Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Consoletard reviewer finds Shadowrun too old-school, complicated

Levarious

Novice
I'm looking forward to her review of wasteland 2.

Bulba

Learned
The best thing is how they used the golden claw puzzle to show off that feature of zooming around the item on the inventory, and that was basically the one use of it in the entire game :lol:

didn't this (and every other so called puzzle) had like 9 combinations? I can vagely remember my thoughts that going through this clunky interface was taking way too much time and it would have been much faster just to guess.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Judging by the title of this thread the Shadowrun Returns developers must have done things right. Maybe I need to check it out after all.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That is Bethesda we're talking about there, 3 items to interact with will produce 3! (3*2*1) combinations

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
3*3*3 = 27 combinations if i remember correctly.

Yep, that was it. I have to admit I didn't know I could rotate items in the inventory when I first got to that part, so I figured I had missed some other hint in the dungeon and started going through the combinations like a dumbass. Only took 10 or so tries. :oops:

So I guess that makes me more or less the target audience for Skyrim - I still didn't find Shadowrun to be impenetrably complex like this reviewer, though. :D

Luzur

Good Sir
No surprise from a generation of gamers popamole faggots with attention spam of wooden horse toy, that find Skyrim puzzles "challenging".

one of those..."puzzles" are those ring doors in barrows, ive seen ALOT of posts about how to open those from schmucks, even as the code for the door is on the damn key, or claw.

Luzur

Good Sir
3*3*3 = 27 combinations if i remember correctly.

Yep, that was it. I have to admit I didn't know I could rotate items in the inventory when I first got to that part, so I figured I had missed some other hint in the dungeon and started going through the combinations like a dumbass. Only took 10 or so tries. :oops:

So I guess that makes me more or less the target audience for Skyrim - I still didn't find Shadowrun to be impenetrably complex like this reviewer, though. :D

i didnt even have a claw for two of those doors, so i just consoled them away.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer

I don't actually recall the game teaching you that you can inspect items that way.

Ninjerk

Arcane
It took me a minute, too. I looked at the item briefly in inventory and missed the code somehow so I ended up spending about 15 minutes trying to read the walls. I was really sure for awhile there that the developers just all of a sudden got REALLY smart and wanted me to figure it out from the clues on the wall (there aren't any).

Karmapowered

Augur
I find consoletard reviewers too difficult to understand.

They never make any sense to me.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The best thing is how they used the golden claw puzzle to show off that feature of zooming around the item on the inventory, and that was basically the one use of it in the entire game :lol:

didn't this (and every other so called puzzle) had like 9 combinations? I can vagely remember my thoughts that going through this clunky interface was taking way too much time and it would have been much faster just to guess.

The funny thing is that I didn't watch any of the trailers that showed this feature and assumed that the puzzle involves some logical guesswork - animal combinations based on stuff like having the animal highest in the food chain on top, or having the largest on top, or something like that. So I tried to solve these puzzles that way until I got frustrated with one of them that didn't seem to have any logical solution, and I checked a walkthrough. Only then did I find out the solution is on the claws and there's no actual PUZZLE involved at all.

And there I was, playing the game for hours and thinking Bethesda actually implemented puzzles that require a bit of thinking, only to find out that they don't once I get stuck on one of the puzzles and notice that the solutions don't follow a logic but are entirely arbitrary. :lol:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
On the subject of shadowrun and arbitrary bullshit puzzles, I tried the SNES shadowrun a few days ago. I got stuck after a while, and checking a walkthrough made me lose pretty much all interest. Apparently scalpels are the tool of choice for prying open crypt doors, not crowbars. I even tried raising my strength to maximum as well. "It won't budge" indeed. Fucking pixel hunt adventure games make me :rage:

Ninjerk

Arcane
The real question here is why is this girl writing for venture beat while exquisite and knowledgable gentlemen of RPG knighthood such as the RPG codex go without a voice?

Stare long enough into the abyss and all that...

m_s0

Arcane
(starts new game)
(picks class)
(gets a huge screen "SPEND YOUR KARMA" "...karma represents your experience...")

Yeah, I... I am very white knight, but...

...kitchen.

but, she did give it 85/100. It means 3.5/5 out there today, right?
3,5/5 is 70% so even higher than that. I guess nobody told her it's okay to use the full scale because that's what it's there for. It might be safe to assume then that her 85 roughly translates into something along the lines of "mediocre". Standard procedures for reading game reviews apply, in other words.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom