkedIn says less than 50). AAA developers number over 100 usually. On the other hand, they're one of the largest developers capable of self-funding their projects, currently - the largest is probably Chris Roberts' Cloud Imperium Games, but that's a bit of a special case.

I believe I read that they have ~40 employees.

Xeon

Augur
In the interview Crooked Bee posted in the DOS thread, David (ForkTong) said they have between 35 to 40 employees and they are the largest in Belgium.

Edit:
Podcast, sorry!

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin
"Here, the success of D:OS is so obvious,"

D:OS = 160K sales = AMAZING USCCESS THAT PROVES ITS POPULARITY

DA2 = 2M+ SALES = PROOF HOW MUCH GAME IS AHTED BY EVERYONE!

HAHA! Low standards and all that. :P

"A left-field success from a studio like Larian has more chance of making people sit up and say, shit maybe there is a market for that stuff."

Are you kidding? Larien is not some rinky dinky stuido? This is what their 6th game in this series? Theya ren't that small unless your defintion of 'small' is 'smaller than blizzard' which is a silly standard.

How much copies did their other games sell in comparison?

That's a very apt comparison because those games were made with the exact same budget.

Dumbfuck

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Still #1 on Steam... wow, I continue to be shocked and amazed (as well as very happy for Larian and the :incline: in general). I really hope this catches the attention of game makers & publishers but until actual sales numbers are know it's just wishful thinking.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
It's also going to pave the way for Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity sales later this year. People new to this area of the market may consider those after having bought D:OS.

Darkzone

Arcane
It's also going to pave the way for Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity sales later this year. People new to this area of the market may consider those after having bought D:OS.
Yes definitely it could do it for Wasteland 2. But Wasteland 2 could be a problematic child. At least in its current state.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Yes definitely it could do it for Wasteland 2. But Wasteland 2 could be a problematic child. At least in its current state.

Thing that worries me most is D:OS paving the way for WL2 which then in turn prevents people from touching T:ToN. Because if I didn't know any better and I played WL2 (unless the final release is a MASSIVE improvement, which I doubt) I'd probably stay away from the company responsible.

Martius

Liturgist
Its great that game is still selling but maybe its just effect of cucumber season. Watch Dogs was last big release and there wont be another one until autumn. Well I guess that could just mean more money for Larian which is good thing.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Yeah, they managed to please the mainstream crowd without alienating the core arpeegee folks. Larian just won the game, I wonder how PE will compare

Arkeus

Arcane
[

Thing that worries me most is D:OS paving the way for WL2 which then in turn prevents people from touching T:ToN. Because if I didn't know any better and I played WL2 (unless the final release is a MASSIVE improvement, which I doubt) I'd probably stay away from the company responsible.
Optimism is a beautiful thing.

jdinatale

Cipher
I don't understand why people trusted InXile to even make Wasteland 2 or Torment. Their resume up to Wasteland 2 was:

The Bard's Tale, Fantastic Contraption Super Stacker, Hunted: The Demon's Forge, and Choplifter HD

There is literally nothing that would suggest that they have what it takes to develop the follow ups to two of the most beloved RPG's.

And before you say "Brian Fargo", just remember that he hasn't made anything relevant in 15 years.

At least Obsidian has Josh E. Sawyer, and the studio itself has made Fallout: New Vegas, KoToR II, and Mask of the Betrayer in the past several years.

When Wasteland 2 blows, just remember the company that's making it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom