Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cities Skylines II

no one's pulling hair waiting? surely not me. i expect "it's an incomplete skylines, with many new bugs, some old one and a few brought back from earlier versions".

Busyman

Novice
no one's pulling hair waiting? surely not me. i expect "it's an incomplete skylines, with many new bugs, some old one and a few brought back from earlier versions".

This was my most anticipated game for the year (along with SF 6, which I decided not to buy), but with the recent announcement today of no support for Steam Workshop mods and assets so that they can put everything on there Paradox mod site (for console gamers), I've decided to not buy it. I'm going to wait and see what Paradox and CO does with the game in the future.

Man, I was hyped for this game, although it went up and down with the later Dev Diaries as I think their focus is on the wrong area, specifically, the agent system. It's also expected to have bad performance at launch as well, which the developers finally acknowledged after people started becoming concerned with the playthroughs by youtube marketers.... I mean streamers.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...d-performance-for-cities-skylines-ii.1601865/

A NOTE ON PERFORMANCE AND OUR COMMITMENT TO PLAYERS

On another note, we've noticed the concerns raised about Cities: Skylines II performance, especially after our previous statement with raised minimum and recommended specs. As we've always believed in transparency, we'd like to further shed some light on the current state of the build.

Cities: Skylines II is a next-gen title, and naturally, it demands certain hardware requirements. With that said, while our team has worked tirelessly to deliver the best experience possible, we have not achieved the benchmark we targeted.

In light of this, we still think for the long-term of the project, releasing now is the best way forward.
We are proud of the unique gameplay and features in Cities: Skylines II, and we genuinely believe that it offers a great experience that you will enjoy.

We will continually improve the game over the coming months, but we also want to manage expectations on performance for the coming release. Our ambition is for Cities: Skylines II to be enjoyed by as many players as possible, and we're committed to ensuring it reaches its full potential.

Thanks for your understanding and continuous support. We're lucky to have a community as passionate and dedicated as you.

:hero:

Shin

Cipher
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...d-performance-for-cities-skylines-ii.1601865/

A NOTE ON PERFORMANCE AND OUR COMMITMENT TO PLAYERS
On another note, we've noticed people bitching about Cities: Skylines II performance, especially since we raised the minimum and recommended specs recently. Despite we know we'll get review-bombed for this shit, we'd still like to make an effort to mitigate that somewhat.

Cities: Skylines II is a new game, and naturally, it will perform piss poor on your expensive computer. With that said, it will run A LOT WORSE than you probably imagine right now.

In light of pressure on the studio from our publisher and financial backers, we're still releasing this shit. We are proud of the unique gameplay and features in Cities: Skylines II, and we genuinely believe that if you keep your city extremely small, you'll have a good experience with future hardware.

We will continually improve the game over coming months and release a shitload of DLC for you to buy, but we also want you to know that's it's rather unrealistic to expect any real performance improvements on your current hardware, it's Unity after all. Our ambition is for Cities: Skylines II to be enjoyed by as many paying customers as possible, and Paradox is committed to squeeze every fucking penny out the player base in the coming years.

Thanks for reading this disclaimer. We're lucky if we rise above 'Mixed' reviews on Steam during the launch period.

translation

i've always been sad when the nth awaited big hit turns out to be a big turd (so pretty much always in the last 20 years, but this is another story), but at this point i want to watch them fail and burn. we aren't going to get good games anyway, they all better vanish from existence.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Fascist mods on the Plaza finally banned me. They were literally stalking my PMs to find a reason, very sad for them. I don't think those mods are even paid. I get it though, after a series of bombs and underperformers I guess everyone gets defensive. I really wanted to shit talk CS2 so I'm a bit bummed.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
The performance is pretty poor.
Another performance example using the latest Cities Skylines 2 review code. In this video, you can see our medium-sized city with a blazing fast Gaming PC: Intel Core i9-13900KS with overclocked cores, hand-tuned DDR5-7600 (32-44-44-28, 2T), E-Cores off plus AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC. With the graphics preset 'High' @ Ultra HD/4K, Cities Skylines 2 puts the system on its knees - without upsampling 10 to 15 Fps (!) are normal, while FSR 1.0 can boost performance by ~2x. It does NOT help against the heavy stuttering that occurs occasionally.

flyingjohn

Arcane
https://www.ign.com/articles/cities-skylines-2-review

Leana Hafer, a veritable OPB 2.0, has been forced to give CS2 a 6.0, with the caveat that it could easily get up to a 9-10 if they'd fixed a bunch of hideous visual glitches.

If only they'd apply this level of criticsm to CK3. Royal Court with a 9/10? Mindbreaking stuff.
You don't understand. You can't expect a sequel to have features or performance on par with the previous game. That comes with a 10+ years of dlc and patches.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
https://www.ign.com/articles/cities-skylines-2-review

Leana Hafer, a veritable OPB 2.0, has been forced to give CS2 a 6.0, with the caveat that it could easily get up to a 9-10 if they'd fixed a bunch of hideous visual glitches.

If only they'd apply this level of criticsm to CK3. Royal Court with a 9/10? Mindbreaking stuff.
You don't understand. You can't expect a sequel to have features or performance on par with the previous game. That comes with a 10+ years of dlc and patches.
I hate that shit so much. This is literally #4 on the list of the way Paradox creates problems for themselves through their greedy DLC model and then excuses themselves by pointing to their greedy DLC model.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Why someone would even choose unity as engine of choice for a heavy simulationist game and now a game with heavy graphical demands? Supposedly they fixed CPU bottleneck from CS, but now GPU is the bottleneck. People already posting evidence that they compared GTX 970 and rtx 4090 and they get roughly twice the frames on rtx despite rtx being much faster GPU. Something is terribly wrong with the game.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Why someone would even choose unity as engine of choice for a heavy simulationist game and now a game with heavy graphical demands? Supposedly they fixed CPU bottleneck from CS, but now GPU is the bottleneck. People already posting evidence that they compared GTX 970 and rtx 4090 and they get roughly twice the frames on rtx despite rtx being much faster GPU. Something is terribly wrong with the game.
Unity lets you churn out both games and content for those Unity games at an insane rate. My experience watching communities based on Unity games is that all the limitations and problems with Unity don't impact sales enough to justify a properly optimized custom engine. There's always more Unity devs to hire, there's tons of people who make mostly Unity art assets, tons of scripters for Unity, and so on.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
What they needed to improve graphical look from CS was just to do this:
-remove the pastely/cartoony colors
-sharpen the model edges so they are not so round and look cartoony, add defintion, yes that will mean more geometry
-better lighting and materials with full PBR support to make it look realistic
anyway this would still mean you need good PC, but RTX 4090 running this game at 20fps with a modest city on high/ultra 4k is pretty poor, no DLSS support[?] or framegen. For a modest city and 4k ultra i would give a top tier gpu 60 fps, while big cities/late game should run 30 fps roughly. We can't expect miracles of having 100 fps with huge cities and good looking city, but at least 30 fps is a minimum for having moderate comfort.

Last edited:

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
It looks like complete shit, buildings not lining up with the terrain, self shadows not at max look aliased and jagged enough to slit wrists etc. Bad AA implementations as well from what I've seen on videos.

A fucking mess.

Hellion

Arcane
The game's alright gameplay-wise, they even incorporated most, if not all, of the first Cities Skylines' DLC stuff into the base game, like mass transit options, airfields, disaster management etc. But it's almost comical how unoptimized it is in its current state, the "review guide" they sent out even mentions that "it is recommended to run the game at VERY LOW graphical settings because anything higher than that will cause framedrops". And at very low pretty much everything is a blur.

cs2screen.png

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
The game's alright gameplay-wise, they even incorporated most, if not all, of the first Cities Skylines' DLC stuff into the base game, like mass transit options, airfields, disaster management etc. But it's almost comical how unoptimized it is in its current state, the "review guide" they sent out even mentions that "it is recommended to run the game at VERY LOW graphical settings because anything higher than that will cause framedrops". And at very low pretty much everything is a blur.

cs2screen.png

This looks like an upscaled commodore game on this settings.

Mortmal

Arcane
That's brutal... Actually, if you take a look at worker&resources, it looks a lot better. The requirements are like, a graphic card? Err, yeah, sure, you need one, anything

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom