Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Devil May Cry 5

Silverfish

Arbiter
No they wouldn't, to the point where the CCP had to ban effeminate male characters in media in an attempt to make their population more manly.

Case in point, DMC is an example of a series that sadly became more popular the less masculine and more flaming it became.

Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected
Most combo autists from that video are chinese though...
:M
They just like the mechanics. If it were up to them they would have made masculine characters.
No they wouldn't, to the point where the CCP had to ban effeminate male characters in media in an attempt to make their population more manly.

https://www.cbr.com/china-ban-lgbtq-stories-effeminate-males/
I see nothing but based in that article

Sentinel

Arcane
this game controls are shit, and ruins the experience. The targeting especially is atrocious, with the fact you have to hold the button to lock in, and you cannot switch target if you are moving, in a game where you are supposed to always move
Gotta agree with the targetting issues. Bayonetta still is the best controlling action game ever made. Dunno why DMC still has so many fucking problems with the janky ass controls.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
this game controls are shit, and ruins the experience. The targeting especially is atrocious, with the fact you have to hold the button to lock in, and you cannot switch target if you are moving, in a game where you are supposed to always move
Gotta agree with the targetting issues. Bayonetta still is the best controlling action game ever made. Dunno why DMC still has so many fucking problems with the janky ass controls.
Man! You wankers blaming the game for your inability to play. DMC is about precision, it needs the lock on and shit. If all you want to do is mash and do some cool shit then yeah Bayonetta is your game.

Last edited:

Alphard

Magister
Man! You wankers blaming the game for your inability to play. DMC is about precision, it needs the lock on and shit. If all you want to do is mash and do some cool shit then yeah Bayonetta is your game.
yes because having to stay still to charge target , while holding a button , unlike 99℅ of action games, is definitely a player issue not a game issue. are you guys from gamefaqs or what?

Sentinel

Arcane
First time I'm seeing anyone disputing the shit controls in DMC. Needing to lock on to simply dodge or pull off any special move is janky as fuck.

DMC isn't about precision, idk wtf you're implying by that.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
having to stay still to charge target , while holding a button
You can change target while moving you know?

Needing to lock on to simply dodge
You can simply jump
And the characters move fast enough that you just walk away

or pull off any special move
DMC isn't about precision
DMC combat is very focused on 1v1
So having to lock-on to perform the more complex moves does indeed make sense

It's almost like you barely played the game...

Alphard

Magister
having to stay still to charge target , while holding a button
You can change target while moving you know?

Needing to lock on to simply dodge
You can simply jump

or pull off any special move
DMC isn't about precision
So having to lock-on to perform the more complex moves does indeed make sense

It's almost like you barely played the game...
how?

Sentinel

Arcane
lol what? 99% of encounters has you outnumbered. The hardest difficulty (the one dmctards argue is the real difficulty) literally increases the number of enemies. Multiple bosses have multiple target points that you can hit.

This doesn't even matter because my original point still stands. Bayonetta 1 does everything DMC does but better. It has way smoother controls & gameplay while executing all of the same concepts.

"game is so braindead that you dont even need to dodge bro"
yeah, nice argument to defend an action game lol.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Press the target button again
Yeah, it's not elegant. But it works... :M

You can simply jump
You'd be amazed how many people don't know that jumps in DMC have i-frames.
That is unfortunately becoming clear to me

lol what?
Just look at the PC's moveset
The more important moves and abilities are mostly meant to modify the positions between player and enemy
And in general the whole system is geared towards fighting a small number of enemies at a time
That's why the Angelo and Vergil+Dante fights are the best combat encounters across the entire series (plus the fact those the enemies that have the greatest amount of reactions to the PC's moveset)
EDIT: oh also, Agni and Rudra

Bayonetta 1 does everything DMC does but better.
Bayo's combat has different intention and priorities to DMC's

So no
It's doesn't do what DMC does but better
It does something different to DMC

"game is so braindead that you dont even need to dodge bro"
yeah, nice argument to defend an action game lol.
:nocountryforshitposters:

Without lock-on the PC's move fast enough that you can get out the way of most attacks
But you also lose the best opportunities to counter-attack and your scoring goes down

There's literally nothing wrong with this
You play it safe, you aren't rewarded
All good action game do this

Silverfish

Arbiter
The more important moves and abilities are mostly meant to modify the positions between player and enemy
And in general the whole system is geared towards fighting a small number of enemies at a time
That's why the Angelo and Vergil+Dante fights are the best combat encounters across the entire series (plus the fact those the enemies that have the greatest amount of reactions to the PC's moveset)

Look at the first game, where DMC's movement and lock-on mechanics were established, as an example. Other than the fodder marionettes, it was rare to ever encounter more than about three enemies at a time. Sentinel has a point about LDK mode, but that's more of a meme difficulty and wasn't even introduced until the pc port of DMC4.

Sentinel

Arcane

Look at the first game, where DMC's movement and lock-on mechanics were established, as an example. Other than the fodder marionettes, it was rare to ever encounter more than about three enemies at a time. Sentinel has a point about LDK mode, but that's more of a meme difficulty and wasn't even introduced until the pc port of DMC4.
My point was about DMC5, not 1. The lock on mechanic & controls made sense in DMC1, they don't make sense in DMC4 or 5, where you're often matched against more than 4-5 enemies. Again, Bayonetta executes the same concepts as DMC5 but a whole lot better since Kamiya isn't afraid of coming up with new ideas instead of copy pasting prequels.

I wouldn't be surprised if the janky controls are the reason enemies are so passive in DMC, whereas in Bayonetta the dodge offset & better controls motivate the developers to design more aggressive enemies.

Anonona

Learned
I'll argue the reason Bayonetta's enemies are more aggresive is simply due to her dodges possessing a high amount of iframes and how powerful her long range capabilities are. In non-stop climax combat revolves mostly about using dodge offset to hurry up Wicked weaves, as regular attacks lack both damage and stun power, while charge attack modifiers allow to damage the enemy at a distance. These factors, coupled with a powerful and spamable dodge allows for the more aggressive enemy design.

Another elements is that Bayonetta's combat system is simpler (which doesn`t mean it is worse, mind you). Dial-up combos, just 2 set of weapons and accessories at a time and a small pool of command actions allows the player to react faster thanks to a small pool of well defined moves, which again allows for faster enemies. DMC 5 in contrast is quite complex, with more varied weapons, a lot of attacks with numerous properties and more resources to manage.

For the most part your tools are designed to stay close and personal and defending your position (parries with weapons, attacks with iframe and/or hyperarmor, Devil Trigger's hyper armor/iframes, Royal Guard, etc), in contrast to Bayo which relies more in dodge offset, and while her parry is quite powerful, you cannot relay too much on it as it distrupt you combos. DMC combat requires more commintment, as you cannot cancel your moves so easily and defending your position requires more mastery, so enemies are designed accordingly.

Finally, while I agree that Bayonetta's lock on system and camera are the best on the genre, I'm surprised of the complaints about DMC 5's lock on, which in my experience works quite well. In fact, for the most part is better to play locking off and on as required in both games, which allows a higher deegre of control, and also making use of the "soft" lock-on more, similar to how you play Ninja Gaiden.

Replaying this on SOS before I go into DMD, and possibly an SOS Vergil run before that. At Dante vs Vergil fight now and fuck me, completely lost my ability to do it with Royal Guard. Some attempts I do fine at the beginning of the fight, only to get destroyed anyway once Vergil gets into his DT. Other times I can't parry with Royal Guard for shit and die before he even goes into DT. That style seems completely random and unenjoyable now. I guess I'll resort to just using Trickster for this fight and dodge around like a faggot. I probably don't stand even a tiny chance at this on DMD.

Fuck I cannot believe I've already beaten this fight on same difficulty several times before, now I'm complete garbage at it. Two days spent on this and most I can do is get Vergil to around 1/3 of health bar. Trickster style actually proving to be even harder to use than Royal Guard, I keep accidentally triggering that shit where Dante teleports on top of Vergil instead of just doing plain dodge which makes me disoriented and I usually take damage. I think I would've been better off not leveling Trickster at all so I could use it as only regular dodge. But then I had no idea because I never really used that style before.
And I had a delusion I was gonna finish DMD without using any Gold Orbs outside of V missions, silly me.

Fucking hell, 3 days to beat this fucking fight. And then of course Nero vs Vergil fight right after done on first try. I would like to blame myself for sucking but I also think Mission 19 is one of the most retarded difficulty spikes I've ever seen in a video game. Nothing at all in the rest of the game prepares you for this. Most of Son of Sparda is piss easy save for a bump in difficulty during Urizen fight and then absolutely brutal Dante vs Vergil fight. And I remember what massive jump in difficulty DMD mode is after SOS.. As much as I enjoy this game I don't think it has a good difficulty progression at all.

Think I'm gonna do my very first Vergil playthrough on SOS before going into DMD rape.

Lambach

Arcane
Mission 20 Dante has significantly more moves that can be exploited and punished than Mission 19 Vergil. Plus, Vergil as a playable character has moves that are both much stronger and eaiser to pull off compared to what Dante has.

Mission 20 Dante on DMD took me about 10 attempts, Mission 19 Vergil on the same difficulty took me close to a 100.

If Vergil fights Dante on Mission 20 then what does he do in Mission 19? I assumed all missions were same in his run save for that one fight. Anyway, played some DMD until I started dying to regular enemies with Nero in mission 3 yet again. Fuck me, I really thought I had improved at this. :lol: I guess I'll just do a Vergi SOS run for now and then see if I can gather enough patience for DMD. Problem with SOS though is most of it is way too easy, I end up developing bad habits.

Ended up playing up to first Dante mission on DMD and now I cannot even get past first checkpoint. :lol: I have realized that I have no idea how to do real damage with him and must've been playing completely wrong all this time. Tougher enemies take forever to take down and I get bored and lose focus. I don't want to use gold orbs with Dante or Nero, but I did end up using couple of them for V missions. Fuck, this is making me too butthurt now, I think I might switch to Nioh 2 for a while where I can spam OP Odachi move and grind for levels and better loot like a real gamer.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom