Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin has sold 160,000 copies, already approaching profitability

Shannow

Waster of Time
And I seriously though the RPG Codex couldn't surprise me more, then I read this page... seriously. You don't want RPG's to sell well? You want the genre to stay dead (or mutilated like modern BW-games)? What are you doing here then?
I wanted to write: "Please quote the people who said that they do not want Div:OS to sell well. (Before your post.)"
But then I saw that you wrote "RPGs" and didn't mean Divinity specifically. If you haven't noticed that many on the codex do not want certain "RPGs" to sell well, then you haven't read any of the Bethesda/Bioware threads.

Zeriel

Arcane
- Industry has noticed the game's success; Swen has had offers to buy Larian

This is like that thing I was talking about in the Civ: Beyond Earth thread. Gaming publishers are such idiots when it comes to basic business sense. They will never in a million years invest the trivial peanut money it would take to create games like this and rake in those sweet niche profits, but the moment someone else does, they're all over trying to buy it up. And then if they succeed in buying it up, they'll just run it into the ground with mismanagement. If it weren't so sad, it'd be hysterically funny.

Shit, count me in the club of people NOT wanting DOS to became a HUGE success.
Haba You were right bro

You really shouldn't take Roguey so seriously. His whole schtick is twisting shit around until it barely resembles the original thing that was said. Also, the whole Divinity anthology thing was written when Swen was probably convinced by the industry that turn-based shit had little chance of succeeding.

It's just a guess, but I get the feeling that Swen and Larian are vaguely agnostic to specific combat systems like turn-based or real-time overall, and more focused on certain characteristics like non-linear worlds, high interaction, et cetera. That doesn't mean their perfect RPG would necessarily be Dragon Age: Silly Town, though.

Last edited:

himmy

Arcane
If they're smart, they'll make both. After all, they've shown that they don't need a publisher-backed budget for D:OS. So why not make another D:OS with a similar budget, while putting money into a new action-rpg?

To be fair, I haven't really seen a franchise dealt with in the same way Larian did with Divinity. Outside of maybe Beyond Divinity (which most people don't mention anyway), every other game (DD, D2, DC and D:OS) has had very different styles of gameplay. Although Swen said that D:OS is the game they have been waiting since Cambrian to make or whatever, I doubt they will start milking the Original Sin 2, 3, 2016 thing and, instead, will probably pull some crazy shit again.

Unless they really manage to get that franchise they were talking about or otherwise want to move away from Divinity for a bit.

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
Yeah, that's a fair point. Dragon Commander was pretty much Swen deciding he wanted 4 different games in one. Even if a publisher bought them up and told them to make Dragon Age 5: The Weresheepening, Larian's result would probably be hella idiosyncratic and weird. I don't think we have to worry about them becoming another Bethesda/Bioware, for better or worse.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014

This is like that thing I was talking about in the Civ: Beyond Earth thread. Gaming publishers are such idiots when it comes to basic business sense. They will never in a million years invest the trivial peanut money it would take to create games like this and rake in those sweet niche profits, but the moment someone else does, they're all over trying to buy it up. And then if they succeed in buying it up, they'll just run it into the ground with mismanagement. If it weren't so sad, it'd be hysterically funny.

I think there's a saying that you should never attribute to conspiracy what incompetence explains nicely, but I think publishers buying studios might be about removing potential competitors.

If anyone wanted a chunk of the hiking simulator market that Bethesda has a monopoly on, then Obsidian would be one of the few studios that rival publishers could go to because of their experience with FNV. It explains why Bethesda wanted to buy them, and it might explain the Bethesda assisted crisis when they refused.

Darkzone

Arcane
SuicideBunny and Spectacle
Thank you SuicideBunny and Spectacle for the answers you have given in more or less our common thoughts. This answers are a good short abstraction for one kind of trap, but there are a lot more of this kind. You both know, that if i could, i would brofist your statements.

@jintale
It is not about Larian's integrity that nobody here would question, it is about a lot more economic things. There are many traps that could lead the current development of Larian, in a different direction. And despite Swens honest statement about the interwoven development between Larian and the backers/community (what InXile is talking about, Larian has achieved), this things are sadly easily forgotten, and if not then a too large community would put the median, in a different position. Larian is now in an incredible position, it can change many things to the positive, at least in this nishe. But this requires a even stronger bond between Larian and its targeted audience, and this requires more time and products from Larian, but at the same time the need for the thought: we need the community for a better the development of a better game. And this would be also in danger if Larian gets too much money in a short period of time. I'm one of the candidates, that wishes Larian the success, but all in its time. And i want them to be like a coal fire that burns bright and long, and not a hay fire which burns very bright but short.
They were "werken zeven dagen lang", now we can "drinken zeven dagen lang", but Larian should not forgot that "dus vechten we samen, niet alleen".

90k within 14 days are not bad, making an average 6k-7k for a day.
The 3 Million + 1 Million KS do not add up in a certain way. Swens own estimates for 200k euros for 1 month of work would suggest that this was made within 16-20 months. The time between the Kickstarter D:OS, the release of DC and release of D:OS is over 12 months.
The 4-8 would be 8-16 months for half of the crue to create the engine, the art, the assets and the working alpha before the Kickstarter. And this is preaty small timescale, for all this, even if half of the engine costs are attributed to DC.
The 2 Million + 1 Million KS would be even more ??? This covers only around the last year of the development of D:OS. Perhaps he counts the previous costs on the DC account.

Belgian newspaper just posted an article with more recent numbers: http://www.demorgen.be/dm/nl/5402/G.../2014/07/16/Is-dit-de-game-van-het-jaar.dhtml

Quick translation of important bits:

- Sold a quarter of a million units.
- Sales curve is still rising because of word of mouth
- Production budget was 3 million euros, a third of which was made up by crowdsourcing
- They broke even
- They don't know yet what they are going to do yet for their next project, first a holiday

Small correction: according to Swen they more than broke even (..."meer dan terugverdiend"...)

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
How can you be more than broke as a developer? An investor would demand 100% ownership, and a bank wouldn't touch you.

Unless some government grant was keeping them alive?

Drowed

Arcane
Please tell me one good thing that came of something becoming super popular and selling really well.

Are we forgetting here that in all previous cases we had one publisher involved in the 'decline' of any company/game? If this is not the case right now (and for what Vincke has said, it is), we would have an unprecedented situation. A good company, (hopefully) with money, without a publisher meddling, that is saying that it has an interest in making "niche" games. I don't really know any other similar situation so that we could compare.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
^ Unfortunately that will yield... Dragon Commander the X-rated version.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"- Sold a quarter of a million units.
- Sales curve is still rising because of word of mouth"

Your math is weird.

160k in first 3 days.

90k in next 11 days (game has been out for a couple of weeks, right?)

So.. how is the sales curve 'rising'?

himmy

Arcane

Your math is weird.

160k in first 3 days.

Probably because the 160k included the EA as well.

JasonNH

Augur

Your math is weird.

160k in first 3 days.

I thought the 160k number was the total that they had sold at that point, including KS and early access. So it wasn't 160k in three days, rather a total of 160k three days after the release.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
How can you be more than broke as a developer? An investor would demand 100% ownership, and a bank wouldn't touch you.

Unless some government grant was keeping them alive?
More than broke even, aka made a profit.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm a writer on the internet.

I'm a writer on the Internet!

i-am-spartacus-o.gif

set

Cipher
I have never understood the profitability of vidya games. Allegedly, VTMB only needed to sell 100k copies to be profitable, less than half that if they hadn't partnered with EA?

Because DOS is self-published the margin for profitability is much higher but actual sales figures are lower because lolnomarketing.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
- They don't know yet what they are going to do yet for their next project, first a holiday

Damn. But they do deserve a good time off. :salute:

Then they can get to work on The Isle of Serpents Expansion pack.... :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom