Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DA2 confirmed rushed.

Jezal_k23

Unlike other titles from Bioware, this [score] was kind of a rush job. EA really wanted to capitalize on the success of Origins, so the game was really being pushed hard to be released now.

Not unsurprising but at least it's confirmed now.

:thumbsup:

Source.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
An excuse to justify a turd. They have unlimited amounts of cash, a huge team, already developed tools, art assets, engine. Obsidian had less time with far less money and a much smaller team though they also had an already developed tools, art assets, engine.

Obsidian managed to make as good an RPG as could be made with Beth's Shitbryo.

Bioware couldn't even match the modest achievements of its predecessor.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Rushed? You don't say.
mcx7pj.png

2la7fc2.png

2nteali.png

Pride comes before a fall.
commie said:
They have unlimited amounts of cash
EA controls the budget.
Obsidian had less time with far less money
You don't know that. Why are you speaking with an authority you don't have? Show me the books, chum. You're not on the development team, not an employee of the company, heck, you may not even be working in the same industry and likely not a shareholder!
True. It was also unplayable on release with dozens of easily-broken quests. DA2 is apparently slightly less broken.

racofer

Thread Incliner
commie said:
An excuse to justify a turd. They have unlimited amounts of cash, a huge team, already developed tools, art assets, engine. Obsidian had less time with far less money and a much smaller team though they also had an already developed tools, art assets, engine.

Ok, but....

I was thinking KotOR2 here, hehe. I guess it applies to both games if you think about it, although DA2 is a much bigger turd than Fallout3 in my opinion.

racofer

Thread Incliner
circ said:
Meanwhile, Awakening remains unpatched for bored, undersexed, comfortably overweight housewives everywhere.

Origins still crashes left and right at certain quest triggers and if you cast way too many spells at the same time.

I once made a great party combo of three mages and a warrior. The warrior would have taunt and threaten turned on to attract all enemies towards him, then I cast force field on his ass so that he doesn't take any damage for a short time, cast mass paralysis on where all those hordes of turdspawns were and proceeded on casting area spells on their asses. That strategy took care of nearly everything in seconds but it crashed the game almost all the time because the engine couldn't handle so many spell effects being cast at the same time. And it's the sort of crash you can reproduce any time with certain spells being used together so it's not a hardware error or something like that. Lots of people complained over the bioboards and the workaround was to "be more creative and don't just spam fireballs???!"

durr hurr...

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
racofer said:
commie said:

Ok, but....

I was thinking KotOR2 here, hehe. I guess it applies to both games if you think about it, although DA2 is a much bigger turd than Fallout3 in my opinion.

Well KOTOR2 wasn't exactly finished was it? F: NV on the other hand was.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Roguey said:
Gaider and Woo going "if you don't like it don't buy it"

WTF is wrong with Gaider? What's wrong with looking for bugs? Even if you think it's a waste of time you do not tell a (potential) customer to fuck off when he comes to you with legitimate concerns, especially with scathing 'sarcasm'.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Roguey said:
commie said:
They have unlimited amounts of cash
EA controls the budget.
Yeah and EA owns Bioware and can release whatever money they want, so what's your point?

Obsidian had less time with far less money
You don't know that.

I do know that they had less time. MCA and others said how long they had on many an occasion. Only a moron would also think they had a bigger budget than EA/Bioware.

True. It was also unplayable on release with dozens of easily-broken quests. DA2 is apparently slightly less broken.
Stop the liez, start the truthz. I only got a single broken quest and not one CTD when playing F:NV.

racofer said:
Even unfinished, KotOR2 shits all over DA2.

You'll get no arguments from me here. Still haven't built up the courage to enter Kirkwall. Haven't touched the turd since the day I downloaded it.

Notorious

Augur
What? The involvement of EA has an affect on the quality of their games? Would have never guessed....

EA producer to Bioware
"Hey Dragon Age Origins was good and all... but wasn't Mass Effect 2 more successful and cheaper? Make the next game like that, and fast so the dumb people don't forget how awesome the previous game was. We have the cash, just sayin... and SWTOR doesn't look that promising either anymore, better make some $$$"

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Trash said:
Even Alpha Protocoll shits all over DA2. Hell, I have a hard time thinking of a recent (a)rpg that doesn't defecate all over it.

Is it too early to start comparing DA2 to Arcania?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Of course Ass Bropamoles shits all over DA2. It's by far the best game made with that action RPG format, and one of the flawed gems.

gromit

Arcane
TL;DR: what treave said, and a poop joke.

dgaider said:
I guess we're supposed to look harder for those bugs? Yes, harder. For you.
Uhm, kind of? I mean, I get the point he's trying to make, but this is despite his attempt to make it. He's a writer, for Christ's sake, and with five seconds' thought could express the same ideas in a manner which doesn't reek of disdain for the (assuredly mostly) goodly folk who put his dinner on the table. (Luckily for him, and for everyone he works for, those people are not EA "end of line story" - otherwise soup kitchens would be a major hotspot for acquiring experienced talent.)

There's a knee-jerk response to this - one I'm sure you're all familiar with: it wasn't worth the extra five seconds. However that raises the serious question, being why was it worth it to spend the first five? What, exactly, is gained from telling off some kid who buys your product? Even the "nice one" opens up with a company figurehead declaring he finds the his fans' curiousity "amusing." Who actually says shit like that, fictional villains?

Well, I am going to go poo now. I bet they do, too. Unless their dietary issues have escalated.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Trash said:
I refuse to believe Arcania exists.

Oh it exists alright. It's not even the 'worst' RPG ever as there are games that do many of the facets of an RPG worse, but NOTHING does it all with such even consistency and sheer cynicism as this travesty.

Nomnoming through a smoked meat poutine right abou
racofer said:
circ said:
Meanwhile, Awakening remains unpatched for bored, undersexed, comfortably overweight housewives everywhere.

Origins still crashes left and right at certain quest triggers and if you cast way too many spells at the same time.

I once made a great party combo of three mages and a warrior. The warrior would have taunt and threaten turned on to attract all enemies towards him, then I cast force field on his ass so that he doesn't take any damage for a short time, cast mass paralysis on where all those hordes of turdspawns were and proceeded on casting area spells on their asses. That strategy took care of nearly everything in seconds but it crashed the game almost all the time because the engine couldn't handle so many spell effects being cast at the same time. And it's the sort of crash you can reproduce any time with certain spells being used together so it's not a hardware error or something like that. Lots of people complained over the bioboards and the workaround was to "be more creative and don't just spam fireballs???!"

durr hurr...

Dear god please tell me that it was.... you know what, I don't if it was the mods or fansheep that took that stance (probably both), that's just plain batpoopy retarded. Funny how in anywhere else on the internet you can hear complaints, and at times constructive commentary, on bugs here and there, yet Bioware's little corner responds to 'Hey, it goes nuts if I do this' with a quick 'well, duhh, stop doing that then!'

Makes me kind of glad DA:O was as short as it was, as it saved me the experience of going their boards for help and discussun' with the locals. Still find it a brave choice to end the game with the fall of Ostagar though, but hey it is called Origins after all. Gotta introduce the series somehow...

Trash said:
Even Alpha Protocoll shits all over DA2. Hell, I have a hard time thinking of a recent (a)rpg that doesn't defecate all over it.

Final Fantasy 13?

duerer

Novice
(in Graham Chapman's voice:) I warn you, this thread has become silly.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
commie said:
Trash said:
I refuse to believe Arcania exists.

Oh it exists alright. It's not even the 'worst' RPG ever as there are games that do many of the facets of an RPG worse, but NOTHING does it all with such even consistency and sheer cynicism as this travesty.

Both should be remembered as what happens when devs go full derp on a franchise.

Pelvis Knot

Cipher
Longwinded & Pretty said:
Dear god please tell me that it was.... you know what, I don't if it was the mods or fansheep that took that stance (probably both), that's just plain batpoopy retarded. Funny how in anywhere else on the internet you can hear complaints, and at times constructive commentary, on bugs here and there, yet Bioware's little corner responds to 'Hey, it goes nuts if I do this' with a quick 'well, duhh, stop doing that then!'

Steve Jobs popularized this attitude with his "You're holding it wrong" answer to iphone4 antenna problems.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom