Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Devil May Cry 5

Develop some combos to get enemies into the air and keep them there for a while. Obviously depends on what you prefer to use. Trickster is very important to keep wherever your enemy is.

In terms of weapons I switch to the gauntlets and spam real impact for maximum damage whenever something is isolated. Overdrive with rebellion is also good when you have a bit of distance. I alternate between stinger and gun stinger with the shotgun and otherwise use the shotgun a lot for damage/stunning/positioning. On the ground try to stay in swordmaster mode since it tends to give the more powerful moves but be on the ball about switching to trickster or royal guard for defense depending on your preference.

Use either DT or sin DT a lot, you get a lot of it when you have high style. DT can be turned on and off a lot to save it for powerful moves.

Don't really have more detailed tips since its been a while since I've played. I'm not an expert and certain enemies I had no idea how to handle without just getting lucky and getting to the next checkpoint (Mostly fights with the ninja dudes with sword arms who teleport, fuck em).

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
if you buy Virgil DLC, do you still have to play as Emo summoner? that prob killed my desire to replay DMC5 after I finished it

Anonona

Learned
if you buy Virgil DLC, do you still have to play as Emo summoner? that prob killed my desire to replay DMC5 after I finished it
Kind of. The main campaign is the same, no changes there, but in Vergil's campaign you only play as him while going through the same levels as the others.

Wunderbar

Arcane
I don't see the point in remaking DMC games. Their main selling point is the battle engine, and in this regard each new game barring DMC2 has been improving upon its predecessors.

If Capcom remakes DMC1 with combat and pacing being closer to DMC5, then it will be a complete destruction of DMC1's identity. If they keep the original slow exploration and combat intact, then there would be zero point in this remake - you may as well just play the original. If they try to refine DMC1's original slow style of gameplay where you explore castle like it's a "Resident Evil with swords", then the new fans aren't going to be happy since they expected a brisk action game where you dash from one encounter to another. And if they try to improve and innovate on the modern DMC formula, then why waste all this effort on a remake when you could've done the same while building the potential DMC6?

Ivan

Arcane
$

DMC5 is absurdly pretty. I'm sure its looks alone and branding will = ez $

I hear/feel ya on the gameplay front. I'm just dreaming of a DMC3 w/ 5's fidelity

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Re-playing the game on DMD

This mod
With the "Instant Enemy DT" + "Player Damage Multiplier = x4" + "Turbo Mode" = perfect difficulty level

20210827160449-1.jpg
20210827164011-1.jpg

20230716213659-1.jpg
20230716221902-1.jpg

Ezekiel

Arcane
I thought I said this somewhere, but can't find my post. Is it the Codex just having a crappy search or am I imagining it? Anyway, about Dante...

They just smashed together everything, mechanics that worked well on their own but became a clusterfuck as they built on top of what was already there instead of redoing him. But fans expect the same thing from a sequel. Would have been nice if the player could pick and choose abilities from the different styles and then assign them to buttons other than mainly just Circle/B, so that they wouldn't have to switch styles at all. I would consider getting a controller with back pedals. I find cycling between four melee weapons and four projectile weapons clumsy. I know you don't have to have all the weapons on you, that you can carry just two for melee and two for projectiles, but it feels limiting. If I could have picked and chosen and have a mashup of styles in a single one, I would have just mapped the melee weapons to the D-pad, freeing up the triggers for other actions. Yes, that would have limited your projectile weapons, but I don't need so many projectile weapons in a hack and slash. His tools are mostly kind of lame, whether I'm sucking at the game myself or watching videos.

It's a combat system made for sequelitis morons who want everything and have no taste for balance, who want to press more buttons to do the same things, and are so protective of what is comfortable to them that they don't even want to think of reinvention. For a game about style, Dante has none anymore, carrying a refrigerator of idiotic weapons.

Last edited:

Tehdagah

Arcane
I thought I said this somewhere, but can't find my post. Is it the Codex just having a crappy search or am I imagining it? Anyway, about Dante...

They just smashed together everything, mechanics that worked well on their own but became a clusterfuck as they built on top of what was already there instead of redoing him. But fans expect the same thing from a sequel. Would have been nice if the player could pick and choose abilities from the different styles and then assign them to buttons other than mainly just Circle/B, so that they wouldn't have to switch styles at all. I would consider getting a controller with back pedals. I find cycling between four melee weapons and four projectile weapons clumsy. I know you don't have to have all the weapons on you, that you can carry just two for melee and two for projectiles, but it feels limiting. If I could have picked and chosen and have a mashup of styles in a single one, I would have just mapped the melee weapons to the D-pad, freeing up the triggers for other actions. Yes, that would have limited your projectile weapons, but I don't need so many projectile weapons in a hack and slash. His tools are mostly kind of lame, whether I'm sucking at the game myself or watching videos.

It's a combat system made for sequelitis morons who want everything and have no taste for balance, who want to press more buttons to do the same things, and are so protective of what is comfortable to them that they don't even want to think of reinvention. For a game about style, Dante has none anymore, carrying a refrigerator of idiotic weapons.
Yes, having to switch styles on the d-pad to be able to do something as basic as dodging is awful. DmC had much better controls, DMC5 was a step backwards (just like the level design, the camera, the platforming, etc)

Silverfish

Arbiter
And gameplay-wise dmc1 doesn't do anything great,

One of DMC1's bosses alternates between two forms, one of which can absorb Dante into another realm, forcing you to fight one of the previous bosses to escape, which in turn damages the primary boss. One of DMC4's bosses is a window.

Ezekiel

Arcane
git gud
or go play DmC it seems more your speed
"Balance"
lol
Dante is designed to be stupidly OP once you master his entire moveset
I just realized that you didn't understand what I said. I was talking about balance in controls, not balance in difficulty. "No taste for balance" meaning pressing more buttons to do the same thing because everything is artlessly smashed together. Like stacking more shit on top of old foundation rather than demolishing and constructing a better building from scratch.

Last edited:

Reever

Scholar
Patron
One of DMC1's bosses alternates between two forms, one of which can absorb Dante into another realm, forcing you to fight one of the previous bosses to escape, which in turn damages the primary boss.
And the other form is switching some lights and hitting an orb over and over again.

Silverfish

Arbiter
And the other form is switching some lights and hitting an orb over and over again.

Yes, while dodging homing missiles, machine guns, a kamehameha-sized laser and a man-sized boomerang. Also the orbs can drain the devil trigger gauge. Paid members aren't sending their best.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
One of DMC1's bosses alternates between two forms, one of which can absorb Dante into another realm, forcing you to fight one of the previous bosses to escape
Saying the best thing about a boss is that he makes you fight other cooler bosses isn't exactly a compliment
Regradles Nightmare would've been fine as a 1-off fight, but 3 fucking times is just insulting
One of DMC4's bosses is a window.
And another is Credo who happens to be one the best bosses fights in videogame history

I was talking about balance in controls, not balance in difficulty.
Limiting Dante moveset to allow simpler controls is dumbing down
The character is purposely made to be a "jack of all trades, master of all" and learning that moveset is the main challenge and fun

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom