Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

BG3: The Quest for More Money!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... ?id=197448

A third instalment in the Baldur's Gate series is tipped to be in development, without original creator BioWare.

Although it won't be ready for at least another year, we've heard the RPG sequel is coming along at an as-yet-unnamed developer and Neverwinter Nights 2 house Atari - which recently released a series compilation on PC-DVD - is said to be handling the publishing duties.

The acclaimed RPG series hasn't seen a proper release since 2001's Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal, and has been the subject of constant rumour and speculation since.

A third game was even said to be in development at on-off Baldur's expansion dev Black Isle Studios, which has now been closed.

Original members of Black Isle have since founded Obsidian Entertainment, which helmed a sequel to BioWare's Neverwinter Nights.

Obsidian is a possibility then but the developer behind the third Baldur's Gate is still a mystery to us, although we've heard it's a studio more than capable of making a fantastic looking production. Speculate away.

When contacted Atari said it had no comment to make except that Baldur's Gate is "one of the properties Atari has rights to".

I checked the trademarks:

Word Mark BALDUR'S GATE
Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Computer game software. FIRST USE: 19980100. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19981200

Filing Date June 29, 2007
Registration Date May 27, 2008
Owner (REGISTRANT) BioWare Corp. CORPORATION CANADA 4445 Calgary Trail, Suite 200 Edmonton, Alberta T6H 5R7 CANADA
Type of Mark TRADEMARK. SERVICE MARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
Owner (REGISTRANT) BioWare Corp.
So is it Bioware who is developing or not?
Why is my childhood getting raped on a daily basis?
Terminator fucked, Alien fucked, Fallout fucked, now Baldur's Gate...
It's funny how things for your childhood coin your mind and nostalgia always helping =)

In before Volly

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Obsidian is a possibility then but the developer behind the third Baldur's Gate is still a mystery to us, although we've heard it's a studio more than capable of making a fantastic looking production. Speculate away.

So it's graphics they're focusing on.

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
Hmm.. Bioware can't be the dev. They do Dragon Age and an MMO and have 2 dev groups. Obsidian is doing Alien rpg and Alpha protocol or some shit. They arent developing it...

racofer

Thread Incliner
D&D + Obsidian + Cinematic effects + Fantastic Graphics + continuing someone's work

Sounds disturbingly familiar. Will they make a good camera this time?

Xi

Arcane
Bethesda?

"We're going to use the 1.0 ruleset, it will be in first person and use level scaling, and 95% of our development resources will be spent on technology. It will sell like sex."

Shannow

Waster of Time
I used to expect certain games from certain names. Sequels used to build on the originals. While decreases in certain aspects of the games nearly always accompanied sequels the overall product usually was on par or better than the original... Now names are irrelevant. Put a 3 or 4 behind the name and it still won't resemble the original product. As with FO3 it doesn't even become a matter of improving or dumbing down. The sequels are so different from the originals that one might as well compare a FIFA game with a simcity game.

How is Sawyer's Black Hound coming along? Haven't heard anything about it for months. Same goes for Purgatorio.

Shannow

Waster of Time
BethesdaLove said:
Hmm.. Bioware can't be the dev. They do Dragon Age and an MMO and have 2 dev groups.
Need some help here, VD. How many games does EA expect from Bio again? 6 in two years?

Durwyn

Prophet
In before Planescape becomes a trilogy anouncement:
Planescape 1 : Torment
Planescape 2 : Assrape
Planescape 3 : Multi-choices cinematic dialogues hitting yes,no and fuck you OH GOD ITS HEAVAN

Durwyn

Prophet
Lestat said:
Durwyn said:
In before Planescape becomes a trilogy anouncement:
Planescape 1 : Torment
Planescape 2 : Assrape
Planescape 3 : Multi-choices cinematic dialogues hitting yes,no and fuck you OH GOD ITS HEAVAN
http://www.planescapetrilogy.com/
I know about this one... I've meant original Planescape. The chance that purgatorio will be released in this century is as big as chance that Troika will dig up from grave and make Arcanum 2

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Cloaked Figure said:
Durwyn said:
is as big as chance that Troika will dig up from grave and make Arcanum 2

never will happen, and thank god.
howard_point.gif

Durwyn

Prophet
Cloaked Figure said:
So what would you propose? 12 different games, each one for the many endings in Arcanum?

Prequel is possible IIRC... Game devs already did worse things to games... just look FO3 ...impossible is nothing

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Arcanum 2 - a prequel or something set in the late 1700's of Arcanum's world. I would like that.

Or they could actually make the Journey into the Centre of Arcanum game that they wanted to make.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Bethesda.

Zomg

Arbiter
I'm wondering what the legal ramifications of promoting some of Sawyer's Black Hound shit into a full blown Obsidian AA(a) project would be.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom