Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

BG3: The Quest for More Money!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
kingcomrade said:
Vault Dweller said:
Shannow said:
BethesdaLove said:
Hmm.. Bioware can't be the dev. They do Dragon Age and an MMO and have 2 dev groups.
Need some help here, VD. How many games does EA expect from Bio again? 6 in two years?
Don't recall, sorry. I remember that it was an unreasonable number. EA expects 300 mil in revenue in 2009 and 2010 (from the acquisition), which is kind of crazy, but not as crazy as the EA very own console:

http://gamegym.blogspot.com/2008/05/ea- ... -2012.html
EA bought Ubisoft?
They bought a big chunk in 2004 and bought more in 2007.
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/05/29/ubiso ... quisition/

aries202

Erudite
Isn't Google making a new conosle, too? along with their Google Chrome browser for the internet?

There's a saying that you should stick to what you do best. For Google this is the search machine and the varius applications to it such as google earth and such things. For Microsoft this is making Operating Systems.

Are you sure this just isn't a renewal of their copyrights and trademarks rights for the BG games?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"100 per game = Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age, MMO"

MMO doesn't count as that's a whole different division. 300+ employees only counts BIO-EA Edmonton. And, not all their games have 100+ employees on at all times. In fact, DA didn't have 100 employees on it until this year I believe.

BIO has DA, Sonic (which is finished since it has gone gold plus has a 'small' team), likely ME2, the LA project, another unnannounced project plus whatever secret ones they may have in very early development.

BIO definitely has the man power to do more games.. but, I doubt it's BG3 anyways. Then again, VD's link to the licensing is very interesting...

"There's a saying that you should stick to what you do best"

Fuckin' dumb. For those who like BIO games that would mean no BG and hence this thread wouldn't exist. As, at one time what BIO did 'best' was medical software. L0L And, before that, they were doctoring. R00fles!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Yeah, yeah. You think I'm dumb, brainwashed, and whatever other fun description you can think of. Coolio beanios as it doesn't change what I stated was/is true.

L0LLIGAGZ!

MetalCraze

Arcane
aries202 said:
There's a saying that you should stick to what you do best.

For Microsoft this is making Operating Systems.

huh?

Also I think Volourn is stupid too, but I have to admit - he did a nice job fighting those russians.

mondblut

Arcane
skyway said:
ahem tbh CDP sucks at quests and dialogues variety.

Hm, quests and dialogues are about the only thing in TW done right.

Anyway, Bioware is an EA studio now, so since Atari publishes it or retains exclusive rights for D&D computer games, there is no way Bioware could touch it. And bethsoft didn't work for outside publishers for like how many years? So Obsidian is logically the most possible developers, but in truth it could be anyone really.

As for story, duh, the 4e transition allows for any kind of crap. When Cyric killed Mystra, Bhaalspawn fell from the skies and turned a first-level character again, whoops!

I am almost sure it will be a better RPG than "Fallout 3", though.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"he did a nice job fighting those russians."

You say that because we were on the 'same side'. In essence, I'm 'dumb' when you disagree with me, and 'smart' when you agree with me. *shrug* Typical net geek.

"Anyway, Bioware is an EA studio now, so since Atari publishes it or retains exclusive rights for D&D computer games, there is no way Bioware could touch it."

Your logic is retarded. BIO is makinga Sonic game even thoguh it's a Sega property. Same as with their new LA project.

It's unlikely; but possible that Atari, and EA could make a deal to have BIO develop BG3. :roll:

Monolith

Prophet
Ausir said:
I wouldn't be surprised if it were CDPR.
Somehow I totally didn't think of that. I don't know. They do have 3 unannounced projects in their pipeline right now, though.

Ausir

Arcane
Monolith said:
Somehow I totally didn't think of that. I don't know. They do have 3 unannounced projects in their pipeline right now, though.

And CD Projekt bought Metropolis Software, so they now have 2 development studios at their disposal.

mondblut

Arcane
Volourn said:
Your logic is retarded. BIO is makinga Sonic game even thoguh it's a Sega property. Same as with their new LA project.

It's unlikely; but possible that Atari, and EA could make a deal to have BIO develop BG3. :roll:

Even if it made sense for Sega to license its franchise to their competitor, even if it would made sense for Atari to do the same - D&D isn't Atari's property. They've only got an exclusive license to publish computer games based on it, and this license clearly can't be sublicensed to third parties. So the only possible way Bioware could do a D&D game is when D&D license is revoked from Atari and given to EA. Which could happen any day indeed, but that would become public long before any kind of D&D-based game would go into preproduction at EA. And the news clearly state Atari is going to publish it.

Ausir

Arcane
Sonic Chronicles is being developed by the EA-owned BioWare and published by Sega. So BioWare could also still make a D&D game published by Atari, even when owned by EA.

mondblut

Arcane
Ausir said:
Sonic Chronicles is being developed by the EA-owned BioWare and published by Sega. So BioWare could also still make a D&D game published by Atari, even when owned by EA.

The development of Sonic started long before the EA acquisition. I find it highly doubtful for an EA internal studio to start a project for an outside publisher *now*.

You're all missing the big thing here, it's not Baldur's Gate 3 for the PC, it's obviously Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 3, which has more name recognition and remembrance in the general market. You say Baldur's Gate to the average gamer, Bhaalspawn, Irenicus, and YOU MUST GATHER YOUR PARTY BEFORE VENTURING FORTH! don't come to mind as readily as a hack and slash action-RPG where you could run around and kill things.

Plus, Dark Alliance 2 apparently ended on a cliffhanger.

Ausir

Arcane
It will probably be called just "Baldur's Gate 3" and be something like Fallout 3 - somewhat in between original Baldur's Gate and DA gameplay, just like FO3 is somewhat in the middle between FO and FOBOS. Fortunately for them, both the original BG series and the DA series had 2 installments, so they can market is as a successor to the former to the PC crowd and a successor to the latter to the console crowd.

I wouldn't even be surprised if it featured characters from both.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Even if it made sense for Sega to license its franchise to their competitor, even if it would made sense for Atari to do the same - D&D isn't Atari's property. They've only got an exclusive license to publish computer games based on it, and this license clearly can't be sublicensed to third parties. So the only possible way Bioware could do a D&D game is when D&D license is revoked from Atari and given to EA"

You are an idiot. As mentioned, Atari could publish it. Just like Sega and Sonic.

"The development of Sonic started long before the EA acquisition. I find it highly doubtful for an EA internal studio to start a project for an outside publisher *now*."

LA project which was announced AFTER EA bought BIO. Like I said, it's very unlikely BIO is developing it, but it's not impossible espicially if VD's link to the licensing is factual.

There is nothing wrong with Atari publishing a game developed by EA BIO. *cough* Sonic *cough* *cough* LA game *cough*

Ausir

Arcane
By the way, BG3 was greenlighted only now probably because before the recent deal with Interplay, Atari had the right to the title, but not to the actual stories and characters from neither the BG series nor the BG:DA series.

DemonKing

Arcane
I'm a bit confused here - Atari are going to release the game (as holders off the D&D license) but EA (through Bioware) are holders of the Baldur's Gate Trademark. How is that going to work? Unless EA is planning to buy the license off Atari (or just Atari itself)...which wouldn't surprise me although would seem a bit odd given they have their own Dragon Age franchise launching soon.

Whatever...no doubt any BG3 will be a 4th edition game and will be set in the FR 100 years into the future as is the new FR campaign system where Baldur's Gate is now the preeminent city replacing Waterdeep. Also the basic 4th edition rules allow characters to follow a "Demigod" path if they get powerful enough, so any kind of munchkinism is possible.

Ausir

Arcane
Atari owns the BG trademark, not BioWare/EA.

Whatever...no doubt any BG3 will be a 4th edition game and will be set in the FR 100 years into the future as is the new FR campaign system where Baldur's Gate is now the preeminent city replacing Waterdeep. Also the basic 4th edition rules allow characters to follow a "Demigod" path if they get powerful enough, so any kind of munchkinism is possible.

Bhaalspawnspawn?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom