Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DA2 confirmed rushed.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Relay said:
herostratus said:
Mortmeal said:
http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/2646591298931930215.jpg

To be nitpicky, that was not a *typical* BG2 quest.

Yeah and the quests in trademeet, the religious district and the beholders, the skinners murders in the bridge district were totally not typical BG2 quests either.

GTFO

BG2 had ten times the amount of actual content (aka not chantry board fluff) compared to DAO and DA2.

It did?

curry

Arcane
Volourn said:
Those quests are all large and elaborate but really light on the consequences and some fo them don't even have any actual choices.

So, yeah, in terms of size and scope, BG2 quests have the edge.. but in terms of C&C they lose.

They were interesting nontheless, and not generic "bring me 5 potions of herbaderba" DA bullshit.

J1M

Arcane
waywardOne said:
wait, that kid is someone involved with da2? i thought it was just some meme about retarded kids.
Even though my post about him was in SHIFT SPEAK it was all true. That is a senior designer at bioware and his name is william wallace. I think he is working on their MMO though.

Relay

Educated
Volourn said:
Those quests are all large and elaborate but really light on the consequences and some fo them don't even have any actual choices.

So, yeah, in terms of size and scope, BG2 quests have the edge.. but in terms of C&C they lose.

TBH I didn't talk about C&C because I tend not to follow the KKK party line when it comes to it. I tend to consider C&C as purely cosmetics since a computer game will never be able to emulate the possibilities of a true roleplaying session and its consequences end up being severely restricted, in many games in the form of ending slides which I couldn't care for since by the time you reach them you've put the game down. The only other kind of C&C besides ending slides is the "chose your side" way of doing it, which doesn't impact the actual gameplay since you just end up doing the sames quests just under a different banner. It's not like any developer could have the resources required to actually offer multiple, truly different paths to the story and not just fluff.

I'd rather have the really well thoughts and numerous quests of BG2 over a small amount of useless faction faggotry.

The quest in DAO that was the most hailed for its C&C shows pretty well what I call "fake" in computer games, since no matter what you chose to do, it will have zero impact. Going to the circle tower didn't let the demon kill more people. Siding with the demon, killing the demon AND the boy or getting rid of only the demon ? does not open or close any quest in the game whatsoever. It's just fluff. Fake. Useless. Zero gameplay impact. It doesn't even have a lasting effect on your friendship with tardistair since there are plenty of gifts and ways to get points back.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
circ said:
Stop the lies. It was all EA's fault. Do you remember Dragon Age Origins? That's right. Remember the amazing characters -- Alistair and Zevran in particular, the voice overs, the artwork, the funny -- yet realistic oversized shoulder plates, the music -- that was only enhanced when Leliana of all people started singing, the epic enthralling combat -- that I thought was a little too hard, if I may critique it a bit, the very original skills, the original setting, the highly detailed graphics that are still about 25 years ahead of their time. I mean, these are masters of their genre, now scarred by the meddling money grubbers from EA. RIP BioWare, you were the last herald of true RPG's.

Can I put it in my sig?

DraQ

Arcane
Relay said:
Volourn said:

TBH I didn't talk about C&C because I tend not to follow the KKK party line when it comes to it. I tend to consider C&C as purely cosmetics since a computer game will never be able to emulate the possibilities of a true roleplaying session and its consequences end up being severely restricted
You're speaking of CYOA consequences, those are limited by the fact every path has to be scripted. Still, even CYOA consequences can yield 2-3 completely different paths through the MQ, more for smaller questlines.

Now, implementing consequences in form of mechanics is where cRPGs would really shine. The best thing is that both kinds of C&C are not mutually exclusive and such approach can be spiced up with some CYOA consequences as well.

circ

Arcane
Volourn said:

I think I played through every single primary, secondary and side quest in act I of DA 2, and not once did my actions affect a goddamn thing. Fuck, it didn't really matter if I was snarky, greedy fuck or a saint either in dialogue, and just about every boss wanted to kill me. Except sometimes my groupmates got miffed when I got a little too neutral evil. But that was all ok! Eventually I would have had to pick if I wanted to side with templars or mages, at which point I can lose most of my mages, or most of my warriors. Rogues are ok with whatever. None of these sidequests or other quests affected a SINGLE FUCKING THING ANYWHERE. So please stop shitting where you eat you r00flemonkey.

Xi

Arcane
wallace.jpg

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclu ... wars/64689

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Jaesun said:
He worked on Deus Ex? o.O

You have to look a little bit and turns out he's not on the windows credits at all

He was an audio tech for the ps2 port.

man I can hear your preorders lining up already

waywardOne

Arcane
sgc_meltdown said:
He was an audio tech for the ps2 port.

you, sir, are not their target demographic.

:salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom