Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

BG3: The Quest for More Money!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Shannow said:
BethesdaLove said:
Hmm.. Bioware can't be the dev. They do Dragon Age and an MMO and have 2 dev groups.
Need some help here, VD. How many games does EA expect from Bio again? 6 in two years?
Don't recall, sorry. I remember that it was an unreasonable number. EA expects 300 mil in revenue in 2009 and 2010 (from the acquisition), which is kind of crazy, but not as crazy as the EA very own console:

http://gamegym.blogspot.com/2008/05/ea- ... -2012.html

MetalCraze

Arcane
Btw it seems that Criterion is fucked. All they were doing in the past years are nothing and a port of their already released game to PC. Guess someone is going to be cloooosed.

doctor_kaz

Scholar
PC Gamer reported four and a half years ago that BG3 was in development. I wonder what ever happened to that.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Vault Dweller said:
Shannow said:
BethesdaLove said:
Hmm.. Bioware can't be the dev. They do Dragon Age and an MMO and have 2 dev groups.
Need some help here, VD. How many games does EA expect from Bio again? 6 in two years?
Don't recall, sorry. I remember that it was an unreasonable number. EA expects 300 mil in revenue in 2009 and 2010 (from the acquisition), which is kind of crazy, but not as crazy as the EA very own console:

http://gamegym.blogspot.com/2008/05/ea- ... -2012.html
EA bought Ubisoft?

Mojo

Scholar
I wonder how they will actually "continue" the plot from the original games. Throne of Bhaal really wrapped it up. I hope it's not some bullshit like just using the game name to attract buyers, like those hack and slash "Baldur's Gate" games for the playstation.

Xi

Arcane
Mojo said:
I wonder how they will actually "continue" the plot from the original games. Throne of Bhaal really wrapped it up. I hope it's not some bullshit like just using the game name to attract buyers, like those hack and slash "Baldur's Gate" games for the playstation.

In the same way Diablo 3 will continue its franchise story.

MetalCraze

Arcane
ahem tbh CDP sucks at quests and dialogues variety. And the only game they ever did was a hack'n'slash with no non-combat stats, poor "simon-says" combat, shitty sidequests and a decent story with some C&C to add at least something positive there. Oh and a design of a nature looked very good.

Mareus

Magister
Mojo said:
Well there is potential to continue the story in a grand way. ToB ends with some talk about war between the Gods and here I see a lot of potential. The game could start in 2 ways, depending how you ended ToB.
1. If in ToB you decided not to be a God, the story could continue from that point and from there it would eventually force you to accept your destiny and thus make you become a God.
2. If you accepted to be become a God in ToB, the story simply starts from that point.

The game could be about your battle with Cyric, since he was the one who took the Throne of Bhaal and became the God of murder and was the one who feared your rise to power more than anyone. Since it would be about Gods, I see a lot of potential how your actions affect the ordinary people and kingdoms. You could for example ask for help from your previous companions and some requests could actually lead them to their death depending on your actions. Some hard choices and consequences come to my mind. There is also a lot of potential for some God politics and betrayals.

Of course the game could also take another approach and if you decided to be a God in ToB, the game could start with how you were betrayed and made mortal again. The possibilities seem limitless for a grand epic story. I really feel there is room for BG3, but the way games are treated in the last few years I would rather not see it happen than see it happen with some 3D bloom crappy camera shit.

Starwars

Arcane
I *believe* Obsidian were looking for people for a brand new game a while back that was not Alien, SoZ or Alpha Protocol as I recall. It was also mislabelled as a RTS first, but a dev said it was a typo. But my understanding was that it was really a new project. Could be mistaken though.

They've said several times that they'd love to work on more D&D games.

If it's not Bioware, then Obsidian and maybe CD Projekt seems like the logical choices. Can't see who else it would be if we're still talking RPG devs. Bethesda hooray?

Still, it's so fucking pointless to keep reviving these old franchises like Fallout and BG. Let it rest, develop something brand new that will knock our socks off instead of trying to capture the essence of the past.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
How the fuck would they make a CRPG about being a "god", especially based on 4e?

Nah, my bet is that it's going to be a start-at-first-level, complete revamp of the whole thing. Nothing to do with the original game at all other than maybe a few gratuitous mentionings of Irenicus or some shit like that.

That is, if this thing's ever made at all.

Mareus

Magister
Crispy said:
How the fuck would they make a CRPG about being a "god", especially based on 4e?

Nah, my bet is that it's going to be a start-at-first-level, complete revamp of the whole thing. Nothing to do with the original game at all other than maybe a few gratuitous mentionings of Irenicus or some shit like that.

That is, if this thing's ever made at all.
It doesn't have to do anything with rules. Rules can be made.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
The D&D rules can only be stretched so far. There is no possibility of becoming a god in 3e, and I don't think there is in 4e, either.

If whomever this publisher is wants to retain their D&D rights, they have to do it Wizards' way. That means no gods. Sorry.

Edit: I'll concede that you were able to ascend to the throne as a "god" in ToB, but what's being proposed is to take that role all the way through an entire new game. I just don't see it happening.

Mareus

Magister
Vaarna_Aarne said:
A story about fighting the nowadays a god Bhaalspawn from the previous titles would be nice.
That would suck, because it would basically destroy the character you roleplayed before. I hated seeing it happen in Deus Ex 2, in Myth3, and I would hate it in BG3.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Mareus said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
A story about fighting the nowadays a god Bhaalspawn from the previous titles would be nice.
That would suck, because it would basically destroy the character you roleplayed before. I hated seeing it happen in Deus Ex 2, in Myth3, and I would hate it in BG3.
Bhaalspawn is like Revan. It would only benefit to have him moved away from Bioware's inept writing (or in this case, missing) and turned into something interesting.

Mareus

Magister
Crispy said:
The D&D rules can only be stretched so far. There is no possibility of becoming a god in 3e, and I don't think there is in 4e, either.

If whomever this publisher is wants to retain their D&D rights, they have to do it Wizards' way. That means no gods. Sorry.
You mean like Bioware when they made a ranger with WIS 6?

Mareus

Magister
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Mareus said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Bhaalspawn is like Revan. It would only benefit to have him moved away from Bioware's inept writing (or in this case, missing) and turned into something interesting.
Nope.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"They do Dragon Age and an MMO and have 2 dev groups"

Huh? You are on crack. They have more than 2 dev groups. Plus, BIO has 300+ employees (plus, EA backing them) so they can easily do more than 2 games at a time. In fact, they do. Just look at their list of 'games in development'. BIO isn't some pansy interent based company. *cough* Iron Studios *cough*. LOL

And, BG's story doesn't have to be over. Coem on, people. This is a fantasy series, just sue your fuckin' imagination.

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
100 per game = Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age, MMO
I personaly hope that Baldur's Gate 3 will never be made. If I become a multibillion man like Billy boy then maybe =P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom