Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

a grain of salt... GI FO3 article leaked.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Brother None said:
Well, uhm, it's not just FP/RT...
It's not?

"While you'll certainly be able to tackle enemies in real time using first person shooting, V.A.T.S. lets players pause time and select a target at their leisure...

...and a really awesome shot of a first person encounter with a super mutant..."

I dunno. Sounds awfully first person & real time-ish to me.

...the teaser already showed they have a better grasp of the setting than Cuevas did...
Which doesn't say much. Also:
"...the main character has a weapon called "The Fatman" which is a handheld nuclear catapult."

I hope it's a joke.

...the multiple-ending thing looks like a move in the right direction
From the Morrowind hype campaign: "With multiple endings and the ability to perform your objectives in a variety of ways..."

We all know how that turned out.

...doesn't look like they're completely butchering SPECIAL.
Based on what?

I know they really hurt your feelings with Oblivion and all, but there are in fact gradations of being negative. We might just be on a different scale.
They didn't hurt my feelings with Oblivion, just like they are not hurting my feelings with Fallout 3. I just don't see anything to be excited about as a gamer, and as a Fallout fan I don't see anything that would explain why more hardcore Fallout fans are sighing with relief.

hiciacit

Liturgist
People should realize that what Bethesda means when they say stuff like 'multiple endings' or 'solve quests through combat, sneaking, or dialogue', is not necessarily the same as what you expect it to be.

gromit

Arcane
I"m picturing, best case scenario, psuedo-phases stemming from a Tactics-style "CTB" system, applied to a first-person RTWP (though I'm honestly not sure they'd want to limit the number of times someone can pull the trigger and make a bang.) I have not yet decided how I feel about this, and how it fits in with what I was expecting / hoping for / knew wouldn't happen. I don't know if this is even what IS happening. There's a lot about their system left to the imagination.

Incomplete, spun info on mechanics can make for some truly excellent design exercises. It should be a regular game here - everybody takes the vaguery and applies their own sensibilities, bias, and tastes, fleshing it out into a different implementation.

Edit: Oh, wait. :wink:

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Funny, there are many people here who are cautions when they hear the features promised by, lets say the Witcher developers for their game. "Lets wait if they can deliver", "meh thats only stupid PR", "How many of this will be be really in the game?".

Don't get me wrong, I absolutly agree with them.

Yet when they get that little list from Beth, which
-has a absolutly shitty Trackreckord as an RPG dev
-is known for their PR Campaigns which are full of shit and lies

they joy as if that little list would already mean the game will turn out awesome.

It is as if all the Beth bashing has created some kind of backslash, making people to eager to defend Bethesda now.

Sheek said:
2nded.

The rest of you guys are a bunch of faggot whiners, as usual. The list of features on the whole sounds pretty good to me, actually far better than I would have expected. Of course maybe this is just their plan, and the problem will be execution. Bethesda have never proved themselves good at content, but it seems like they've had a 70% or so turnover since Morrowind and the Elderscrolls. Maybe they've recruited a few workers and creative minds alongside Halo-freaks and coffee-bitches...

Sheek said:
CDProjekt Witcher PR guy: we're making a Classic RPG (TM)
Jinxed: Wow! Something good for a change!

Me: look at their websites & vids. It looks like an Action-RPG to me.

Talb about doublestandarts in *favour* of Beth
:lol:
At least nobody can say codex members are biased against Beth...

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
TalesfromtheCrypt said:
they joy as if that little list would already mean the game will turn out awesome.

I'm just positively surprised of some of the statements, and they sound better than what Oblivion had to offer. Wouldn't have thought that.
Still, it's Bethesda, and I know that they will use lots of hype and blatant lies to get as many sales as possible, so I don't trust any of it to be true. Also, some stuff sounds retarted, like the nuclear catapult [whose fucking idea was that? Even if it was an easter egg, it's stupid].

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
hiciacit said:
People should realize that what Bethesda means when they say stuff like 'multiple endings' or 'solve quests through combat, sneaking, or dialogue', is not necessarily the same as what you expect it to be.
That's really the critical point. They can say it all they want, but they will have to show it. Still, it sound somewhat better than }}}}!Patrick Stewart!{{{{

If that weird combat system actually allows some tactical approaches it's more than one could hope for, but at present that's entirely unclear. Its also unclear how character skill is factored into the realtime combat aspect, which is at least as important to me.

JarlFrank said:
TalesfromtheCrypt said:

I'm just positively surprised of some of the statements, and they sound better than what Oblivion had to offer. Wouldn't have thought that.
Still, it's Bethesda, and I know that they will use lots of hype and blatant lies to get as many sales as possible, so I don't trust any of it to be true. Also, some stuff sounds retarted, like the nuclear catapult [whose fucking idea was that? Even if it was an easter egg, it's stupid].

So what do we really have? Some vague promises about multiple endings and different ways to play the game. Had that before in Previous Beth PR campaigns.

We have an *actual* confirmation that the combat system will be Oblivion with Guns. Great news.

A character creation which seems pretty neat-o, but could be tiresome, especially when replaying the game. I hated the whole proces of creating a char in Morrowind.

Gore in Slow-Motion. Fuck yeah! :roll:

And of course the awesome first-person encounter with a mutant. I wonder if the guy who wrote this could see the fear in the mutants eyes?

The only positive thing I could spot there were signs of an advanced water/radiation system and that Beth got rid of levelscaling, wow takes a real genius to relaize that it was total crap, after all that positive feedback it got from everyone. Dont worry, there is much room for other retarded features.

But at least sheek can cheer up and call us faggots for not falling for the hype again, and again, and again...

Oh, and I've been wondering what after the teaser makes people think that Beth gets the setting?

7774706-6885886.jpg

7774951-15852994.jpg

So much for Bethesda getting the setting...

Fez

Erudite
I don't know if it was Bethesda or the magazine that chose that cover. Often the cover is dictated by the games publisher in return for exclusives like that, but it could also be something the magazine art department put together at the last minute from any sort of source.

Fez said:
I don't know if it was Bethesda or the magazine that chose that cover. Often the cover is dictated by the games publisher in return for exclusives like that, but it could also be something the magazine art department put together at the last minute from any sort of source.

Im pretty sure that magazines are provided with PR artwork from the developers, however would I know how to make screenshots from the teaser I had done that.
Thing is, the picture pretty good represents the visual style of the trailer. Nothing of that colorfoul EC-Comics inspired style from Fallout is in that trailer, instead only this greyfilter retardness.
All that Beth has accomplished with the trailer was a mediacore Fallout 1 Intro rip-off, with Ink Spot music and a few vault boy references pasted in, and of course Ron Perlman.

If thats enough for people to think Beth has grasped the setting...

hiciacit

Liturgist
GhanBuriGhan said:
They can say it all they want, but they will have to show it. Still, it sound somewhat better than }}}}!Patrick Stewart!{{{{

Yeah, but what's the difference with }}}}!Liam Neeson!{{{{? And also, there were lots of things they said about Oblivion that sounded immensely promising, like that incredible RadiantAI they made, or the dialogue that would be leaps and bounds above that of Morrowind, or how you could side with different factions and how your actions would influence the world, or how Oblivion would be more like Daggerfall, even the graphics with their per pixel shadowing bloom HDR fancy stuff...we all know how those turned out.

It will not be cool. Trust me!
:twisted:

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
TalesfromtheCrypt said:
Fez said:

Im pretty sure that magazines are provided with PR artwork from the developers, however would I know how to make screenshots from the teaser I had done that.
Thing is, the picture pretty good represents the visual style of the trailer. Nothing of that colorfoul EC-Comics inspired style from Fallout is in that trailer, instead only this greyfilter retardness.
All that Beth has accomplished with the trailer was a mediacore Fallout 1 Intro rip-off, with Ink Spot music and a few vault boy references pasted in, and of course Ron Perlman.

If thats enough for people to think Beth has grasped the setting...
Its not enough, but it is a lot more than most people were expecting.

Fez

Erudite
By this point I wouldn't really expect much of the old feel to it. It'll be just like playing one of those X-Com clones, it never has the same feel to it. At best it not as good as the original and at worst a hollow-eyed abomination wearing the stolen flesh of your beloved.

While indicative of where it is heading, the art direction is the least of your worries right now for this game.

Fez said:
By this point I wouldn't really expect much of the old feel to it. It'll be just like playing one of those X-Com clones, it never has the same feel to it. At best it not as good as the original and at worst a hollow-eyed abomination wearing the stolen flesh of your beloved.

While indicative of where it is heading, the art direction is the least of your worries right now for this game.

Well I agree with you. I have also already stated in another thread that I could live with a butchered setting if the rest of the game turned out good. I even like FO 2 :lol:

I was just pointing out that the trailer nowhere says for me that Beth got what the setting was about, or that they are willing or able to implent it into the game.

Oarfish

Prophet
sound better than what Oblivion had to offer

Oblivion sounded a damn sight better than what Oblivion had to offer, MSFD was particularly full of shit when it came to statements made to appease Real™ RPG aficionados. Also see Fargoths gold for flat out manipulation of reviewers without a bribe in sight.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I forgot to reply to this earlier.

mister lamat said:
Your father hands you up to have your DNA analyzed and you get to pick out all your character traits. Your dad takes off his mask to reveal similar traits to the ones you picked.
I was truly puzzled when I first read this. I couldn't really visualize how I was supposed to see my dad's traits. Then I realized they are talking about his fucking hair color!

I don't know which will turn out to suck more: Bethout, the idiot who wrote the review, or the cretins that keep saying "Look, it doesn't sound so bad!"

Zomg

Arbiter
I just don't want to move the goalposts on these guys. I expected full blown Oblivion with guns when I heard about the purchase, I expected total tone deafness about the Fallout humor and setting, I expected perfectly stock dumbshit FPS combat. I thought stuff like that Bethesda actually didn't have the technical ability to work with the engine to do much besides build maps, change textures and move the camera around. I expected another overtly shitty character growth system like the one they didn't improve a bit between Morrowind and Oblivion. I am surprised at even tentative evidence that any of these expectations were avoided.

Deacdo

Liturgist
Elhoim said:
- You grow up in the vault and as you grow you get your first book titled "You're Special"

It sounds like the political correct way of saying "You are an idiot".
What does Bethesda have against keeping character creation one step (is it for the simple minds their games are now targeted at)? Even since Morrowind you have slog through a bunch of dumb tutorials or bits that are trying to be "realistic" before you can complete your character build. I happen to like creating a bunch of different characters...but I'm not going to bore myself to tears with Bethesda's tacked on crap to do it.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I actually find the character creation part kind of neat.

The combat system sounds like complete shit. A FPS with pause? That's even worse than I imagined!

I knew it was going to be real-time.

Kotario

Liturgist
Deacdo said:
What does Bethesda have against keeping character creation one step (is it for the simple minds their games are now targeted at)? Even since Morrowind you have slog through a bunch of dumb tutorials or bits that are trying to be "realistic" before you can complete your character build. I happen to like creating a bunch of different characters...but I'm not going to bore myself to tears with Bethesda's tacked on crap to do it.
Less "immersive" I'd wager.

Yeah, they totally did get the setting.

mutanyi2.jpg

logo.jpg

Maybe you posted this before the article scans were available, I dunno. After that scans, whether you care for the setting or not, whoever says that Beth has understood the setting and Inspirations of Fallout is a clueless fuck.

Pasting some forced and out of place Vault Boy pictures + 50's music radio stations (GTA, yeah!) != Fallout setting.

denizsi

Arcane
It was entertaining for a moment, seeing so many gullible members going about like "oh it sounds good, so it must be good!". Such promises are the commong pretext of Beth. Until proved or disproved, words are worthless.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom