Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin has sold 160,000 copies, already approaching profitability

Black

Arcane
Faggots, ignoring that slut is only good if you don't respond to it.

Loriac

Arcane
This game will have a far bigger impact on whether or not mainstream publishers decide to venture back into 'classic' rpgs than stuff like PoE for the simple reason that there are no excuses why this has done so well
You do realize that the 'PoE = decline' sentiment only exists on the Codex, right? I wouldn't be surprised if D:OS actually has more mass market appeal than PoE simply by virtue of its 3d graphics and somewhat WoW-esque aesthetic.

I'm not sure if you misunderstand my point: an executive at a publishing house say could laugh off the success of kickstarters like Wasteland 2 or PoE purely on the basis that they represent one-off uses of the legacy 'brand'. It doesn't put any pressure on them to justify why they're not doing anything in the RPG space, no matter how successful those games are.

A left-field success from a studio like Larian has more chance of making people sit up and say, shit maybe there is a market for that stuff.

Or possibly I'm being overly optimistic.

Athelas

Arcane
This game will have a far bigger impact on whether or not mainstream publishers decide to venture back into 'classic' rpgs than stuff like PoE for the simple reason that there are no excuses why this has done so well
You do realize that the 'PoE = decline' sentiment only exists on the Codex, right? I wouldn't be surprised if D:OS actually has more mass market appeal than PoE simply by virtue of its 3d graphics and somewhat WoW-esque aesthetic.

I'm not sure if you misunderstand my point: an executive at a publishing house say could laugh off the success of kickstarters like Wasteland 2 or PoE purely on the basis that they represent one-off uses of the legacy 'brand'. It doesn't put any pressure on them to justify why they're not doing anything in the RPG space, no matter how successful those games are.

A left-field success from a studio like Larian has more chance of making people sit up and say, shit maybe there is a market for that stuff.
That's certainly debatable. A publisher could look at the success of D:Os and draw the wrong conclusions. (Kotaku for example described D:OS as 'Diablo with branching dialogue trees and non-combat skills'.) Kinda like how every AAA developer nowadays is copying the open world format without really putting any critical thought into what an open world means for gameplay.

Arkeus

Arcane
The codex loves PoE. That people bitch about Sawyer from time to time doesn't change that the codex is /invested/ in knowing pretty much every little details about D:OS.

It will change if it's a disappointing game, but PoE hasn't been labelled as Decline on the Codex yet.

22,040 Peak Today, pretty decent on the day another game is rather big on the telly today (congrats Germany)

(Waiting for Linux version, which I guess will be more likely after success on Windows :) )

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Still hasn't beaten Shadowrun Returns's peak nor will it. :P
Sadly, that's probably the case. Although I wouldn't consider 22k a low figure compared to 31.5k for GayZ.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Still hasn't beaten Shadowrun Returns's peak nor will it. :P
Sadly, that's probably the case. Although I wouldn't consider 22k a low figure compared to 31.5k for GayZ.

It doesn't really have to, though. There's a difference between the # of peak players and copies sold, or for that matter # of players on average, which roguey - being a PoE troll - just doesn't want to take into account.

Roguey is also a p. experienced troll, since as a result we're all arguing stuff like peak players or even the game's position on Steam's top seller list, which doesn't actually matter in the slightest. :M

Makagulfazel

Educated
Larian Studios will never garner a respectable concurrent player total if they continue to cater to racist scum

1024x576.resizedimage

I am done with this game until they remove whiteface. I'm with you Roguey; this game is appalling.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Shouldn't the fact that D:OS can be played without Steam running also be considered? Could Shadowrun also run without Steam?

Yes. Shadowrun has a GOG DRM free version (for backers only).
I guess I meant the Steam version can be run outside of the Steam client, correct?
Originally I think Shadowrun was locked to Steam period (aside from a backer exclusive version) due to an agreement with the rights holders until they worked something out to be put on GOG. I do remember Shadowrun's daily users dropping like flies soon after but that's most games on Steam after release. D:OS is the first I've heard or seen where the users are growing so long after release.

jdinatale

Cipher
In just a couple of hours, this game will have been the best seller for 2 weeks in a row! Could it have possibly sold 500k copies?

Ramireza

Savant
Shouldn't the fact that D:OS can be played without Steam running also be considered? Could Shadowrun also run without Steam?

No, Shadworun cant be startet without steam. DoS COULD.

Its pretty obvious that DoS will have more success then Shadowrun. Everyone and his Mother talking about this game, even my 17 year cousin bought the game ("Looks like Diablo3!"). A friend of mine bought it because "Its #1 at steam!", and he never played an cRPG before.

I never saw such a hype for an (Isometric) cRPG in the last 10 years...

(Needless to say that my cousin nor my friend will not finish DoS, because they expecting something completly different. Let his Game looks like DOTA/LOL/Diablo 3 was a brilliant move from Larian.)

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You and all the people who brofisted should be ashamed. It's a glorified iOS game. Although, yes, that's a funny image.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
SRR's all time peak is suspiciously high. Usually you can use the rule of thumb that peak players is 1/10 of sale, but I'm not sure you can use that with SRR. That super high early peak makes me think a lot of backers curious to see how the first million+ kickstarter looked all played it on the first day.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I think Shittyruns benefited from being the first (or perhaps I'm mistaken) of these KS turn-based RPGs to make it through production.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think Shittyruns benefited from being the first (or perhaps I'm mistaken) of these KS turn-based RPGs to make it through production.
Expeditions Conquistador beat it by about a month, but SRR was the first one with a "big" ks (1 million or more budget).

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Here, the success of D:OS is so obvious,"

D:OS = 160K sales = AMAZING USCCESS THAT PROVES ITS POPULARITY

DA2 = 2M+ SALES = PROOF HOW MUCH GAME IS AHTED BY EVERYONE!

HAHA! Low standards and all that. :P

"A left-field success from a studio like Larian has more chance of making people sit up and say, shit maybe there is a market for that stuff."

Are you kidding? Larien is not some rinky dinky stuido? This is what their 6th game in this series? Theya ren't that small unless your defintion of 'small' is 'smaller than blizzard' which is a silly standard.

How much copies did their other games sell in comparison?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom