Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard extends a ginormous middle finger.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ulminati said:
uTouv.png
Acquisition of virtual stuff? Mirrors real life. News at 11.

Redlands

Arcane
I wonder if you could get gambling regulators (if any) on to this.

It seems to me that "games" are entering a phase where they're no better than poker machines.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
Morgoth said:
sgc_meltdown said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPe_90Fp ... re=related

I didn't know new age composers did dark ambient as well these days
Neger bitte.
What does this mean, "nigger cock" or "poor please"?
that's what wiktionary says :M :retarded:

Cool how one word means nigger, the other means poor. One word means please the other means cock. And from such close countries

Also, did I mention the new tristram theme(if that's actually the theme) is much less memorable darker spookier and appeals more to the gothic style of the game?

attackfighter

Magister
Ed123 said:
Morgoth said:
Is it true Matt Uelmen left Blizzard?

Just listen to this shit now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Jd6GX--soI&feature=related

I can't fucking believe they're doing this to Diablo 3.

This shit was hilarious in that SC2 cutscene.

Ah yes, the cutscene where they were on Char with their visors lifted despite there being acid rain and sulferic atmosphere (or something like that). It was very touching how they played the melodramatic music and showed random corpses of people who were supposedly convicts conscripted into the military, truely Blizzard is a master of grace and subtlety.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
attackfighter said:
Ed123 said:
Morgoth said:

Just listen to this shit now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Jd6GX--soI&feature=related

Ah yes, the cutscene where they were on Char with their visors lifted despite there being acid rain and sulferic atmosphere (or something like that). It was very touching how they played the melodramatic music and showed random corpses of people who were supposedly convicts conscripted into the military, truely Blizzard is a master of grace and subtlety.

Because they weren't. The Confederacy used conscripts as fuel of war but Raynors Raider don't. In fact, the whole story is about "chose yourself what you want to do" and it's not just Raynors motivation to wade through shit kneehigh but also for all of his Soldiers of Fortune as it is explained in one cutscene. That's in direct opposition to The Confederacy/The Sons of Korhal who force people to do stuff, like abadoning Kerrigan to the Zerg, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyTHP6t9 ... age#t=151s

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Morgoth said:
What language uses bitte as cock? I have to know!

French, but we use only one "t". And yeah, we make fun of German-speaking people daily because of that.

attackfighter

Magister
raw said:
attackfighter said:
Ed123 said:
Morgoth said:

Because they weren't. The Confederacy used conscripts as fuel of war but Raynors Raider don't. In fact, the whole story is about "chose yourself what you want to do" and it's not just Raynors motivation to wade through shit kneehigh but also for all of his Soldiers of Fortune as it is explained in one cutscene. That's in direct opposition to The Confederacy/The Sons of Korhal who force people to do stuff, like abadoning Kerrigan to the Zerg, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyTHP6t9 ... age#t=151s

The dead marines weren't Raynor's men, I don't think. The cutscene preceding the one I mentioned showed that dominion officer guy ("Warfield"?) and his soldiers fighting and getting killed by zerg before Raynor shows up and saves him with 0 casualties, so I'd assume that the dead were all Dominion forces.

Gregz

Arcane
3) Items in the auction house are bought and sold for real-life money.

There are dozens of sites where you can buy D2 items right now, behind that is a very active botting community.

I guess the SETI/folding folks are going to lose even more cycles after Blizzard eliminates the middle-man.

Wolfus

Arcane
Long time ago... games were created by young visionaries and enthusiasts.
Nowadays... games are created by old managers.

Kurva.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
attackfighter said:
The dead marines weren't Raynor's men, I don't think.

No, they are. Particulary the scene where he grabs the dogtag from the dead marine is explained here: http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/M._Koiter

The cutscene preceding the one I mentioned showed that dominion officer guy ("Warfield"?) and his soldiers fighting and getting killed by zerg before Raynor shows up and saves him with 0 casualties, so I'd assume that the dead were all Dominion forces.

Some of them are also Dominion casualties, yeah. But considering they're fighting side by side with Raynor's Raiders, that's kinda a given.

Leonard DeVir

Educated
<melancholy>

Its the fucking money (Cpt. Obvious here). At first, they produce a game, its great, people like it. With the gained money, the devs are now able to create a game they envisioned. Its bigger, more epic, more polished, ...most like it, some dont. Nevertheless, it sells even better, the $$$ flows, the publisher/developer smells the profit and the sequels derail into streamlined, simplified crap. Mechanics are stumped to appeal the dumb masses, DLCs are churned out like there is no tomorrow, or the game focuses heavily on online gaming/PvP, whch leads to neglect in Sp mode.

I know that all of this is obvious...but Ive seen this circle with so many remarkable movies/games/books over the past years..great concepts dying to soulless suit bastards, because they want to earn 1,1 Mio instead 1. Mio per year. Call me a whateverfag, but sometimes it hurts a bit "losing" a beloved series, especially if there are childhood memories atached to it.

Long time ago... games were created by young visionaries and enthusiasts.
Nowadays... games are created by old managers.

Kurva.

Yeah, I remember playing Starcraft and Diablo in school with my mates and our IT teacher. If we had questions or problems, we posted on the blizzard forums - sometimes even the devs responded. Talk about enthusiasts...

</melancholy>

In the end, why do they even implement single player if they clearly want you to play online? If they are so afraid of mods or hacked chars - no SP, no possibility. Now tell me the difference between a MMORPG and this. Hurray for World of Diablo!

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Mastermind said:
Do you get to play your own character whose progression is in your hands? If yes, then it's just as much of an RPG as Fallout and D2. RPGs don't have to be all about combat.

Yes the My player mode has player progression. So does the season mode but not with individual players. You start with a player that has no business being in the league and you can develop a hall of fame talent. I don’t know if I would call it an RPG. Its more of an RPG than Diablo. In Diablo character progression and class effects the combat just like God of War. In My Player it changes the story. It’s the difference from a career in the Development league and a perennial Allstar. Also it’s a lot harder to develop a great player in My player because you lose skill points in the off season.

Actually, I'd love to see a character sheet like that for a crpg. That puts popamole shit like the goldbox games to shame.

The more I think about it the more it seems that My Player’s character system is way ahead most RPGs. I tell you a sports game that is more an RPG than just about anything I can think of College Hoops 2k8. One home visit can be the difference in recruiting the next Magic Johnson which can dramatically change a coaching career. These decisions are structured in a way that discourages reloading.

How are the Gold Box games pop a mole?

Ahzaruuk

Arbiter
Ultimately, the only "real" issue is that you must be online to play it at all times, and really, given the fact that the game is primarily designed to be multiplayer oriented, I hardly see this as a fault.(Who played D2 Offline for any other reason than that the servers were down?)

Real Money Auction House is just providing what was already there without the backalley blackmarket scams.

The no modding part is also pretty trivial-Not to mention since they're bringing real money into part of the game that they're probably taking a zero-tolerance-no-chances take when it comes to anything that could potentially bone people out of real cash.

My 2 cents.

Gregz

Arcane
Leonard DeVir said:
<melancholy>

Its the fucking money (Cpt. Obvious here). At first, they produce a game, its great, people like it. With the gained money, the devs are now able to create a game they envisioned. Its bigger, more epic, more polished, ...most like it, some dont. Nevertheless, it sells even better, the $$$ flows, the publisher/developer smells the profit and the sequels derail into streamlined, simplified crap. Mechanics are stumped to appeal the dumb masses, DLCs are churned out like there is no tomorrow, or the game focuses heavily on online gaming/PvP, whch leads to neglect in Sp mode.

I know that all of this is obvious...but Ive seen this circle with so many remarkable movies/games/books over the past years..great concepts dying to soulless suit bastards, because they want to earn 1,1 Mio instead 1. Mio per year. Call me a whateverfag, but sometimes it hurts a bit "losing" a beloved series, especially if there are childhood memories atached to it.

:thumbsup:

Couldn't have said it better myself. It is indeed the money.

It's also why projects like *Angband, Nethack, JA2 1.13, Median XL, etc. are so great. They are for gamers, by gamers.

It reminds me of a Keith Richards interview, in which he said he'd quit the band if the 'accountants' were allowed to influence their music in any way shape or form. That was his only rule, and it was a wise one.

Gord

Arcane
Ahzaruuk said:
Ultimately, the only "real" issue is that you must be online to play it at all times, and really, given the fact that the game is primarily designed to be multiplayer oriented, I hardly see this as a fault.(Who played D2 Offline for any other reason than that the servers were down?)

Don't try to generalize other players from your own perspective.
I've never played D2 online, not only because I had a shitty connection at the time, but also because I simply never felt any motivation to do so. I've played over LAN a couple of times with some (offline) friends and that was all the multiplayer I wanted.
Granted, D2 had certain limits when played purely offline (item sets were almost impossible to obtain) but it was enjoyable enough.

No problem that they want to focus more on multiplayer, but Diablo has always been a good single-player game, too, and for single player the always-online restrictions smells of shitty DRM-schemes.

I guess sometimes you have to oppose this shit if it goes against your principles.
Did I mention I'm not going to buy DX:HR because of the in-game ads?

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Kaanyrvhok said:

Does this game provide you with sufficient information to weigh the importance of "off hand dribbling" against "consistency"?

For example I played a hockey management game a while back where you had tons of stats like that.

But once I actually read the game mechanics (on a wiki of course), I found out many of the stats only effect one or two very minor things. Only a few stats were really important, the rest were mostly there so you could masturbate to numbers going up.

To some extent in an action sports game you can afford to have a lot more useless/minor stats, but in a strategy or RPG game where the player has to make decisions based on stats, there is a lot to be said for a low number of stats, where each one is important and has a purpose that the player can easily understand (ideally with actual formulas).

Otherwise you really have no way of knowing if 75 close combat 50 swords 35 dual wield is better than 50 close combat 50 swords 60 dual wield. The player would actually have more useful information if all characters were simply rated on one parameter; "Combat".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom