Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DC Universe Online is free now

• Thread starter Deleted member 7219
  • Start date

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
CO's atmosphere is a lot more varied, and you actually feel like a superhero instead of a D-lister filling while the JLA go have a vacation.

Anyway, I beat the sumbitch. Though the way (still involving luck) it was beaten does highlight another huge problem the game has: DCUO *hates* melee characters with a passion, with the damage you start receiving increasin exponentially when you go melee, and then you have effects like what Captain Cold and Heatwave have which are impossible to avoid in melee. Similar loathing for ground pounders in this fight, as anyone who could shoot while flying high was safe and sound 9 times outta 10. But what really made me feel :smug: was when the veteran player who had led our group up until the final boss fight was about to give up (after the Rogues you fight Gorilla Grodd, who can be really hard), but I insisted we try one more time, this time with me making the battleplan. It was really an application of simple tactics of pulling the enemies to a location where we could engage them out of Grodd's artillery move range and hold our formation there, and voila end result was Grodd curbstomped. A much better fight, with an actual challenge in that you could beat it by simply thinking instead of going back to gearing.

Leveling and gearing a single character in DCUO is a lot more of a chore than in CO too. And not having your costume pieces unlock for all your characters will leave your butt sore (though it also bears mention DCUO costume pieces look like shit compared to CO, it's mostly over-detailed armour pieces). Still, it's a fun game for teaming due to having more team content, but it isn't good for RPing with bros as the UI is total shit and you don't really get much sense of uniqueness to your character. The big names of DC have from decent to great voice acting (read: Mark Hamill reigns supreme in the game's cast).

You know what's really funny though? Using Doomsday Punt-Kick (tm) in the Smallville Alert. It makes LexCorp scientists fly so hilariously far.

We still haven't made final decisions for our League name btw, and I don't see any of you fags online. Ever. >:C

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
This game also runs a lot better than Champions, probably because the streets are almost completely desert.

Vaarna_Aarne said:
We still haven't made final decisions for our League name btw, and I don't see any of you fags online. Ever. >:C
Meh, I haven't logged ever since I got 30. Endgame content sounds shitty so why bother?

Vaarna_Aarne

Most of it is decent enough. It's that it's got some WTF sections to it, and of course the fact that it's got the usual gearing bullshit.

Actually, I'd suspect it runs better than Champions for two reasons: 1) The Unreal engine, and 2) Because the player characters are afforded less details.

Mystary!

Arcane
Im online now. I just found out I had 3 sony accounts and had logged in on the wrong one, so now Im on the right one which is considered premium and has Light unlcked so Im probably gonna try making a hero/villain for it. I also gained accesss an old lvl 30 hero I had forgotten, Daystar.

Custom codexia channel?

Majestic47

Learned
messing around with Fallout LP, and maybe Larping a lizard child molester in skyrim

Vaarna_Aarne

Online bros, gonna get me a third Triumph item now.

Here's what Doctor Universe looks like nowadays (temporary, changes coming when I start getting Distinction gear):

MGOT101_SKYBOX-PC-22-0359070.jpg

He's also got a Dino Riders staff now:

MGOT101_SKYBOX-PC-22-0357320.jpg

Vaarna_Aarne

Alright faggots, I'm tired of being indecisive. The League names for the Codex shall be:

Heroes: Civilization Defense Squadron

Villains: Secret Society of the Codex

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Shouldn't be hard! :lol:

There were some p. cool looking ones on the basic pvp gear vendor, but I don't know if it would fit your character...

Majestic47

Learned
Vaarna Aarne Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:39 am

This is why we never see each other online.

Vaarna_Aarne

Bro, right now I have literally nothing to do when I'm not running between my room and my psychiatrist and doctor.

So I played through the opening mission (escape from Braniac). I don't know... didn't hate it. Seemed a bit more active than most MMOs, which is a plus. I doubt I'll play it much, but it didn't make me want to chop my own balls off.

I find it amusing that a guy that can (supposedly) bend time and space has trouble beating up a normal guy with a freeze ray (Captain Cold).

It kind of makes me wonder how hard Mr. Freeze, with his augmented strength, would pown your ass.

Vaarna_Aarne

You do know that the fight between The Flash and The Rogues is pretty much the most magnanimous there is? Hell, these guys killed the guy who killed Kid Flash for killing Kid Flash!

Didn't that start off the whole Final Crisis thing? The Rogues accidentally succeeded in killing the Flash, and then there was a ton of remorse or some shit?

Vaarna_Aarne

Nah, that was a tie-in mini-series.

Final Crisis was going to start with Darkseid being killed by Orion (which is kinda the thing), but Countdown To Final Crisis is so awful Morrison just told people not to read it. Basically, these two things are the set-up for Final Crisis:

Darkseid has the Anti-Life Equation, and he uses it.

Darkseid is dying.

EDIT: And Final Crisis in itself is a story about all stories. This is why the whole point of Final Crisis is said when the chimp who wrote all the stories in the world tells an ordinary man thrown in prison (actually a Monitor banished to Earth with no memories) when the man says "Don't you get it? We're all gonna die and the superheroes can't save us this time! They're as useless as my stupid drawings":

"If your superheroes can't save you, maybe it's time to think of something that can. If it don't exist, think it up. Then make it real."

The Rogues probrably got Culhões the size of small moons. They frequently fight a guy who is so mind-bending fast and ridiculous powerful that when he comes around, the laws of physics simply go all to a corner and start crying together. Makes you wonder what kind of moron decides to be a criminal in places like Metropolis or Keystone. If all it takes is someone to scream "HELP ME!" and bam your gun is melting in your hands, you're in the wrong profission, in the wrong place.

Vaarna_Aarne

Well, The Flash and his villains have a bit of a different at-work relationship, like I said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSQ-h_2WGkw

You should also know that one of them, The Mirror Master, has a pretty high standard of morality for a supervillain:

Don't read #2 unless you've read Grant Morrison's Animal Man, or if you don't intend to read, or if you mind critical spoilers.

1) He outright refused to accept a hit from a bunch of corporate bosses that involved killing Animal Man's wife and kids, and refused to give them any information that would help the assassin to replace him.

2)He then helped Animal Man get revenge when the assassin did kill his wife and kids while he was away. He also tried to warn Animal Man's family the day the assassin came, but they didn't pick up the phone (he tried to call earlier but was delayed because he never pays his phone bill).

3) He didn't work for the highest bidder on one occasion when Lex Luthor offered to double what Batman was offering him. Turns out it wasn't about the money, but the fact Batman's money was going to the orphanage in Glasgow Mirror Master grew up in.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom