Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DC Universe Online is free now

• Thread starter Deleted member 7219
  • Start date

Deleted member 7219

So, is anyone playing?

Seems there is only four servers... US PVE, US PVP, EU PVE, EU PVP. I've made a couple of characters on the EU PVE server.

I quite like it so far, the combat is different than your normal MMO... no queueing abilities, you just select the buttons and attack in real time. It is suited to a gamepad.

Quests are unfortunately the same as any other MMO... go here, kill these, collect these. They could have done so much more considering the license. But maybe things will improve later on.

Deleted member 7219

thesoup said:
Completely free or subscription free?

Free to download and free to play. You can basically do everything and level up to max without paying a penny, but you can't do the PVP arenas and your inventory and bank slots are restricted. It basically follows the LOTRO model, there's only one quest pack out so far but you have to pay for that, unless you subscribe in which case you get it free.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I can't wait to try it out when I get home. I set my steam on auto download before going to work.

Hopefully combat's as good as some claimed it.

RK47

Patron
I got on US PVE server and kinda enjoyed the short romp. As expected, a much better combat mechanic than Champions Online with combo system even. Powers are activated with 1,2,3,4 etc while the primary and secondary attacks can be varied by tapping left or right mouse button at certain order or holding it down.

Liking it...but...I'm heading back to Battlefield 3 cause the quest areas are soooo crowded, making combat chaotic and a pain. Costume variety is slightly shit though...I was disconnected on the char creation cause I wasted too much time. So I make do with a cape and what not.

No email access means rewards through email can't be claimed. Otherwise, I have no complaints.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
More like DC universe offline. And when it's online I get stuck in a loading screen, awesome.

RK47

Patron
Excidium it's probably the peak opening days. They basically shut down all of the servers except for one PVE and PVP prior to making it F2P. :lol: This is what happens when they under-estimate the interest level of their MMO. Unlike Warhammer though, the IP is still big and fresh. Batman, Superman and stuff, for free? All ages will come and get it for sure.

I'd give it a chance. I'm still liking it, and may spend some cash to join the Green Lantern Corps. It looks damn spiffy.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
RK47 said:
Excidium it's probably the peak opening days. They basically shut down all of the servers except for one PVE and PVP prior to making it F2P. :lol: This is what happens when they under-estimate the interest level of their MMO. Unlike Warhammer though, the IP is still big and fresh. Batman, Superman and stuff, for free? All ages will come and get it for sure.

I'd give it a chance. I'm still liking it, and may spend some cash to join the Green Lantern Corps. It looks damn spiffy.
Actually what they did is merge all servers into one "Megaserver." (Well, two) They had a really shitty launch and people ended up leaving their too many servers, resulting in drastic underpopulation for the longest time.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
dq145h.jpg

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I was reading the DC Universe comic... Brainiac destroys the Watchtower. Everyone escapes via teleporter. Except they forgot Aquaman, who was in a healing tube and is now plummeting to Earth as the last inhabitant of the debris of the Watchtower. :lol:

RK47

Patron
Mangoose said:
RK47 said:

Actually what they did is merge all servers into one "Megaserver." (Well, two) They had a really shitty launch and people ended up leaving their too many servers, resulting in drastic underpopulation for the longest time.

Dual Pistol hero concept

Warning: Contain Red Hood Animated Movie spoiler.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Watching my brother play it, I decided to give it a whirl myself, in addition to keeping up Champions (a short break is in order, having leveled another guy to 40).

First thing I've noticed looking at the Wiki is that there's a lot less room for uniqueness in everything.

RK47

Patron
:lol: I never got that error. Get a realistic year like 1983. Or something.

Oh, VA, that's what I noticed as well, but the weapons usage felt so right when comboed with your powers. Using the taser, I grab the guy up close, use a stun grenade on his face...then tap + hold down my right button to do a Max Payne backwards dive shoot. Fucking awesome.

Even my Mind - Hand Blaster felt right with the trapping in mid air and bombarding the hapless target with the hand blast.

US PVE - I'm on Minister Mentor and Farkov, both Heroes. Some missions really need a party to pull off cause the spawn rates are crazy. But the high population does help to get you out of trouble quick. And you'll love the way they just design kill credit for missions in the open world.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
The thing is that it's really shitty to have only 7 power trees (even if they have varied powers... samey graphics are samey). BUT if you consider the Weapon Styles as "powers", then actually there's some decent customization.

Archery is a lot of fun, btw. A nice ranged/melee hybrid like Hand Blaster.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Mental/Martial Arts

Wanted to create my own brand of batwoman, but the gadgets tree looked too complicated. Settled for something simpler. Having fun, but I still can't shake that 'sidekick' feel. I guess CO spoiled me, that game really knows how to stroke your e-peen.

EU PvE, but I'll switch to US if thats what everyone else is doing. Too bad free players can't create guilds.

Vaarna_Aarne

Still updating. Man, they must have a lot of load on their servers. Anyway, going US PvE if that's where everyone else is.

Remember to join our Champions supergroup as well!

anus_pounder

Arcane
Citizen Soldier. Switching to US PvE as soon as I can tear myself away from the Justice League.

EDIT : Hang on a sec. Are you guys villains or heroes ? I'm hero.

Vaarna_Aarne

I must say, the DCUO policy of not allowing duplicate character names is really gay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom