Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cities Skylines II

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
KEEP HITTING THE HOMERUNS, PARADOX

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

urhcv0irbrvb1.png

Last edited:

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
sub 40 at 1080p on a 4090 with 24GB vram.
How the hell did you manage that when your game looks like shit. The low preset benchmark is telling that their post-processes on the high preset are stupidly unoptimized - its likely yet again lighting and shadows as they are usually the heaviest hitting on FPS. The new engine/renderer they're running obviously wasn't worth the time to develop most of the QoL stuff could have been added to Cities 1.

For what is like what the 5th or 6th thread I've posted this in now, I fucking despise Paradox.

Elim

Augur
Project: Eternity
I simply can't fathom that. There must be some major asset fuckery to reach this kind of FPS. Haha.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
I simply can't fathom that. There must be some major asset fuckery to reach this kind of FPS. Haha.
Considering Cities 1 was fine, it can't be the assets as they are made almost in identical style excluding the cube maps which are new but cube maps are very efficient anyway.
Beyond that I can't tell the difference between the assets tbh lol I wouldn't be surprised if some of them are reused from Cities 1.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The trend that I've noticed in gaming this year with so many horrendously unoptimized games released. You have to turn the graphics way down to get acceptable performance but then they look worse than games released 10 years ago. What even is the point, then?

Caim

Arcane
I wouldn't be surprised if that's because of publisher pressure to get the game out on time. And if you have to choose between missing features and missing optimization, the latter seems like the better deal.

Mortmal

Arcane
sub 40 at 1080p on a 4090 with 24GB vram.
How the hell did you manage that when your game looks like shit. The low preset benchmark is telling that their post-processes on the high preset are stupidly unoptimized - its likely yet again lighting and shadows as they are usually the heaviest hitting on FPS. The new engine/renderer they're running obviously wasn't worth the time to develop most of the QoL stuff could have been added to Cities 1.

For what is like what the 5th or 6th thread I've posted this in now, I fucking despise Paradox.
I don't understand either. I guess it's because they don't have a mastery of Unreal Engine 5, coupled with a corporate mentality that includes nepotism and diversity hires, perhaps. Another thing I can't comprehend is how, at this level of performance, they don't just cancel the release and rework it, or do something else. It will severely damage their public image, trust, and stock value. When you look at the absurd requirements for Alan Wake 2, at least you can say it looks photorealistic, but here, there's not even that. I really don't understand how we can reach such a stage of incompetence.

flyingjohn

Arcane
How the hell did you manage that when your game looks like shit.
Because the effects/LOD/something else are broken and devs can't fix it because it tied to engine quirks.
The new engine/renderer they're running obviously wasn't worth the time to develop most of the QoL stuff could have been added to Cities 1.
They are still using Unity.
Considering Cities 1 was fine
It wasn't fine, performance was a joke for a city builder. In fact the devs were vocal about how they struggled with Unity and getting decent performance.
The trend that I've noticed in gaming this year with so many horrendously unoptimized games released.
Ai upscaling is seen as silver bullet and a great excuse to not even bother optimizing. Couple this with more talented programmers leaving, this will get worse by a yearly basis.
I wouldn't be surprised if that's because of publisher pressure to get the game out on time
Publishers are never responsible for optimization problems. Devs choose to leave optimization for the last two months(while hoping they can fix the performance issues) and then cry about needing more time. You could give these devs a year extra and nothing will change.
You can't optimize a inherent engine limitation. Welcome to why generalist video game engines are not a good idea unless you have somebody with a lot of experience with the engine and genre.
I guess it's because they don't have a mastery of Unreal Engine 5
They are using Unity.
coupled with a corporate mentality that includes nepotism and diversity hires, perhaps
The devs are from Finland, doubt the rot has settled so much there.
It will severely damage their public image, trust, and stock value
Nobody gives a fuck about performance if you pay enough streamers. The game will be shat on and a new patch that give you extra 5 fps will be seen as a success and the game will sell millions.
When you look at the absurd requirements for Alan Wake 2, at least you can say it looks photorealistic
Alan wake 2 does not look photorealistic at all. The new fancy effects are nice, but nothing special that requires that much gpu power.
Especially when you are using shaders that are designed to be optimized as much as possible.

Last edited:

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
How the hell did you manage that when your game looks like shit.
Because the effects/LOD/something else are broken and devs can't fix it because it tied to engine quirks.
The new engine/renderer they're running obviously wasn't worth the time to develop most of the QoL stuff could have been added to Cities 1.
They are still using Unity.
Yikes, ok that explains a lot. I thought the entire point of this game was to move them away from Unity, instead they're just selling the exact same game again. My mistake.

I never had performance issues with Cities 1 but I never got any of the DLCs and was playing on relatively good specs when it came out. I mean its possible Paradox doing their usual DLC bullshit ruined the performance of Cities 1, wouldn't surprise me, every one of their games suffers from it. But I have seen from the bigger cities that it runs poorly when the map is fully filled - I just never got to that point because I got bored because the game was too easy.

Mortmal

Arcane
I really thought they were going to change the game engine, which would have made performance issues at least understandable. Now, it may be true they're relying on paid streamers to generate enough hype for the game's sales. There are already plenty of preorders, as it's topping the Steam sales charts. Paradox drones are buying everything, and there are even some people saying that 30 fps in these kinds of games is completely normal. If this kind of issues in a game get a free pass, we might as well bid farewell to quality PC gaming, except for indie titles.

flyingjohn

Arcane
-Make a city builder game.
-Waste all your resources on rendering citizens underwear/teeth as detailed as possible which you can't even see

Is there a promotion for this feature in Unity? I swear, i am starting to see more devs praising that they can waste resources on eyebrows and internal organs you can't even see.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Review total has increased to 1292 from 151 and from from 29% to 27%. Definitely a shitshow. Luckily for PDS and CO the Paradrones will buy any trash their savior craps out claiming it will be great "eventually" and they'll even pre-order it.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I really thought they were going to change the game engine, which would have made performance issues at least understandable. Now, it may be true they're relying on paid streamers to generate enough hype for the game's sales. There are already plenty of preorders, as it's topping the Steam sales charts. Paradox drones are buying everything, and there are even some people saying that 30 fps in these kinds of games is completely normal. If this kind of issues in a game get a free pass, we might as well bid farewell to quality PC gaming, except for indie titles.
When the average Steamtard with an outdated PC and a clogged OS tries running this the ratings will tank from all the rage

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Remember the 2 hour refund. I used that countless of times. My point is that I think those counts into the sales.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
5467 reviews have put the game into 43% positive, or "mixed", territory. Many positive reviews are just people whining about negative reviews.

Down to 50k players from 100k so far. Sales figures are still sub 200k.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
What compels a person to buy a game that has very poor steam user ratings.
The power of shill youtubers with embedded communities of absolute dumbasses. You're going to see a crazy amount of marketing for a game no one wants.
whining about negative reviews.
So par for the course in terms of Paradox releases then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom