Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard extends a ginormous middle finger.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
made said:
Blizzard's devious scheme uncovered:
http://www.pixelpoppers.com/2011/08/bli ... ption.html

- make item drops the only means to advance/customize a character
- force everyone online, ban mods so people can't hack drops in their SP games
- sell items on anonymous AH at ludicrous prices

EPIC MOUNTS $59.99

Micmu

Magister
Can't wait for first reports about accounts suspended (games deactivated) because of inventory swastikas in their "single player" games... :lol:

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
micmu said:
Can't wait for first reports about accounts suspended (games deactivated) because of inventory swastikas in their "single player" games... :lol:

No more naming our SP characters hilariously vulgar things, either.

RIP FriarFatDick

Renegen

Arcane
Gord said:
Kraszu said:
Suicidal said:
Really, out of all these 3 things I'm pissed only about mods. Internet connection? Big deal. I am always online.

And no privacy mode witch sucks the most about it.

Privacy is not valued very highly these days. If you are fine with a perpetual total disclosure of your private life on services like Facebook and Twitter, why should you care about an always on requirement?

If we continue to be so indulgent a few years from now all (major) games will require to be online for playing it and feature in-game advertisement that's being personalized for your convenience by an industry that's constantly analyzing every aspect of your digital life - gaming preferences, your social media accounts, websites you like, and so on.

Can you hear Orwell turning over in his grave?

They want to sell you shit while you play your single player game. Doesn't matter if you interact with others or not.

Now everyone needs to think about this. If you want to mod the game and make drops higher and play with some friends or the mod community, you can't. If you want to play in total privacy, you can't. Those who say this DRM does not affect them just don't see too far. They BUY the game and yet they are not allowed to do anything with the product. The DRM makes it so that you are completely at the mercy of Blizzard.

You can't experiment some builds, or a new gear, or have fun making powerful runewords, you must grind it out exactly as Blizzard wants you to, oh and hey if you are bored, the cashshop will be there to speed it up. It's really a cruel idea of what gaming should be.

It is nothing but the slow and deliberate destruction of what this video game industry has been so far. Making fun products that people buy and enjoy. Instead more and more, the player will be at the mercy of the publisher and will have to put up with their bullshit, their nickel and diming, their advertizements, their selling of private information and so forth.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Acti-Blizz, Starcraft $60 USD.

"ITS OKAY BECUZ ITS BLIZZLOL WORTH TEH MONIES"

Everyone else jacks up prices

Acti-Blizz, Online DRM

"ITS OKAY BECUZ ITS BLIZZLOL, FREE PASS"

Ubisoft goes, Damn, thats how its done, everyone else follows suit.

Coming soon. Acti-Blizz, In-game Advertising

*Cue fellator fanboy defence squad falling over themselves and the spent ejaculate from Kotick to protect the name of their gaming god whilst wiping the streams of spunk from their faces*

BioWare and Beth have NOTHING on the fans willing to defend ActivisionBlizzard (Remember, its not Blizzard any more, its that fucker Kotick in charge, so put Activision before it to remind yourselves)

Whats that? Online DRM not so bad, always online anyway. Its one more finger in your arsehole stretching you out before they decide you're ready for the grand fucking you will get (pay them to be privileged to receive).

Sordid Jester

Educated
An undoubtedly lucrative and long-lasting source of income built into the game that they can abuse the shit out of.

Full retail price and a bit more.

:thumbsup:

Kraszu

Prophet
Gord said:
Kraszu said:
Suicidal said:
Really, out of all these 3 things I'm pissed only about mods. Internet connection? Big deal. I am always online.

And no privacy mode witch sucks the most about it.

Privacy is not valued very highly these days. If you are fine with a perpetual total disclosure of your private life on services like Facebook and Twitter, why should you care about an always on requirement?

If we continue to be so indulgent a few years from now all (major) games will require to be online for playing it and feature in-game advertisement that's being personalized for your convenience by an industry that's constantly analyzing every aspect of your digital life - gaming preferences, your social media accounts, websites you like, and so on.

Can you hear Orwell turning over in his grave?

D3 always online on top of that seems annoying because your friends will know that you play even when you want to play alone.

Gord

Arcane
Pika-Cthulhu said:

Coming soon? It's already here. Take a look at Deus Ex: Human Revolution...

Kraszu said:
D3 always online on top of that seems annoying because your friends will know that you play even when you want to play alone.

This is what annoys me most about Steam. I can put up with the rest but I absolutely HATE the non-existant privacy options.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Imagine if movie theaters could forbid you from bringing in outside food or drink and prevent you from watching films at home. Don't you think they'd do it if they could? Don't you think they'd try to tell you it was to improve your film-watching experience?

But Blizz fanboys don't see this.

DaveO

Erudite
I've liked the ability to play offline when I want. I'd rather not spend any time on multiplayer-only where all your effort evaporates once the servers are taken offline or your account is deactivated due to inactivity. I stuck with D2 Single Player because I could not stand the online toilet-level bots, selfish players, and I could play as often or infrequently as I wished.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Gord said:
Pika-Cthulhu said:

Coming soon? It's already here. Take a look at Deus Ex: Human Revolution...

Kraszu said:

This is what annoys me most about Steam. I can put up with the rest but I absolutely HATE the non-existant privacy options.

Same with Battlefield 2142, my path of logic being, once ActiBlizz does it, it suddenly become acceptable practice industry wide because "ITS BLIZZLOL"

Coyote

Arcane
Never played the previous Diablos because I'm not a fan of that kind of design (I tolerated it - barely - in Divinity because it excelled in other areas, such as music and humor). Was thinking about giving this one a shot, but fuck that.

I can't believe the amount of apologism in this thread, especially regarding the always-online DRM. Shannow, Trash et al. have it right.

corvus

Arcane
People are willing to trade other peoples' freedom for a little bit of safety or something like that

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
eRR WHAT safety are we trading it for? i mean, fuck. what's the harm of letting your players play offline as long as he's registered his game ONCE?

corvus

Arcane
Don't worry guys when they take away gamers' privacy and freedom it just means they're making investors' money safe from an industry full of pesky things like pirates and customers who only pay money for the game once and never spend another dime. So by keeping all their customers online with multiple options of spending their cash that privacy and freedom will eventually trickle back down to the gamers again

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
Fucking post in the right fucking forum

its hack & slash and thats in general gaming

:rage:

Gord

Arcane
corvus said:
So by keeping all their customers online with multiple options of spending their cash that privacy and freedom will eventually trickle back down to the gamers again

Let's see if that trickle-down privacy and freedom is as successful as the other trickle-down stuff. :M

Micmu

Magister
always-online DRM.
Why do you keep referring to this blizzards shit as always-online DRM?
It's not even that.
It's a straight fat client for their online service. Just like with all MMOs except it has no monthly fee... so far. All games run on their servers as well as all player information is stored there. It's like Diablo2's battle.net. Even for single player.

Cassidy

Arcane
Coyote said:
I can't believe the amount of apologism in this thread, especially regarding the always-online DRM. Shannow, Trash et al. have it right.

If this was Obsidian then we'd be even more surprised with the amount of apologism. I hope the idiots who don't mind this kind of corporate abuse have a nice assrape of their savings, privacy, and dignity in the future as they utterly deserve.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I seriously don't get it. What is the big deal about requiring you to be online to play? The game obviously designed around multiplayer and doesn't even have a single player component. It's like bitching that you have to be online to play Everquest.

Morkar Left

Xor said:
I seriously don't get it. What is the big deal about requiring you to be online to play? The game obviously designed around multiplayer and doesn't even have a single player component. It's like bitching that you have to be online to play Everquest.

Because D1+2 were singleplayer (D1 was some kind of modern roguelike) and D3 is a sequel to it and not a multiplayer only spin-off?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Morkar said:
Xor said:

Because D1+2 were singleplayer (D1 was some kind of modern roguelike) and D3 is a sequel to it and not a multiplayer only spin-off?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom