Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cities Skylines II

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm hoping they fixed the economy and made making money a challenge, but I doubt it.

Alfgart

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
No gameplay and zero info for a game that's coming this 2023. It will be either delayed or a barebones piece of shit with no new content over CS1, or both

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
They are claiming they would add "fully-realized transport and economy systems".

Keshik

Arcane
Using UE5 apparently, so that's something. Probably will still run like ass somehow.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
I reported the steam page, I think there's an element of suckers that won't read the very tiny print "not actual gameplay" and assume the pre-renders are screenshots. They shouldn't even have the pictures on there its totally misleading the trailer is fine as a placeholder as is.
Very dodgy way to start off Paradox. If its not ok for Indies to do this they shouldn't be allowed to either. It seems that using bullshots goes against TOS but I've only seen it enforced on indies, usually they just let the AAA publishers get away with it (Creative Assembly I'm looking at you).
As of 2016 (NoMan'sSky) this has been against TOS for Steam as far as I'm aware that is still the case.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Using UE5 apparently, so that's something. Probably will still run like ass somehow.

And it means modding will be dead. Probably as Paradox wanted it as mods for CS were too big of a threat to their shitty DLCs.

flyingjohn

Arcane
-Stutters ahoy
-No mods
-Huge gamesize
-Denuvo since unity denuvo can easily be cracked
-Shit realistic graphics with too much effects

Maybe some autist will make a unofficial cities II in Godot.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Maybe some autist will make a unofficial cities II in Godot.
I mean sure but by the time it was done CS3 would be out. Honestly better idea would be just do a 2D Isometric game in the style of SimCity2000/SimCity4, as Godot is far better suited for that style of game. The tilemap functionality in Godot is some of the best I've seen, its very performant and everything is built into the core engine. I haven't performance tested Godot 4 yet though so I don't know how far reasonably you could get with crowds and persistence, for things like that Unity might be better because of DOTS (not saying DOTS is a silver bullet, the documentation for it frankly sucks so most developers won't be able to access it). It'll be interesting to see what compromises they had to make for Unreal 5 because I'm not expecting this to run very well, Tropico 6 was dreadful so Unreal has a history of not really doing City builders well, it can do them but with some pretty major limitations on performance and its got nothing to do with visual impact from experience they're actually very cheap visually due to the reuse, city builder AI and pathfinding is weighty.

Beastro

Arcane
The trailer for this SUCKS, saw a funny parody of it though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dN6RwjNxx8
What I loved about playing the first at launch was the water pumps. If abused in mass numbers they would let me to drain rivers, lakes and the ocean allowing me to build cities below sea level protected from flooding by a wall of the sheer SUCKAGGE that kept the waters back. It was fun for a city-builder to actually allow true terraforming, not just changing the landscapes height.

That makes me think given that the most fun of these games is abusing them: Someone should make a dystopian city builder game. Basically, you're a 40k planetary governor given a world and it's up to you how you'll make it a functional nightmare. You could make cities from gouging out and hollowing mountain ranges or build towns by acid swamps and reap the economic benefits as reproduction keeps above the morality rate, etc.

Caim

Arcane
That makes me think given that the most fun of these games is abusing them: Someone should make a dystopian city builder game. Basically, you're a 40k planetary governor given a world and it's up to you how you'll make it a functional nightmare. You could make cities from gouging out and hollowing mountain ranges or build towns by acid swamps and reap the economic benefits as reproduction keeps above the morality rate, etc.
Me buying Cities Skylines 2 hinges entirely on whether you can build another poop volcano.

Mazisky

Magister
GAMEPLAY TRAILER (IN-GAME FOOTAGE)

Confirmed bigger maps, modular buildings, traffic AI, parking, in-depth economy, medium density, seasons and weather

Last edited:

Caim

Arcane
I know a thing or two about electrical grids so I think it's kinda funny that their idea of "low" voltage is in the ballpark of 10kV. Sure, this could be fixed by having the larger transformer station be placed near the power plant, have the above ground high voltage cables moved be carried by pylons and have underground high voltage cables connect to smaller stations that turn the high voltage into low voltage. Such stations are barely the size of two parking spots, and can automatically hook into the low voltage network built through the road system. Such stations have an action radius of a few hundred meters, so you'll still need to build them to keep your city running. Add in some minor redundancy (connect the stations in a ring shape instead of a straight line) and bob's your uncle.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom