Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DC Universe Online is free now

• Thread starter Deleted member 7219
  • Start date

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Finland, as anyone who has visited GD must have noticed.

Anyway, current suggestions for names:

Code Majestic for heroes

Secret Society of the Codex for villains

Also, you people need to start joining the chat channel (I think you can do it just be trying to join) "codexia" (works for both heroes and villains), and posting your chars in the roster topic.

thesoup

Arcane
I take it you mean the ingame chat channel, not IRC?

Downloading the game right now. I'll play either tonight a bit before I have to leave for work or tomorrow morning when I come home.

I'd suggest "Gentlemen of the Monocle" for villains or something else monocle related. :obviously:

Vaarna_Aarne

Well, there's not really any spots taken, as people have multiple characters.

If you're going to go Healer, as far as I know Nature is a far better powerset for solo leveling thanks to shapeshifting. And general opinion seems to be that a Nature healer using both trees is far more powerful than any Sorcery build.

EDIT: Check some guides though before picking.

EDIT2: Btw, have you guys noticed that farming feats/achievements is actually worth it in this game? Each 100 feat points gives you an extra skill point.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
I've tried all the roles in WoW and while firemage was my main, I did end up liking healing more. So evil nature healer it'll be!

I checked the official new player's guide but it was totally worthless. Which server are you guys playing?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I think most people here are in the pve server, and I'd recommend leveling there. From what I hear you can switch between pvp and pve server anytime, though.

Vaarna_Aarne

US PvE. The chat channel should be joinable just by typing in codexia and clicking join in the chat settings. As far as I know, it works for both villains and heroes.

EDIT: And I wouldn't recommend switching to a PvP server anytime soon. The big problem with this one is that it's got the usual endgame gearing bullshit going on, so it's extremely easy to be a griefer.

A far better idea is to turn on the PvP mode, which makes it so you are in PvP state with others from the opposing faction who are also in PvP mode.

Majestic47

Learned
I made like 3 other chars and forgot how to use the combos for different weapons.

:(

Anyways. Brawling sucks. Give me my hand blasters any time.

New chars:
- Majestic 47 , Light / Hand Blaster
- Sorcerous Supreme , Sorcery / Brawling

I'll join Codexia channel tonight. :)

Majestic47

Learned
GarfunkeL said:
I've tried all the roles in WoW and while firemage was my main, I did end up liking healing more. So evil nature healer it'll be!

I checked the official new player's guide but it was totally worthless. Which server are you guys playing?

Gimme your villain name and maybe we can run together. or something.
I've been holding off play villains cause it's so...empty.

Vaarna_Aarne

No such command in the game bro, you gotta go to Settings and Chat Settings, and then type codexia in the channel tab and click join.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Popamole bullshit, everything should be possible through in-game command line :grumblegrumble:

"you have entered codexia chat channel"

Except I can't seem to find a way to talk in that channel. /say /shout work but /codexia does not, neither does /chat

Vaarna_Aarne

You gotta press enter and then change the channel you're using (to the left of the chat bar) to codexia.

Vaarna_Aarne

FUCK FUCK FUCK

They've got arbitrary limits on the way you can earn Marks of Triumph, and later Marks of Distinction. You can earn the rewards only once from each Alert and Challenge every day. Which is a total load of bullshit.

thesoup

Arcane
This shit is taking way longer than I expected. Downloaded 13 GB only to download 11 more.

Vaarna_Aarne

This game doesn't have the kind of retarded bullshit where you can only have characters in one faction you know. You can have hero and villain characters.

Mystary!

Arcane
Excidium said:
thesoup said:
This shit is taking way longer than I expected. Downloaded 13 GB only to download 11 more.
Uh. There's something wrong there.
I installed from my "old" discs and now Im facing a 13gb patch. Does seem rather big.

Vaarna_Aarne

Shoo, back to General Discussion with ye Andhaira!

EDIT: Anyway guys, some more seriously retarded design decisions lift their heads:

The Stryker's Island Penitentiary and Watchtower Containment alert missions. Both include a mid-dungeon boss fight that is made so that it doesn't matter if you use proper tactics and teamwork with a solid, it's all about either having overpowering equipment or just plain luck: The symptoms of a shitty attempt at a challenging fight. In both cases the AI is given an "I win" button, in the case of the Watchtower a ridiculously high damage attack, knocks galore and constant supply of high-damage Brainiac mobs. But the Stryker's fight against the Rogues is worse. You literally cannot beat it at T0-T1 equipment without being lucky, and the fight highlights stupid decisions elsewhere in the game (and why your average MMO gamer is a retard who thinks requiring overwhelming gearing is a challenge):

1) The thing that breaks the fight is Captain Cold having a Freeze Hold that cannot be prevented with any power or broken out of with any means and the hold lasts 10+ seconds, and it can cover the whole team at worst. The only way to avoid this is to get to Heatwave on the other end of the map, but the problem is that due to the PCs being really fucking slow in combat it is impossible to reach from Captain Cold to Heatwave, and even a Ranged character can reach Heatwave just barely if they notice the countdown from the moment it starts (they won't). Not to mention Heatwave doesn't always cancel the countdown to the freeze, so you end up frozen anyway.

It highlights several huge problems with the game: a) You have almost no mobility in a fight, b) the UI tells you nothing and you can't see what effects you have on you, and c) Picking up small visual cues is impossible in the FX chaos the game is during large fights.

2) You can be infinitely knocked during the fight, which can lead to multiple seconds without being able to do anything but take a hit. This is due to Weather Wizard just roaming around the fight with his tornado. This wouldn't be a problem if you had any way of preventing it, and if you had a cooldown between knocks like normal. Due to how the game works, you also don't have to time to look around you to avoid him, and he can keep melee characters completely away from the current target by parking his ass next to him. This means Weather Wizard is completely untouchable by melee characters, as their ranged attacks are so worthless.

3) The fight is more than anything a question of luck, the luck being the frequency at which the AI decides to use Cold's freeze hold. This is a classic example of bad design in a misguided attempt at creating a challenge. Challenge is something you overcome with preparation and tactics, not with grinding and luck. It's about having to think, not about having to repeat until you get lucky.

Similarly, I'll take back any good things I might have said about this game having a decent character build flexibility. Because it doesn't, there's no balance between builds and it's always clear there's only one loadout above all for each role. Archetypes in CO can have more creative freedom than the DCUO power sets ffs!

I'll also note that there are powers that are literally broken and do nothing, like Ice Bash, which only activates a Chill effect and the role effect, but does nothing else despite claiming otherwise. Similarly, many damage powers are inferior to just spamming your weapon style, unless you have a massive amount of Might, and even then it's preferable to use your instantly activated low-tier powers to your expensive high-tier powers with a casting time.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Well, that sucks.

fyezall said:
Excidium said:
thesoup said:
Uh. There's something wrong there.
I installed from my "old" discs and now Im facing a 13gb patch. Does seem rather big.
I only downloaded a 13 GB client and that was all...I think your game is just redownloading itself. I don't know what content this game would get in a single year to warrant a 13 GB patch...

Mystary!

Arcane
I remember why I stopped playing. It's basically a beat 'em up. My mouse fingers are strained just playing 15 minutes.
But it does beat CO when it comes to atmosphere, recognizable characters and real voice actors.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom