Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Devil May Cry 5

Silverfish

Arbiter
"I never played the game, but let me tell you all about it"

Which I've clearly done a good job of since I've never been debunked.

Motherfucker, WHERE does this happen in games in this genre? WHERE do you have common mobs that are equally complex as your main character? Fucking WHERE? DMC 1? Get absolutely fucked in the ass, that's not even remotely close to being true.

DMC1, Ninja Gaiden & Shinobi would all qualify. Rygar, Lament of Innocence and Killer is Dead would as well, but with the gigantic caveat that the player characters are pretty simplistic in those games as well. Which is fine, it's the more level playing field that I want anyway. Complex vs complex or simple vs simple are both cool. If the game has to be imbalanced, then I prefer it to fall on the side of the enemies over the player.

DMC is too shallow, but "wHAt iS WroNG wiTh COWAADUTY :{{{{{{ "

So you don't know and I was right that you couldn't tell me.

So you admit you're arguing in bad faith and ignoring sensible opposing arguments

I'm arguing in bad faith because no one has presented sensible arguments. When "I think the enemies in the game should be more complicated to match the protagonist" gets met with "they get stat boosts on higher difficulties and you just want to button mash anyway, in fact you probably don't even like the genre", you can't take the debate too seriously. Funny enough, this discussion has actually done a pretty good job of replicating what's wrong with the series nowadays. Lambach is very simply overmatched.

Silverfish

Arbiter
TFW you come back from a good night's sleep and a vigorous early morning constitutional and see that you remain uncontested.

hqdefault.jpg

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Motherfucker, WHERE does this happen in games in this genre? WHERE do you have common mobs that are equally complex as your main character? Fucking WHERE? DMC 1? Get absolutely fucked in the ass, that's not even remotely close to being true.
Ninja Gaiden ... would ... qualify.
No it wouldn't
And you haven't played the game if you say otherwise

I'm arguing in bad faith because no one has presented sensible arguments.
you-dmc.png

Last edited:

Silverfish

Arbiter
"I got filtered by DMC 3, that means I won!"

OK, cuck. :smug:

So filtered that I've played the game multiple times and clearly know more about it than you. I know it's frustrating when a more knowledgeable person with abilities that surpass your own doesn't like the game that you like, but I think you'll manage. Keep plugging away at it and one day you'll work your way up to more respectable takes.

I'm arguing in bad faith because no one has presented sensible arguments.
you-dmc.png

I agree that I'm a suitable replacement for a crown.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Dante is a mess. No, I'm not getting good. They just smashed together everything, mechanics that worked well on their own but became a clusterfuck as they built on top of what was already there instead of redoing him. But fans expect the same thing from a sequel. Would have been nice if the player could pick and choose abilities from the different styles and then assign them to buttons other than mainly just Circle/B, so that they wouldn't have to switch styles at all. I would consider getting a controller with back pedals. I find cycling between four melee weapons and four projectile weapons clumsy. I know you don't have to have all the weapons on you, that you can carry just two for melee and two for projectiles, but it feels limiting. If I could have picked and chosen and have a mashup of styles in a single one, I would have just mapped the melee weapons to the D-pad, freeing up the triggers for other actions. Yes, that would have limited your projectile weapons, but I don't need so many projectile weapons in a hack and slash. His tools are mostly kind of lame, whether I'm sucking at the game myself or watching videos.

Steam says that the day I posted this was the last day I played the game. Only 20.5 hours. Will probably install it again. But this game was a failure. I put so many hours into Devil May Cry 3 as a kid. Multiple playable characters in only twenty missions hurts this series so much. The style is mostly gone; would barely even call it gothic anymore.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Also sucks that they keep using Lady and Trish over and over, who are relegated to the background since their original appearances anyway. Series needs new babes. No, the nerd in the van wasn't it. She wasn't a fighter or real player in the story, was more like the merchant in RE4, barely there. Lady's new costume is even gayer than Dante's was in 4 with the whole awful cowboy motif.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Also sucks that they keep using Lady and Trish over and over, who are relegated to the background since their original appearances anyway. Series needs new babes. No, the nerd in the van wasn't it. She wasn't a fighter or real player in the story, was more like the merchant in RE4, barely there. Lady's new costume is even gayer than Dante's was in 4 with the whole awful cowboy motif.
They need to bring back Lucia from DMC2.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Dante is a mess. No, I'm not getting good. They just smashed together everything, mechanics that worked well on their own but became a clusterfuck as they built on top of what was already there instead of redoing him. But fans expect the same thing from a sequel. Would have been nice if the player could pick and choose abilities from the different styles and then assign them to buttons other than mainly just Circle/B, so that they wouldn't have to switch styles at all. I would consider getting a controller with back pedals. I find cycling between four melee weapons and four projectile weapons clumsy. I know you don't have to have all the weapons on you, that you can carry just two for melee and two for projectiles, but it feels limiting. If I could have picked and chosen and have a mashup of styles in a single one, I would have just mapped the melee weapons to the D-pad, freeing up the triggers for other actions. Yes, that would have limited your projectile weapons, but I don't need so many projectile weapons in a hack and slash. His tools are mostly kind of lame, whether I'm sucking at the game myself or watching videos.

Steam says that the day I posted this was the last day I played the game. Only 20.5 hours. Will probably install it again. But this game was a failure. I put so many hours into Devil May Cry 3 as a kid. Multiple playable characters in only twenty missions hurts this series so much. The style is mostly gone; would barely even call it gothic anymore.
You are obviously a "modern" gamer now. So that's that I guess, better get on twitter. Your suggestions will make DMC less of DMC. This is like complaining Morrowind needs a shittier magic system, because you can't be arsed enough to pay attention and learn.

Personally for me the systems on DmC are easier to use and play with, but the whole reason my DMC5 playtime is quadruple that is because it has so many systems to master that give the game depth, that's what the fun is. That's why the series is special, because it doesn't cater to you wankers who want shallow garbage.

Here's a Dante combo video.

The game has sold 7.2 mil, Capcom's 11th best selling game of all time. I think it succeeded where it mattered.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

You are obviously a "modern" gamer now. So that's that I guess, better get on twitter. Your suggestions will make DMC less of DMC. This is like complaining Morrowind needs a shittier magic system, because you can't be arsed enough to pay attention and learn.

Personally for me the systems on DmC are easier to use and play with, but the whole reason my DMC5 playtime is quadruple that is because it has so many systems to master that give the game depth, that's what the fun is. That's why the series is special, because it doesn't cater to you wankers who want shallow garbage.

The game has sold 7.2 mil, Capcom's 11th best selling game of all time. I think it succeeded where it mattered.

It's great to show all the combos when you can do it in The Void. When it comes to actually playing the game, then that all falls apart because there are more than 1 enemy and the enemies are actually attacking, especially in Dante Must Die mode and HoH mode. V is also not fun to play with and neither is Nero(to an extent). Dante is fun, but Devil May Cry peaked at 3 and hasn't been really good since then.

That is why we have Bayonetta 1 and 2.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
It's great to show all the combos when you can do it in The Void. When it comes to actually playing the game, then that all falls apart because there are more than 1 enemy and the enemies are actually attacking, especially in Dante Must Die mode and HoH mode.
Only if you suck
V is also not fun to play with and neither is Nero
Says you
Devil May Cry peaked at 3
Objectively worse enemy design
Objectively worse bosses
Objectively worse weapons
Less mechanical depth

Yet somehow, in your mind it's a better hack 'n' slash

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
That's why the series is special, because it doesn't cater to you wankers who want shallow garbage.

Yeah, I can't think of anything more shallow or casual in an action game than... customizing skills and loadouts.
Yes, because less options during gameplay. This is like selectable supers in fighting games, instead of having 2 different ones with different inputs which you can choose acc. to context, you get 1 because it's less options to think about during gameplay.

Ezekiel

Arcane

Everything and the kitchen sink in that video, but not much style. Devil May Cry 3 had it. Ever since then, Dante's weapons have been too stupid. I'm not that impressed by quantity. Would rather watch some Streets of Rage skill video. Far fewer abilities, but tastefully balanced and mapped to the controller in a way that's efficient. Streets kept my attention in part by letting me play as the same hero through the whole story and not having fucking 2 hours and 13 minutes of cutscenes. I got S ranks on all of Street 4's hard levels. When I was young, I did go through Bloody Palace in 3 and do all the challenges and play Dante Must Die over and over. But 4 and 5 are just not good. I'm stunned the guy above thinks Devil May Cry 5 has better bosses. Mechanically, I'm not sure. But they're blander visually and musically.

Maybe I should give Bayonetta another go. I remember dropping it because the game seemed too determined to give me a boner and that's not what I play videogames for, damn it. But it's also true that there ain't that much to choose from in this genre.

Well now you are being an annoying retard. Hate people who do this crap. You picked a single gimmick fight in the game that everyone agrees is the weakest one and now you're gonna act like you proved a point about general quality of boss fights.

And by the way, do tell us how DMCV Gilgamesh fight is worse than this garbage:

At least with Gilgamesh fight you get some spectacle out of it.

Last edited:

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Maybe I should give Bayonetta another go. I remember dropping it because the game seemed too determined to give me a boner and that's not what I play videogames for, damn it. But it's also true that there ain't that much to choose from in this genre.
You should give Soulstice ago. It's like a mix between Berserk and Claymore's lore and style. Combat is nothing special but not bad at all.

You should give Soulstice ago. It's like a mix between Berserk and Claymore's lore and style. Combat is nothing special but not bad at all.

I lost any interest in that when I found out it has color coded enemies. And now you're saying combat isn't great either. So maybe no, I shouldn't give it a go.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
but not much style
say you
Devil May Cry 3 had it.
DMC3 type of "style" is the same as 5
Ever since then, Dante's weapons have been too stupid.
just because you don't like them conceptually, does not mean they are worse mechanically (which fundamentally is what matters)
Everything and the kitchen sink ... I'm not that impressed by quantity ... but tastefully balanced
Dante was already kitchen in 3
mechanically the point oh his character is to be "jack of all trades, master of all"
I've told you this already
if you don't like this, too bad
go play Streets of Rage
but it is telling that you think dante in 5 isn't balanced

honestly have you even played both dmc3 and dmc5?
mapped to the controller in a way that's efficient.
git gud
not having fucking 2 hours and 13 minutes of cutscenes.

also what horrendous crime
2 hours of skippable cutscenes in my linear 13 hour spectacle action game, totally breaking genre conventions here..
I'm stunned the guy above thinks Devil May Cry 5 has better bosses. Mechanically, I'm not sure.
DMC3 has 3 good bosses
DMC5 has 6 good bosses
furthermore, 5's bad bosses are just boring and forgettable, while 3's are just insulting
But they're blander visually and musically.
says you

Silverfish

Arbiter
And by the way, do tell us how DMCV Gilgamesh fight is worse than this garbage:

Because DMC 5 came out fourteen years later and had the benefit of five prior games (and a ton of Platinum titles) to learn from.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom