Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DC Universe Online is free now

• Thread starter Deleted member 7219
  • Start date
I'd try this out, but sadly my dream of being an unpowered villain would never be realized since cunning, loads of goons and staying completely in the background, as a malevolent, unknown, force of evil (like pre-reveal Lex Luthor) isn't something a game like this can handle.

"Problem, generic hero 516? Why would I cause problems for this fair city? Why it'd be bad for business."

*smug smile*

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Actually that's one of things you can do in City of Heroes. Play a Mastermind, and you get a selection of pet sets from ninjas to demons to thugs to robots.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Still requires you to be on the battlefield though. I'm guessing Stereotypical Villain meant something more along the lines of an evil genius hidden away from all the fighting.

Speaking of which, did you try that game 'Evil Genius', SV ?

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
RK47 said:
You guys seem to forget about the SOE account leak on their Playstation network....
nope. having to reinstall 2k or me over 10 years ago is still worse, i'm afraid.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Yea, I've generally noticed you really don't feel that much like a kickass superhero compared to, say, Champions. Your power level is much higher there.

Anyway, I'm on it. I'll make the topic cover both DCUO and Champions.

Vaarna_Aarne

So anyone found any info regarding what happens to chat channels and leagues created while Legendary when you stop being Legendary? I have found nothing myself.

If no one finds anything, I'll probably have to tough it out and pay for one month's subscription and then see what happens afterwards.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Jumped on my dual pistols today and got confused, the combo triggers are different than my hand blasters and I had to spend an hour to readjust myself....overall, fun. I got Farkov to lvl 13 before sleeping. Will work on him till 20 maybe. Unlocked Batarangs and wasn't disappointed. They do as described. Nasty things.

Vaarna_Aarne

No need to pay me anything brudda.

Doctor Universe is now level 27, and has unlocked Power Cosmic:

MMET101_AUDIO-PC-10-2200350.jpg

MMET101_AUDIO-PC-10-2200370.jpg

MMET101_AUDIO-PC-10-2200410.jpg

MMET101_AUDIO-PC-10-2200440.jpg

MPYR0205_DESIGNERDATA-PC-10-2139300.jpg

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I'm almost level 30. Being a healer in this game is...complicated. I'd say it's impossible to maintain a steady healing without a controller in the group.

Vaarna_Aarne

I'm starting the subscription on Monday btw, so start throwing League names for both heroes and villains.

anus_pounder said:
Speaking of which, did you try that game 'Evil Genius', SV ?

Yus. I loved it. :D

Oh, and yeah... you're spot on. I don't find the prospect of direct combat as a mastermind-esq villain very appealing because... well... if you're a mastermind the hero should never ever know about you. (At least not for the first decade or so.)

:rpgcodex:

Edit: I wonder if I can "convince" them to let me play as Henry Bendix... but I doubt that I have enough money for the amount of "convincing" that would be required.

Captain Shrek

I don't play MMORPGs even when they are free, especially when they have stupid controls like in Conan. I am playing DCUO and although its still 'Grinding, the Game' its been fun. That's the borderline reason I am giving it any thought. After three days (total of about 3-6 hours) of performing generic quests, I am a level 12 Fire based heroic Tanker with Brawling talents. I must say that Martial Arts suck. I haven't tried any other weapon set as of yet, but dual melee sounds ok. All ranged weapons (perhaps with the exception of longbow, PERHAPS) suck in PvP.

With Fire, you can beat up any idiot who took ranged weapons/tech tree with twice your level, if your rage bar is full. There is uber powerful healing they get.. :D .

Anyone else has any power builds?

Anyone for grouping? I never tried that EVER and I would be better off with one of you guys. Although I wonder what would grouping accomplish....

Vaarna_Aarne

Hand Blaster is a very good skill tree despite being ranged. Ranged characters also have a distinct advantage in PvE due to the damage you take increasing astronomically in melee range compared to the pea-shooting you get at range.

Grouping is generally for On Duty things like Alerts and Raids, where you're grouped automatically. Otherwise there's just Wanted NPCs, but you'll usually find people swarming them, with Arkillo being the exception due to how fucking annoying Lanterns are to fight (they're fucking everywhere around that place, and the Sinestro Shock Troopers can deal insane damage, and all of them toss you around like a ragdoll) and how insane Arkillo's damage output is.

Though the Lanterns aren't the most "Beta OP" style enemies in the game. That honour so far belongs to the Metal Men you fight in the Oolong Island Alert, which can kill any group in a matter of seconds if there's more than five of them. They have this utterly insane AoE attack that lasts for 5-10 seconds and deals 100+ damage ever 0.5 seconds to TANKS, and all of them throw it at least once every fight.

PS: I managed to whip the team to shape and beat Oolong Island. I felt very :smug: when finished.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Handblaster is p. good, you can build combos very fast with that lightning thing (tap,tap, hold).

It's also my favourite style visually.

Vaarna_Aarne

Yea the Tap Tap Hold combo for blaster is ridiculously good. One of the fastest ways to generate damage and combo.

The blaster tree also has +15 Health and +20 Might options, which is a very good feature.

Doc Universe has Brawling set for melee range (the ranged ability not taken, it looks like shit, and the follow up to the lunge also not taken) and full ranged tree for Hand Blaster in case I feel like being a ranged tank.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Y'know, I can already see how it's going to be annoying maintaining two sets, one for DPS and another for healing. I wonder if it's viable to solo stuff with restoration gear without fights dragging too long...

Majestic47

Learned
Hahah, yeah, blaster is cool, but I'm having a blast with my pistols at the moment, I'm sure I'll forget how to play Sinister mentor when I return to him after getting Farkov to level 20.

I'm glad respecs cost just 500. I can actually just kept trying out new builds to save the cash from being locked down in the escrow. :)

Maybe we'll party tonight or something. Farkov is only Lv 15 though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom