Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Avowed Deep Dive at Xbox Developer Direct 2024

Mortmal

Arcane
I am not expecting anything from Avowed, yet that trailer managed to disappoint me.

soutaiseiriron

Educated
utterly slopmaxxed
im sure its going to be bland and have zero meaningful exploration just like outer worlds

El Presidente

Arcane
n63Tbh7.jpg
GRQSnag.jpg

Obsidian trying to lure in the oldfags with Arcanum's half orc and gnome diversity hires bait

glencoco

Barely Literate
The 2nd Avatar (terrible movie) did the same awful hairstyles on the kid aliens. P U!

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The combat looks like an oblivion mod. 0 feedback when you hit the enemy. Although I think even oblivion had the feature where if you hit an enemy with a ranged attack, they fall down according to the direction of the hit, whereas in avowed they seem to just collapse.

It might still sell well just because bethesda hasn't made a game like this since skyrim.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
why does the game freeze every time a melee attack lands

Because when they first advertised some gameplay footage, everyone dumped on them for how skyrim and floaty it all felt. So these geniuses did the next best thing: they implemented the hit-stop from a popular skyrim mod, so now it really looks like modded Skyrim.

Just Locus

Educated
They should've just stuck to making Pillars a strictly cRPG franchise, although Microsoft apparently disallowed that from happening because "cRPGs are dead" which is absolutely astonishing given Baldur's Gate 3's current success - Microsoft's gaming division seems allergic to making good decisions.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Microsoft apparently disallowed that from happening because "cRPGs are dead" which is absolutely astonishing given Baldur's Gate 3's current success
Microsoft's negotiations with Larian to put Baldur's Gate 3 on game pass were leaked, and they rated the product as a niche, B-tier addition.
Also they specifically described it as a "Second-run Stadia PC RPG".
So you can see their opinion on cRPGs right there, with a dollar value attached: 5 millions total for Baldur's Gate 3 to be free for all GamePass users forever. Other games that Microsoft rated in the same price range as BG3 are Return to Monkey Island and Just Dance. Mortal Kombat is listed as 250+ millions.

https://imgur.com/a/pHi74Dq

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
It is unfortunate that Obsidian didn’t lean into Cyphers on this. Medieval Psi-Ops would have been a more unique approach than what they showed.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They should've just stuck to making Pillars a strictly cRPG franchise, although Microsoft apparently disallowed that from happening because "cRPGs are dead" which is absolutely astonishing given Baldur's Gate 3's current success - Microsoft's gaming division seems allergic to making good decisions.
Microsoft had nothing to do with it. Multiple developers have stated that Microsoft has given them free reign to do whatever they want. Obsidian management didn't even want to go back to doing crpgs in the first place, Sawyer had to twist their arm to make that kickstarter happen.

The biggest betrayal is Brian Fargo going from "Those mean old publishers wouldn't let me make the crpgs I want!" to making a big budget shooter the first time he got a blank check.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
The biggest betrayal is Brian Fargo going from "Those mean old publishers wouldn't let me make the crpgs I want!" to making a big budget shooter the first time he got a blank check.

Perhaps. But at least Fargo can make a decently fun RPG (Wasteland 2) unlike Sawyer.

Gundroog

Literate
If this is what they specifically want you to see, something they wanted to show off, that is so fucking sad. Can't wait to see how much of a mess the whole thing is gonna be.

Sentinel

Arcane
If this is what they specifically want you to see, something they wanted to show off, that is so fucking sad. Can't wait to see how much of a mess the whole thing is gonna be.
Yeah this is my worry too. The game doesn't even look visually appealing, which is the minimum you'd expect from a platform exclusive to draw in retards. The fuck are they doing?

PS: just realized i'm not replying to fantadomat . where the hell is that guy

Suger

Literate
I'll definitely skip that one. It seems very generic, uninspired and also, what the hell is going on with the colors?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The combat looked a bit janky. The freeze the enemy and then shatter them was amusing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom